SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:13 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2005
44 Posts
EPP Material Source

Leadfeather,

Just stumbled onto this thread. I'm very impressed with the simplicity of this concept, clean design and construction, and your overall approach to developing, testing, and refining your ideas. VTOL design aside, can you say where you got your EPP foam sheets. I recently ordered some online but was not happy with the quality. Thanks.

Bob O.
bobfly5 is offline Find More Posts by bobfly5
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:24 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,566 Posts
Thanks Bob. This approach works pretty well for a quad set up with 4 tilting fans. I don't think the results would be quite as good with other fan arrangements.

I've bought foam from RCFoam.com and RCSkyflyer with good results in the past. The higher density stuff; 1.9 lb; is heavier, but quite a bit tougher than the 1.3 lb foam. I've also heard that all the epp comes from the same manufacturer and also that the foam does vary from batch to batch and may even vary depending on what part of the factory block it is cut from.

What issues were you having with your foam?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:27 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2005
44 Posts
EPP supply

Leadfeather,

Sounds like your source is same as mine. I got some of the lightweight stuff at RC Foam and it seemed very "flimsy." I wasn't sure which weight to get so I'll get some more of the higher weight stuff - and then work around the thickness variability. I liked your box fuselage for simplicity.

Bob O.

P.S. Was out with RD (Ran D. St. Clair) and his VTOL this morning at Baylands - he was flying entirely on the KK2, without the EagleTree Guardian. It's flying really well, the slow speed stability and control are very nice.
bobfly5 is offline Find More Posts by bobfly5
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:53 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfly5 View Post
Leadfeather,

Sounds like your source is same as mine. I got some of the lightweight stuff at RC Foam and it seemed very "flimsy." I wasn't sure which weight to get so I'll get some more of the higher weight stuff - and then work around the thickness variability. I liked your box fuselage for simplicity.

Bob O.

P.S. Was out with RD (Ran D. St. Clair) and his VTOL this morning at Baylands - he was flying entirely on the KK2, without the EagleTree Guardian. It's flying really well, the slow speed stability and control are very nice.
Another good epp supplier is FancyFoam. He sells 12" wides pieces of epp. I know his stuff is good.

Ran D is doing some really good VTOL stuff!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather