HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:06 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
you could also top hing with CA hinges, i did it for the flaps on the Heinkel, it would remove the pivot area from view, without having to re cut your slots, and rework the aileron LE which will more than likely make the aileron too narrow by the time you sort out the bevel for center hinging.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,025 Posts
OK, I'm done. If the hinges distract so much from the scale look of the airplane there doesn't seem to be any reason to continue the build.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,659 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant when I mentioned replacing them. Even I wouldn't insist on rebuilding the ailerons. Or would I?

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Don't give up on it at this late stage, Larry - it's looking superb.

The hinges are solid and functional so that's the main thing for a prototype build; some carefully-mixed paint will hide them..plus for any magazine pics a little 'Photoshopping' will remove them (and I volunteer to do it for you too

..just to throw in my own 'hinge' opinion, I always use strips from old floppy disks, sand the magnetic coating off, glue and pin. Never had one fail yet.

Keep the build going!

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Last edited by Harry Rule; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,604 Posts
The hinges on the tail feathers in the era were very visible: I think Larry has it about right.
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,290 Posts
Is this a flying machine or a museum peice... Larry, it looks fantastically great, I look forward to hearing about it's maiden and many wonderful flights.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Me too. It looks great, I'm learning some new techniques, and it would be a shame to see the build ended over something silly like how the hinges look.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,659 Posts
Okay, I'll stop trying to offer suggestions. Obviously they aren't wanted. I was actually trying to help.

Pete
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,659 Posts
Larry,
Sorry if I offended you mate, that was never my intention. The hinges will barely notice in the photos, but it just seemed a shame to have them risk drawing attention from the great job you were doing on the rib stitching when viewing the actual model.
Honestly, I was only trying to offer helpful suggestions. I never use pinned hinges these days simply because they're too visible for my taste - and I usually managed to make them stiff by getting glue or paint in them.

I hope you will continue with the model because it was looking really good. I even promise not to interupt in future. It'll be hard, but I'll persevere.

Pete
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:43 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,025 Posts
More stitches than the Frankenstein monster

After two days I finally got all 2000 rib stitches applied. Actually it was about four or five hours work spread over two days and there weren't 2000 stitches. I found that there were only about 34 stitches per rib rather than my original estimate of 40. So there were only around 1800 stitches total. Piece of cake.

To apply the stitches I marked off a piece of masking tape at 7/16" intervals. That's 3.5 scale inches which is pretty much the standard spacing for rib stitches. At least it is today. Who knows what it was in 1914. I then move the tape from rib to rib to get even spacing of the stitches as I dabbed on Mod Podge with a round toothpick.

Larry
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Vey nice mate the effect definately justifies the effort! Does the hodgepodge pulls own/shrink down much like pva, and tire one does?

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:46 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,025 Posts
Is aileron really French for small wing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Okay, I'll stop trying to offer suggestions. Obviously they aren't wanted. I was actually trying to help.

Pete
Sure you will. Just like I'll stop building this airplane. I've got several hours per day for better than a month into this build. No way I'll abandon it now. Actually, your comments on the aileron hinges turned into a positive for me. So please keep your suggestions coming as you see fit.

The aileron discussion made me do a little research, and to my chagrin I found that I got it backwards. The ailerons were bottom hinged, not top hinged. I have attached some computer generations of the aileron hinging on a Sopwith Baby and a diagram of a Sopwith Pup aileron hinge. Since they are derivatives of the Tabloid, chances are that the Tabloid ailerons were hinged the same way.

I also did an experiment and found that I can narrow the DuBro hinges so they come closer to looking like the full scale hinges. After all of this, I decided that the hinging method on my model has to change. I have the option of center hinging them per the plan or bottom hinging them per scale. Either way only requires modifying the leading edge of the ailerons. No biggy.

So, Pete, I'm leaving the call to you. I will do it whichever way you desire.

By the way, I apply vaseline to the hinge portion to keep glue and paint from stiffening pin hinges.

Larry
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
Vey nice mate the effect definately justifies the effort! Does the hodgepodge pulls own/shrink down much like pva, and tire one does?

Cheers
Craig
Thanks Craig. There is some shrinkage. Because it dries transparent it's hard to tell just how much.

Larry
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
After two days I finally got all 2000 rib stitches applied. Actually it was about four or five hours work spread over two days and there weren't 2000 stitches. I found that there were only about 34 stitches per rib rather than my original estimate of 40. So there were only around 1800 stitches total. Piece of cake.

To apply the stitches I marked off a piece of masking tape at 7/16" intervals. That's 3.5 scale inches which is pretty much the standard spacing for rib stitches. At least it is today. Who knows what it was in 1914. I then move the tape from rib to rib to get even spacing of the stitches as I dabbed on Mod Podge with a round toothpick.

Larry
Now that you're done with the stitching, I just recalled a technique that might have been simpler. Similar to the rivet stencils Fahim markets through Wowplanes, a stencil of slits might achieve a similar effect for rib stitching.

Mind you I haven't tried it, but the theory would be the same, yes?

Still, you ought to be happy your handiwork looks great.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,025 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion James. I have seen a lot of different ways to simplify the application of simulated stitching, but they all seem too sterile. Applying them one at a time like I did introduces some variation that, to me anyway, just looks more natural and scale.

Larry