HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
Dunno if you're interested, but the float kit for the FH500 is now available on the StevensAero site...
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, ME, West Bath
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
ooh. Nice.

I think I'll wait until after a successful maiden flight before floats though.

I just spent the evening repairing a few spots on the wing I had managed to bunge up. Working a little too fast and not tack gluing when I should caused me to mis-align in a few spots. That's the bad news of the evening.

The good news. Repairs are done. Wing is straight. All gluing is how complete. Even the ailerons.

Plus I now have a very good idea of what it will take to repair any wing damage should I need to after any "rough" flying.

Now I need to do a lot of sanding. The leading edge still needs shaped and the whole model could use a good going over before covering.
dmcMaine is offline Find More Posts by dmcMaine
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
Ok. I think I'm ready to start covering. I've sanded about as well as I can. I'm still not super happy with my work: too much CA used so even sanded there are some ugly joints. But live and learn.

I had planned to keep with a cover scheme close to the picture. Transparent yellow and white.

One big question. The wing. Most guides say to cover the bottom first then the top to help hide the seam. Is this still a good idea when the top is transparent and the bottom is solid? Or should I do something else?

Basically any advice on how to approach the wing and fuselage would be appreciated: number of pieces, order, etc.

@campbelltf: I've read through your build. How did you approach it?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
Don't worry too much about those joints, the covering will obscure a lot of it.

On the wing, cover the top first due to your color scheme. I do believe the rule of thumb is bottom first, but you're not going to mess anything up. The more important rule is to not shrink the covering all the way on one side, alternate back and forth to prevent introducing a twist.

Referring to the picture below, I laid the leading edge transparent yellow strip from one wingtip to the other, tacking it at each wingtip, then the center, and then working back and forth until I had the outside edges tacked. Then I shrank it. I left the area covered in white exposed, then l ran the second yellow panel from wingtip to wingtip like the first. Then I laid the white strip. The seams between yellow and white land on the spars. After that, I did the entire bottom all in one piece of white. Don't try to cut the covering to the fit the aileron bays before applying it. Just make it one big rectangle. Cover and shrink, then cut. With the white, you can cut out from the corners of the aileron bays and use the excess white to cover the inside edge of the bay.

On the fuselage, I did the yellow first, one piece for the left side, one for right side. Then one piece of white on the bottom from the tail up to the TE of the hatch. On the front I did the bottom in one piece from nose hatch. Then one piece for the top in front of the windshield. Then the sides were one piece each left and right side with the curve that I showed in my build thread.

All that makes sense to me, but please let me know if it's not coming across clearly. I can snap some more detailed pictures if that would help.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
205 Posts
Campbelltf, You've got the procedure nailed. The only thing I can add is to use an opaque material like Aerolite for the white, so that there is no color bleed through.
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
Yes, I used AeroLite for both the white and transparent yellow on mine. The yellow was fine, not as orange-y as the FH500 covering shown on the SA website. The white, I wish I had used AeroFilm, as the yellow shows through the white AeroLite.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
969 Posts
Interesting thread.When I first flew, building was mandatory, as there was no ARTF or RTF.
I used to just bang them together to get the chance to get them into the air.Now building is a choice.Building is a skill, well worth learning.Look at this:http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...-ww-ii-pusher/
If I could only build like this!or even care to.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Apr 2007
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibongo View Post
Look at this:
The suspense is killing me!!!!!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcMaine View Post
Ok. I think I'm ready to start covering. I've sanded about as well as I can.
After I do that, I take the plane outside and blow it off with canned air. I hate when you get a little bit of sawdust under the covering
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
Yikes. My covering technique needs a LOT of work!

So...the adventure so far. I cleaned the various parts off after sanding. Dry fit it all together to ensure everything was still square. I had to adjust the wing saddle slightly at this point as I had managed to sand until one wingtip was higher than the other. Vacuum, and a good wipe down with tack cloth.

I started with the smaller bits. The tail surfaces and ailerons worked just fine. A couple of tiny wrinkles along the curved portion but they were very tiny and not in a spot where they would be seen. So far so good.

Then comes the fuselage.... I really should have started with a boxier plane. Those curved sheets just aft of the cabin ... shudder ... I just could not get the knack of those. Just a leeetle wrinkled.Same with the bottom of the nose. The curves there were killing me. On the other hand, the tail worked fairly well apart from a jagged seam in one spot. The white portions of the fuse side look decent. I semi-freehanded the curve from the picture. Using very sharp scissors instead of a hobby knife to cut the curves worked very well for me. Nice smooth curves.

I moved on to the wing and realized that because very poor material management I didn't have enough yellow left to cover it. I'm placing an order for more rolls of covering tonight. C'est la vie.

I'm not posting pictures of today's work. Suffice it to say that it looks very much like a first-timers first attempt at covering. (I'm glad my old shop teacher isn't here to grade this one as well! )

I am using AeroFILM not AeroLITE. The yellow is more orangish..identical to the photos on the Stevens' website. The white is also fully opaque and the yellow doesn't show through the overlap.

While waiting for more covering, I can go ahead and install the electronics and such in the fuse. Except.... I could have sworn I'd ordered Dean's connectors for my battery and ESC but now I can't find them.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
Welp. Until the mailman decides to be nice to me, and I can track down dean's connectors, I'm as far as I can get. Rudder/elevator servos are in. Tail is installed. (Straight and square I hope. I did measure, really! )

Left to do:
- Cover wing, install ailerons
- solder dean's to battery and esc
- install motor

I do have a question about the rudder/elevator servos. The picture in the guide shows a nice neat installation. But what about the wires? How are they run out to the receiver? Right now I have them coming out from under the side of the servo tray, and led forward with the excess taped to the side out of the way. The reason I ask is that the picture doesn't show the servo wires, leading me to believe a hole is opened in the former in the model pictured.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Apr 2007
205 Posts
Quote:
I do have a question about the rudder/elevator servos. The picture in the guide shows a nice neat installation. But what about the wires? How are they run out to the receiver? Right now I have them coming out from under the side of the servo tray, and led forward with the excess taped to the side out of the way. The reason I ask is that the picture doesn't show the servo wires, leading me to believe a hole is opened in the former in the model pictured.
If you study the picture for step 169 closely (pg 57), you can just see the servo wires passing through former F6. Basically, the wires extend up through the servo mount F33, through the fuselage crutch, forward through former F6, then back down through the crutch and F33 into the radio compartment.

Mark
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
Ah ha. Therein lies my confusion. My former F6 wasn't hollow, but instead solid bearing the Stevens' Aero logo. (see pic).

So I should open a hole there to route the servo wires through?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Apr 2007
205 Posts
Quote:
Ah ha. Therein lies my confusion. My former F6 wasn't hollow, but instead solid bearing the Stevens' Aero logo. (see pic).

So I should open a hole there to route the servo wires through?
Yes, that's the solution. Apparently that former was changed post-development. I'll get with Bill and get it corrected. Thanks!

Mark
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
969 Posts
Is there a uk distributor for the Stevens kits?Their quality reminds of the now defunct Pilot range.I'd like to build something again.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo