HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
1 day left! Lovely weather here today so I'm going to make a concerted effort to get a flight worth bragging about. Now that I have scratched the 3D itch and have finished tweaking my ASW 28 I can devote some time to the Specter.

Wrapping up the second month I think i have a handle on the format for entries. Once again i thank you all for your patience and contributions. With winter closing in for the northern hemisphere I suspect that entries will be rather few but at least we have a place to talk and dream about flying. As always; feel free to make any suggestions or criticisms or ideas to improve the contest.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Well? Lots of strong lift and lots of strong sink with a variable breeze. I had no problem flying until my eyes and neck got tired but nothing very long without multiple climbs. I have an uncanny knack for finding boomers after my second or third motor run. Tomorrow might be even better conditions, and I won't have to come home to wait for a package, so I still have a day to crack the leader board. I must say that I really enjoy flying the sailplanes when it's cool but sunny. I even got a few minutes flying the bubble over the baseball diamond at DLG height.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:45 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
455 Posts
Finally got to get out and fly again! Sandy has pretty much left NC, but it is still pretty windy and unsettled - great time to fly!

Marin Rudolph (MMR)
Glider name: Aksent II DLG
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 10/31/2012, 13:00 Eastern
Duration of flight: 17:14

I really was not expecting much other than some flying. I put 1-1/2 oz in and gave it a light toss, even though conditions were challenging I was able to go for 3 minutes - lotsa lift, lotsa sink, lotsa wind (10 to 15) = lotsa fun especially after being grounded for a while.
So a couple of launches later I throw right into this patch of lift and within 30 seconds I'm already way high - so I decide to keep riding it. Ended up being able to find enough patches of lift to stretch the flight
Nigel, sorry to sneak this one in, was a great surprise to me that the air was that lifty.

Back at work now ...

Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
You slipped that one in under the wire, Martin. I found the lift to be capricious again today. Long flights but multiple climbs were the order of the day once again. At least I got to make the local geese nervous again. They have decided "my" field is their favorite grazing area. They don't care if I walk up to within a few feet of them but they run for the trees once the big, strange, bird is flying above them.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Another month in the books.

A hearty congrats to the winners and my heartfelt sympathies to those, like myself, who couldn't find the lift with one climb. New entries can be posted here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762570
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:20 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,145 Posts
I'll try to get out this weekend and work on my three-peat.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:12 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR View Post
Finally got to get out and fly again! Sandy has pretty much left NC, but it is still pretty windy and unsettled - great time to fly!

Marin Rudolph (MMR)
Glider name: Aksent II DLG
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 10/31/2012, 13:00 Eastern
Duration of flight: 17:14

I really was not expecting much other than some flying. I put 1-1/2 oz in and gave it a light toss, even though conditions were challenging I was able to go for 3 minutes - lotsa lift, lotsa sink, lotsa wind (10 to 15) = lotsa fun especially after being grounded for a while.
So a couple of launches later I throw right into this patch of lift and within 30 seconds I'm already way high - so I decide to keep riding it. Ended up being able to find enough patches of lift to stretch the flight
Nigel, sorry to sneak this one in, was a great surprise to me that the air was that lifty.

Back at work now ...

Martin
Haha, that's ok Martin, I will forgive you lol!
Nothing going on here at all now regards any thermlling, I managed a couple of flights with the spitfire yesterday b4 the winds got up but that's about it.
Thinking of getting something for indoors now for winter, probably a nano cpx, never had a 3d heli so would be a challenge and looks like fun, but on the other hand it's not brushless and therefor will probably eat motors etc!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield