HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
Don't move. I've got you covered.

What sci-fi series had replicators? I think it was Stargate. I don't know the source of the three-view Mike, so it very well could be a replica. I'll just have to take your word for it. I've attached the only photo I could find of an original with a V type undercarriage and ailerons. It's pretty close to the three-view. Looks like the number may be 1250. Note that it does have cross bracing between the two interplane struts. That issue popped up in Hugh's thread I believe. Unfortunately the top of the wing isn't visible so it's unknown as to whether or not it was armed.

Lest all of you think I've been slacking the last couple of days, I've attached photos of my current progress. I've been busy final sanding and covering. So far I've covered the fuselage open bay areas and the tail feathers. Still have the wings to go.

I've been covering with CoverLite. The instructions say to adhere it with BalsaLoc that has been applied to the airframe. I have used CoverLite before, but I have never been able to find any BalsaLoc at any of the venders from whom I purchase supplies. I have adhered the CoverLite with both StixIt and BalsaRite. And even though they both worked, unlike BalsaLoc, which is a water based adhesive, StixIt and BalsaRite are solvent based. As such they must be thinned with laquer thinner, they stink and they are a hassle.

I have read a few times in this forum that an easy way to apply CoverLite or LiteSpan, which is the same thing, is to coat the covering itself with BalsaLoc and then just apply the covering like any film covering with pre-applied adhesive. I would never attempt that with the solvent based adhesives. They're just too messy and stringy. But always looking for the easy way, I remembered reading in, I believe, Newtron's thread on his Martin MO-1 about a product called Mod Podge as a substitute for BalsaLoc. So I decided to give it a try.

Mod Podge was developed primarily for decoupage. It is an adhesive, sealer and finish all in one. The best things about it are that it is available at any craft store, even at Walmart, and it is about half the price of BalsaLoc for the same amount. Anyway, I found that it works a treat. It comes out of the container very thick like curdled milk . So I thinned it 50/50 with water so that it had the consistency of fresh milk. I then used a foam brush to apply a thin coat to the CoverLite. After applying the adhesive I rinsed the foam brush with water and it was ready to use again. After the thinned Mod Podge dried, about 10 to 15 minutes, I simply ironed it on to the airframe with my trim iron. My trim iron has two settings, hi and lo. I found that the lo setting was just the right temperature to activate the Mod Podge without shrinking the CoverLite. After the covering was adhered around the perifery of the frame, I put the iron on hi and ran the iron lightly over the surface of the covering to shrink it. You can see the results in the photos.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:00 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
lovely job mate, she worked out a treat for you.
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Good tip on the covering. I wasn't able to order Balsarite from Tower as they won't ship it air but I found a place that would ship Stix-it, so I ordered a can. I may still try this method anyway, or the glue stick method I've just learned about, as both sound a lot less messy.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:07 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
I don't know the source of the three-view Mike, so it very well could be a replica. I'll just have to take your word for it. I've attached the only photo I could find of an original with a V type undercarriage and ailerons. It's pretty close to the three-view. Looks like the number may be 1250. Note that it does have cross bracing between the two interplane struts. That issue popped up in Hugh's thread I believe. Unfortunately the top of the wing isn't visible so it's unknown as to whether or not it was armed.

Larry
Thanks for sharing that picture Larry, and sorry for hijacking your thread...but... 1214 was one of the two Tabloids built for the abandoned Gordon Bennet air races of 1914. 1215 was the second, a very differently-shaped version with few common features. I don't think Tabloid RNAS numbering went beyond 1215, but I'd be delighted to the proved wrong.

The aileron-equipped Tabloid in your picture looks authentic, except for: the rather large tyres and the suspiciously curved LE of the fin - it's as if a Pup fin and rudder had been grafted onto the fuselage, and the wing tips are not Tabloid, are they? Nor the upper wing cut-out, or the aluminium side plate...etc.

I suspect you are right, and that it is a replica, built perhaps for Stargate , or some other film...

Your covering looks superb, and many thanks for the Mod Podge tip - I'll try to source some in UK.

Mike
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:06 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,021 Posts
The photo is of a Martinsyde S1 -serial no. 4250

See: http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft25642.htm
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:41 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,660 Posts
Thanks Martin - of course I knew that...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:15 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Martin has beaten me to it. When I first looked at that photo I thought it looked more like an S1 than a Tabloid. If only the tailplane was visible. The virtually parallel, narrow track u/c legs are a big indication though.

As regards the aileron on raked struts issue is concerned, I'm sure I saw reference to ailerons being added to earlier versions and mention of the marked lack of conformity throughout the production of the Tabloid. Even that was further messed with by field mods. So, until someone can say with total certainty that no Tabloid appeared in the form I've drawn, I'm happy enough with it. I suspect the 3 view it's based on originally appeared in MAN since it's among a batch of such drawings I bought on Ebay. A real bargain for me, a dead loss for the seller - the postage cost more than he charged for the item and postage.
Whether it's an 'impression' of a Tabloid, a composite Tabloid or just a 3 view of a replica doesn't matter to me. In my mind, it typifies how a Tabloid should look. As I mentioned earlier, adding skids is a simple enough task for those wishing to depict a specific aircraft, as is omitting the ailerons. I just happen to feel that what we have here is more practical for every day flying than either option.

Larry,
I might have to investigate that adhesive. Half the cost of Balsaloc sounds very tempting and it certainly appears to work well.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
A Martinsyde S1 -serial no. 4250!!! OK, my head is hung in shame as I slink into my punishment corner. I shall banish that photo from my Tabloid album.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:24 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,660 Posts
Hi Pete,

The RNAS Tabloid SS3 Scouts had ailerons, but they were a different beast altogether, even if they shared Tabloid wings. And I can't find any reference to an SS1 Tabloid with ailerons. But I agree that it's the look of the thing that matters, which is why I suggested that a model of the replica would have the best of both worlds - a scale model of a Tabloid with ailerons...

Larry's model is looking superb and I'm eager to see it flying.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:08 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Hi Mike,
I understand why scale buffs like yourself and Hugh could struggle with what I've drawn. Just as to me it is everything I think a Tabloid should be, it's the things it isn't that rub for you chaps.

I did a quick search and there appear to be several UK sources for Mod Podge, including Ebay. I wonder if it would work for attaching tissue to micro size models? Maybe I'll try it.

Pete
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:11 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,526 Posts
I have been trying 'gluesticks' to attach polyspan to open framework models lately. I read about it here in RCGroups. A dollar buys a plastic blister pack of six. Just go around the framework with the gluestick, lay down your covering and hit the edges with a sealing iron, then shrink. This is not the brand that I use but it should still work. For the price, one can afford to test around. Here in my location, I buy from the Dollar General Store (poor man's Wal-Mart)

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:22 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
And while you guys are arguing about scale details Larry got his cowl parts to us so Sparky can make some nice vac formed ones for the rest of the world. (yes, Larry will get his balsa parts back as well as a few sets of vac formed parts).

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:50 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Tony,
That's another option, but I don't know how it would work with something like Litespan. No need for the covering iron with tissue, just glue stick the edges of the framework (carefully)and apply the tissue. Once on it can be shrunk and sealed if required.

Argue? You can't possibly mean me. As if I would.

Pete
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
*Blonde moment post deleted*
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Last edited by bdshort; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:11 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Argue? You can't possibly mean me. As if I would.

Pete
Nor me. I'm always right