HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:58 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
416 Posts
Discussion
Nitro Planes 30cc Clipped Wing Cub

Anybody converted one? I ordered one on sale yesterday and am going to run it electric. I was thinking about the Turnigy G110 with 2, 4S 4500 batteries running is series.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-092-p...-30cc-kit.html

BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, OH, East Liverpool
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
I purchased one also i called NP and they recomended a Bigfoot 160 with a 75 amp esc when i asked them about the lipo's and prop they didnt know what size. I wanna make sure i have enough power but im concerned about the cg.
impala_gene is offline Find More Posts by impala_gene
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:42 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
416 Posts
I just weighed everything up at 7.28 pounds without batteries, motor or ESC. I believe that Bigfoot 160 is over kill but if we run that with 2 Nano 4S 4500 and a 100A Castle ICE the weight is 10.98 pounds. The Bigfoot is 2700 watts making it 245 watts per pound which is a bit much. However if we don't run it flat out it would stay cool and might end up being a good choice. They are on sale at Hobbypartz.com for $55.00. http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m608-big...335-245kv.html
However I think I will need a larger Kv motor so I can run 8s and a smaller prop.

I am going to get the fuse assembled so I can play with battery placement and see what I need to do to get the CG right. After that I can see what motor would work out best. If I need weight up front I will go with a bigger motor.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
CMP 30cc

I seen a thread on here where somebody built a sliding tray to hold the lipos and it was mounted over the servos n slide out the door.I been looking at hobbypartz also im still in limbo
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:00 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
416 Posts
If you can get past the writing on the wings and fuselage it's a really nice plane. The quality of the build and covering is as good as I have ever seen. It seems to be strong and light; I expect it to be a really great flyer. Control rod tubes are installed and positioned well, control surfaces are slotted straight, it even comes with a nice set of light weight correct looking wheels and tires. The landing gear is a bit heavy compared to a Robart set I have for another 1/4 scale Cub but it looks strong. All in all I was very impressed. I think this thing is going to be a lot of fun.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Im new to this i seen the plane and liked it. So now im trying my best to do the research on it before i mess or do something wrong. It would be helpful if you keep posting and pictures cause im gonna follow if you dont mind.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:17 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala_gene View Post
Im new to this i seen the plane and liked it. So now im trying my best to do the research on it before i mess or do something wrong. It would be helpful if you keep posting and pictures cause im gonna follow if you dont mind.
Hi and welcome to the hobby! This is a cool plane but I am not sure it is a good choice for a beginner. If you do not have much flying time I would suggest a smaller trainer type of airplane until you get comfortable flying.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
I've been flying about a year and the Phoenix simulator about 6 months and it seems like the bigger slow flyers i can handle better.I'm gonna build this and get more sim time over the winter and give a shot next year.I'm gonna try to get some stick time in this winter weather permitting.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:24 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala_gene View Post
I've been flying about a year and the Phoenix simulator about 6 months and it seems like the bigger slow flyers i can handle better.I'm gonna build this and get more sim time over the winter and give a shot next year.I'm gonna try to get some stick time in this winter weather permitting.
That sounds like a good plan. I agree that bigger planes are easier to fly.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I have a slightly smaller '70s vintage nitro clipped-wing club I'm converting (anyone need a K&B 0.40?), the way I land maybe I should build landing gear like that for it...
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I have a slightly smaller '70s vintage nitro clipped-wing club I'm converting (anyone need a K&B 0.40?), the way I land maybe I should build landing gear like that for it...
The eFlight Super Cub 25e gear might fit.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...FSpnOgodykgAuQ
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
That would look a lot better too!
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
416 Posts
Ended up getting a Tacon 110 Bigfoot, here is the progress so far. Found out the hard way the instructions were off by 35mm on the distance from the firewall to the base of the prop mount. I should have know better. I still have to epoxy the dowels to the firewall and all lock nuts.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
thats over a inch and a quarter off did you run into anymore problems yet ?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:17 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
416 Posts
It look like they changed the design of the firewall location, moving it back 35mm, possibly to improve strength. However, the instructions show it further forward.