Closed Thread
Old Dec 01, 2003, 09:11 AM
Balloonatic....
Norcross, GA
Joined Aug 2003
236 Posts
December Fly-In Pics and Conversation

Here's the first for this month

Had a blast yesterday - flew the Dandy Sport for about an hour. Then went home to complete the Tantrum - still have some work to do on that one - anyone have pic of where the cables exit the rear end of the fuselage - that is the one area of the manual that is deficient.

danni
dannirr is offline Find More Posts by dannirr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:36 AM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
I can take a pic of mine when I get home tonight.

Jason
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Old Dec 01, 2003, 07:09 PM
Balloonatic....
Norcross, GA
Joined Aug 2003
236 Posts
Razor and gearbox

I got a razor 400 that has a B gearbox and pinion already attached. I want to remove the brass pinion from the motor shaft. I need tips on how to do this as it is very tight. Also, how to put the new one on.

Thanks,
danni
Old Dec 02, 2003, 06:23 AM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Danni,

I was having issues with my camera last night but I'll get the pics of the P-P on the Tantrum posted tonight.

Removing the pinion: do you have a gws pinion puller? I have one and it is very easy to remove the pinions. To put on the new pinion, I stand the motor vertical and support the motor shaft on the back of the motor. Then I hold the pinion over the top of the shaft and lightly tap it on with a rubber mallet. This lets me drive the pinion pasted the end of the shaft so that it will line up with the spur in a gws gearbox.

I think Tony has another method where he uses a vice to press the pinions on.

Jason
Old Dec 02, 2003, 10:50 AM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Man, the year is FLYING by, Pardon the punn.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Dec 02, 2003, 11:00 AM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Pinion pushing and pulling...

Danni: Here's an interesting discussion I found in searching around the EZone. Check out rpvpilot's two links that show how he mounted his Razor 350 in an empty 380 can which he then mounted to his GWS gearbox. Pretty clever.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r&pagenumber=1

Best regards! JMS
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Dec 02, 2003, 12:56 PM
Balloonatic....
Norcross, GA
Joined Aug 2003
236 Posts
New Moths

Hi all,

I was looking for something on the GWS site and came across two new versions / mods of their Tiger moth that look very cool!

They are introducing a 3D version - see http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/3dtm.htm
(I'm thinking Mike D and Tony here)

and a 400 version - http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/tm400.htm(I'm thinking Michael here)

Now we can have some real dogfights!

Thank G for all that model memory....

danni
Old Dec 02, 2003, 05:42 PM
Electric Addict
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,170 Posts
and you might as well forget about inverted flight... it still has the undercambered wing.

Definately more agile, but also definately not 3d...
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Dec 02, 2003, 05:56 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Bill-
I read that thread on what 3d is not. Got a little messy after a while, but the general thing i got is that if you can control the plane when flying below stall speed, That is 3D.
The TM will never, of course, be 3D.
But ailerons might be kinda fun.

and mike D is right. i HAVE flown my Moth inverted.
Not for long, and not under control. heheheh

Tone
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Dec 02, 2003, 06:00 PM
Electric Addict
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,170 Posts
others have added alierons to the slow stick and TM before and they dont really work that well. With an undercambered wing you will make a lot of comprimises in the name of maximum lift. one is drag and the other is alieron effectiveness. Mostly because the airspeed is very low over the wing to begin with...

Call me skeptical... I think it will be a huge flop... just a heavy TM.

The speed 400 version looks interesting though... flat bottom wing and larger wingspan. Should be interesting...
Old Dec 02, 2003, 06:35 PM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Re: December Fly-In Pics and Conversation

Quote:
Originally posted by dannirr
Here's the first for this month

Had a blast yesterday - flew the Dandy Sport for about an hour. Then went home to complete the Tantrum - still have some work to do on that one - anyone have pic of where the cables exit the rear end of the fuselage - that is the one area of the manual that is deficient.

danni
Danni, here are some pics of the pull pull exiting my Tantrum. Where the line went through the covering, I first put a piece of clear tape over the covering then poked a hole in it. The tape will prevent the slit in the covering from growing. Hope these help.

Jason
Old Dec 02, 2003, 06:36 PM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Tantrum P-P

another...
Old Dec 02, 2003, 06:39 PM
Electric Addict
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,170 Posts
if you can build light, the hacker is a good match. I always seem to build heavy though so my hacker didnt quite have enough punch for my flying style.

I am currently using:

mega 16/15/4 (see a pattern here?)
2.5:1 gearbox
12x6 prop
3s2pTP2100
AUW probably close to 30oz

I am using the cheap model motors gearbox which is pretty loud. If you can find a better quality gearbox I would recommend that... this seems to work fine, but is annoyingly loud for an airplane that reverberates like a snare drum!

you will have to modify the firewall to get it to fit. it is designed exactly for the hacker.

I am curious how loud the mega box you have is... It might be a better match. Both are offset innerdriven boxes...
Old Dec 02, 2003, 06:43 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Yeah Mike i agree, and i think the 3D moth is just something Lin wanted his guys to do for him, I don't think it'll be part of the kit.
hehe but ya just never know...

Man those SA "G" planes and the MM Tantrum are just too cool.
Tone
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Dec 02, 2003, 08:02 PM
Balloonatic....
Norcross, GA
Joined Aug 2003
236 Posts
Jason - thanks very much - that helped a lot - although I did use micro connectors as I could not get the tension rights by pulling the string through the control horn hole - I needed some way to fix it in place while I tied and CA would not do it.

Now when I get the motor ready - I'll be ready! That'll be next week as I leave for a balloon festival on Thursday and won't be back till next week.

I can't wait to fly the Tantrum.

danni
Closed Thread