HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:56 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,620 Posts
I love your application of the hinges. I never thought to install them in an angled position.... very nice!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:09 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,679 Posts
Spreading my wings

Thanks Phillip. Not my idea, just something I copied from other builds.

I glued the three sections of the top wing together. Per the plan, I added the proper amount of dihedral by propping the wing tips up 3/4". When I built the two top wing panels and the two bottom wing panels I tilted the top of the root rib of each panel towards the wing tip by 3 degrees in anticipation of adding dihedral. With the exception of final sanding and covering, this pretty much finishes the wing construction.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Last edited by Lnagel; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:36 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,679 Posts
That which holds all other things in position

Now that the wings are done I'm back on the fuselage. In the interim I did manage to obtain some 1/8" ply so I could finish cutting the formers.

Preliminary to glueing the formers to the fuselage sides I drilled mounting holes for the motor in former F1 and epoxied in some blind nuts. One caution here, make sure former F1 is the right way around. The motor is mounted a bit to the left of center to compensate for the right thrust angle. I also glued the battery shelf into former F2. Both of these formers are made from the aforementioned 1/8" ply so that they are strong enough to hold their respective loads.

I then glued formers F1, F2, and F5 at a 90 degree angle to the right fuselage side. Once the glue had set up I glued the left fuselage side to the assembly making a nice box structure. I also added the 1/8" ply undercarriage mounts.

Larry
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Coming along very nicely Larry, good clean build. Glad to see someone parsimonious like me cutting their own parts. hehe

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:23 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,679 Posts
Thanks Bill.

Parsimonious, hmm, I'm going to have to look that one up. I don't know if I've been insulted or not. Just kidding

Larry
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,679 Posts
Double cross in the end

With the forward section of the fuselage essentially complete, it is time to finish the aft section by installing the 1/8" square balsa crossmembers and clamping the end together. I started by cutting all of the crossmembers to length in pairs. In order to get everything lined up properly while installing the crossmembers I pinned the fuselage upside down to the plan view. Because I had already installed the center section struts I had to let the front portion of the fuselage hang over the edge of the building board.

I found that when I pinned the top bass longerons to the plan so that they followed the proper curve, the lower longerons, which are on top, bowed out too far. To hold these longerons tight against the ends of the crossmembers I used simple clamps made up of a piece of bass and a rubber band.

Larry
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:55 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,679 Posts
Three sheets to the wind

With the basic fuselage structure built it's time to spruce it up a little bit. The full size Tabloid had the forward portion of the fuselage sheeted with aluminum and the aft portion was fabric covered. On Pete's model the aluminum sheeted portion of the fuselage is sheeted with balsa. It is up to the builder to make the balsa look like aluminum.

The forward fuselage sides are built up from 1/8" balsa sheet during the initial build. The top needs to have 1/16" balsa sheeting added over formers that form the proper curve. The sheeting for the top needs to be a bit over five inches wide. So at least two pieces are needed when using common three inch and four inch wide balsa stock.

Sheeting over the first three formers is straight forward as they are all the same height and width. However, the last former is a bit shorter and narrower which forms a slight compound curve at the aft end of sheeted area to which the sheeting must conform. For those reasons I decided to sheet the fuselage top in three sections each approximately 1.75 inches wide. The first section I laid down the middle. Then it was just a matter of massaging the edges of the two outside sections to make everything match up. This was basically planking with very wide planking strips that made the sheeting conform to the aft compound curve relatively easy. I did moisten the outside of the sheets when glueing them to the formers to make them more pliable.

After sheeting the forward portion of the fuselage I attached the rear fuselage formers and stringers to the turtle deck. This area, of course, will eventually be covered with simulated fabric.

Larry
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,679 Posts
A tale of a tail

The tail feathers for this airplane are assembled from a laminated balsa outline with the internal structure made from sheet balsa.

I did deviate from the plan a bit with the laminated outline for the elevators. IMHO the rear outside corner of the elevators has a radius that is just too small to smoothly bend the balsa around. Also making the laminations completely encompass the entire horizontal stabilizer and both elevators in one continuous piece would take a full 36" length strip at minimum and would be somewhat tricky to manipulate. Therefore, I made one lamination that encompassed the leading edge of the horizontal stab and the outside edge of the elevators. I made two more laminations that encompassed the elevator trailing and inside edges.

To make the laminations I used copies of both stabilizers, the elevators and the rudder to make a form from foam board. I covered the edges of the foam board with clear cellophane tape to keep the laminations from adhering to the foam board. Once the laminations were dry I removed them from the foam board and pinned them to the plan. I then filled in the internal structure.

Larry
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:12 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,679 Posts
Tabloid gets a nose job

It's a bit of an understatement to say that the engine cowling on this airplane is a bit tricky. It goes from a somewhat round profile at the aft end to a horizontal chisel shape at the forward end.

Pete's plan specifies carving and hollowing a block of balsa to make the engine cowling. I suppose viable alternatives would be to use fiberglass or vacuum pulled plastic as Hugh did. But even with fiberglass or plastic a form still has to be carved from some other medium such as balsa or foam.

The problem I had is that I didn't have a large hunking block of balsa from which to carve the cowling. So as with everything else when building scale models, if you don't have it, make it. I essentially made up the requisite block of balsa by glueing a bunch of 1/4" balsa sheets together. The advantage of building the block from quarter inch sheet is that I didn't have to add balsa to the block in places where it would eventually be carved or sanded away. I marked up the drawing of former F3 and the cowling side profile on the plans to use as guides for cutting and assembling the balsa sheets into an acceptable shape. I ended up with a structure that was pre-hollowed and required a minimum of carving and sanding to get the final shape.

Larry
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
She is coming along very nicely mate.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Looking great Larry, I like your rubber band clamp aid on the longerons I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
737 Posts
Very nice build! I'll be watching this.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:33 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,503 Posts
I love the cowl Larry - one of the very distinctive features of the Tabloid that's easy to get wrong (I know!).

Perhaps you could send it to one of the vac form boys so that future builders wouldn't need to go through the process
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Or just to Charlie, who could pass it on to Sparky so everyone can have a nice plastic cowl.
Then you could have your wood one back.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
I can pull you a plastic cowl. I still have the master.

Mines a slightly different shape though. Comes down straight to the nose from the curvature of the upper formers.

Cheers,

Hugh

PS. Still trying to work out how to securely attach in flight but still have access to my battery.
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV