SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,849 Posts
Thanks Larry, I think that might be the only thing I didn't try!
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:54 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
Fill 'er up and check the oil please.

Remember full service gas stations before the 1970s? Instead of a convenience store they had a little office with a greasy desk and cash register. They also usually sported a garage with a lift and a sign that said "mechanic on duty". Just don't ask about the mechanic's skill level. It also seems like they all had a pay phone and a cigarette vending machine. But the best thing was that gasoline was 25 cents a gallon.

Anyway, both the 3-view and Pete's plans show a fuel filler port in front of the cockpit and an oil filler port behind the cockpit. As such, I thought it prudent to add them. Rather than mount the fill tubes flush with the sheeting as is usually done, I drilled oversize holes in the sheeting so the fill tubes actually emerge from under the sheeting as with the full size airplane. I also added some trim I made from aluminum duct tape around the holes. I then glued some balsa sheet shimmed 1/8" below the fuselage sheeting. I made up some filler tubes by wrapping some aluminum duct tape around a plastic straw. I then glued the filler tubes to the balsa sheet below the fuselage sheeting. For the caps on the filler tubes I used the end plugs from some cheap BIC ballpoint pens.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:29 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,793 Posts
Larry,
That's looking great. Those pen ends are useful, aren't they?

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
Bottoms up

I finished off the fuselage bottom. First I permanently attached the UC with glue and CA saturated thread. I filled the open area between the UC struts with 1/8" balsa sheet per the plan. Also per the plan, I made a hatch from 1/32" ply that fits in the open area behind the UC and provides access to the rudder and elevator servos. Lastly I covered the bare wood areas with the faux aluminum.

Larry
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:34 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
she is looking great mate, not long now!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:14 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Ian, I used low tac vinyl shelf paper for the painting masks. I cheated a bit in that I have access to a vinyl cutter, but they can be cut by hand with a scalpel almost as easily. If you want any more details of the process, just ask.

Larry
More please.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:58 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
More please.

Jim
Shades of Oliver Twist.

I'll see what I can do Jim. Unfortunately when I applied the markings to this plane I didn't take any detailed photos of the process. But, for your information and edification, maybe I can do a mockup of my procedure in the near future.

Larry
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:06 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
Looks like it's been over a month since I've posted any progress on this airplane. Pete must be wondering where his Tabloid is.

Status as of now. All that needs to be done is install the push/pull cables and glue the wings on then it can fly. However, we're having a particularly cold and nasty winter this year. Temperatures have barely gotten above 20 degrees farenheit for the last month and there are several inches of snow on the ground. Since flying has been out of the question, I am working on some detailing.

For one, I am not happy with the color I applied to simulate doped fabric, so right now I am in the process of repainting. So far I have only done the top of one of the bottom wing panels to see if I can achieve the effect I am looking for. I think I'm getting there.

Larry
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:38 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
That looks OK. But I liked the other as well. Took it as fresh Irish Linen.
If you have a look at the colour of the Irish Linen that the Vintage Aviator guys used on their Early BE2c, it's very similar to your first effort.

The Fuselage is going to be a pain to redo...

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:33 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,741 Posts
IMHO it looks much better. Keep up the good work.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:09 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,739 Posts
Hi Larry,

I asked the guys who were building a replica Sopwith Pup at the Christchurch NZ museum what colour "natural linen" really was. They were using Irish linen for the replica covering. Their reply was that in it's natural state it was white. The dope that was used turned it off-white towards the cream in your lower wing, and when exposed to the sun and weather, it turned the familiar pale straw colour of the upper wing. But only on the upper surfaces, they said. The lower surfaces remained the creamy colour because they were not exposed to the same conditions as the upper surfaces, but would have been stained by the water and mud thrown up by the wheels when landing and taxiing.

I know this doesn't help...but I think the colours are OK for whatever state of play your model repesents.
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:31 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
Hugh,
I'm in agreement with you on the color of factory fresh Irish linen. So I have a choice of coloring the model for factory fresh or coloring it for being out in the field for an extended length of time.

Thanks Jim. I'm keeping up the work, good or bad.

Mike,
Actually, it does help. Now if I want to represent the airplane as a war weary model I only have to change the color of the upper surfaces. I was wondering about the color change on the lower surfaces vs the upper surfaces since most of the change is probably the result of ultraviolet light from the sun.

Larry
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
After pondering this for a while I decided that because I have already applied the markings and lettering, it would be too difficult to age the airplane by yellowing the covering. So I will stay with the freshly applied linen color. That doesn't, however, mean the airplane didn't get dirty from use. Therefore, I applied some grunge to the fuselage and will do the same for the wings.

Larry
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:51 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
857 Posts
Looks much better with the weathering!
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:53 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,793 Posts
Larry,
You've done this sort of thing before, haven't you? Looks really good.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE