HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
I'm looking forward to the new generation too but I'm not willing to be a beta tester. I'll let others find and solve the bugs. I'm very happy with mine in the meantime and I'll pick up a few more receivers if I don't upgrade the module. I'm also curious to see how it sells at a slightly higher price. I have often thought that they could actually increase their sales by doing a very minor change, calling it "version 3", and slapping on a $150.00 or even higher price tag. A lot of modelers follow the "too good to be true" motto and are actually put off by the low price.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:37 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
The low price reflects the lack of quality control and cheap components but cheap switches/gimbals can be replaced if and when needed and you do your own inspection on the quality and solder up any dodgy bits and then you are good to go!
Having been a electronics technician for 30 years I would rather buy cheap and check it myself.
More of a worry is that they make the first batch and find that they need to change the hardware completely meaning incompatablity to updated softwares-I might see if I can wait till next spring at least just to see how things pan out-i'm happy enough with my dx6i where I fly it's usually just me and occationally one other flier so dsm2 is OK.
Gonna be hard resisting though!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
I'm with you, nigel. Basically, the Chinese steal good technology so, if it works out of the box, it will probably work well for a decent lifespan. It's always a case of "buyer beware" and, specifically with a radio, it's a good idea to inspect everything one can reach and do careful range checks. I've been lucky and the only issue I've had was a antenna joint in one of my receivers that demanded a dollop of solder.

I would feel bad about buying Chinese stuff if they were stealing from local companies but, since they are stealing from Japanese companies who farm out much of their production to other low wage states, I figure that they will just drive all prices down over time and/or start offering higher grade products themselves.

Speaking of beta testing: HK has a new "9 gram" metal gear servo that looks like a HKT900 with a switch of gears. I'll wait for others to test the first batch but, on paper, they look like a great deal for sailplanes. Here's the link. They sure look intriguing.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...log_Servo.html

Now? I'm heading out for an afternoon of flying since it might be the last 70 F day for a few months. I've got all 6 batteries (I swear those things reproduce while I sleep.) charged and my charger packed so, with a bit of luck, I should get a decent flight to enter. That's if I don't get carried away with my new YAK 54 and neglect thermal hunting!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
Well? The best I could manage was about 12 minutes before I decided to chuck the attempt and climb again. There were just enough high clouds to prevent strong thermals and a light but variable breeze that was just enough to break up the thermals that did form up My best glider flight of the day was mostly under 100 feet catching little bubbles of lift off the parking lot when the wind was in the right direction. Still, despite using the motor quite often, I feel a lot more confident turning close to the ground. And? I had a blast with the "evil" 3D Yak. I have a feeling it would thermal if I took off the gear and added a folding prop!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,555 Posts
Nice little flight today for a spur of the moment flying fix:
Pilot name:Leadchucker/Warren
Glider name: Pulsar 3.2 m
Weather; Partly cloudy, +63*f, Wind-225* @ < 5 kts
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 12 October 2012 @ 13.15
Duration of flight: 28 min 40 sec-Max Alt-1765 ft AGL w/200 meter launch
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Leadchucker; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Wrong year..DOH!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
12 mins is 12 mins more then me today lol, still rubbish flying conditions, I recieved my order from hobby king though, and have changed 6 batteries and a couple of escs over to xt60 plugs, wired up and installed a 30 amp esc, fitted a pilot into a tiger moth, bench tested a 3 axis stabilizer which seems to be working spot on with no servo jitter. Oh and I mnaged to reprogram a couple of 20 amp escs that came with various planes but could not be used as they would not work on a123 lifpo4 packs-now they do thanks to a useful bit of info found almost by accident on these forums!
Just need to decide which plane to test the 3 axis stab on, dont think a glider would be suitable really but I might try it anyway, I think the 1st plane I will try it on will be my 900mm spitfire.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:01 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
245 Posts
A Beautiful Day in the North East

Leadchucker,

I am so jealous. The weather here in Western Mass. has been lousy for flying. This was the first nice day in a long while and I had to be at work. I kept looking out the window and crying.

I'm glad to see that someone got out and took advantage of such a beautiful day. Good time and a really nice flight for this late in the season. Congrats Warren.... Wish I had been there to watch you.

Murph
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:13 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbilbo91z9f View Post
....I'm glad to see that someone got out and took advantage of such a beautiful day. Good time and a really nice flight for this late in the season. Congrats Warren....
Murph
Thanks Paul.

It was a tough decision on what to do today. It would have been a great day for some surf fishing or to hit the trout stream too....Eenie, meenie, miney, mo
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:08 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
No great new hand launch flights to report. All in the 6 to 10 minute range. Since I'm flying during my lunch break, I have a max of 30 minutes of 'airtime' so I have to cut it short...
Why do I ALWAYS find the 'super thermal' on my last flight?

Still trying to decide what to build next so I can get back to ALES. I'm really leaning towards a scratchbuilt 2M. I have a set of 7037 cores, white foam balsa sheeted. Just have to come up with a fuse and tail. I think I will do a full floating x tail, that is easier to adjust the tail incidence in case I don't get it right. Also have a choice of carbon booms.

Later, Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
10 mins is pretty good Martin!

Had a dlg 15 mins and 10 mins flight today thermals did not start till 1 o clock though and I had been down since 10:30 so I cut the 10 min flight short as my neck was killing me lol and I really needed a drink and some lunch, went down after lunch but thermals were all gone and back to 1 to 2 min flights, though did manage an 8 min one!

But what a lovely day hardly any wind all day long and no rain!
I flew my tiger moth 1st thing and later on my asw28!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
I had a great flight with the Specter yesterday evening. Three of us passed the transmitter around while we were bouncing between two slopes and a tree line by catching the thermals off the freshly plowed field in between and only 3-4 more brief bursts of power. This was after a launch featuring about a 3 second motor run to get as high as a helpful vulture who showed me the way for somewhere around 5-7 minutes. We think.

Now ask me if anyone thought to start a watch before I asked how long I had kept up, almost kept up, with the vulture. Had I even hit the switch to turn on my transmitter's timer? Nope. So we took the best guess and stretched the flight to an hour plus whatever I had managed before anyone started the clock. A great time was had by all though I'm not sure I won any converts to sailplanes. (Everyone did seem to be murmuring about getting a 3D foamy but that's best left to other forums unless anyone asks.) On the next flight they did have fun doing vertical rolls with the Specter but they aren't quite getting a thrill out of energy management.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
No, gliding is not for everyone, my mates would just look at me like I was mad for just cruising around slow and circling "boring" is what I think they thought while they tear up the sky with 3d planes and spitfires and the like.
But I find the 3d and fast planes boring now can only manage about 10 mins on one b4 I am yearning to fly a glider.
The tiger moth is different partly because it's new but mostly because it's a challenge taking off and landing on the little car park with only one way in and out and also cause it's nice and slow and scale looking.
I must be getting old lol!
Gliding is the thinking mans past time and 3d is for boys lol!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
For me, nigel, it depends on whether I'm getting together with friends or flying solo. It's fun to get together with the guys and try to top each other with our tumbling about but, flying off on my own, soaring is completely absorbing. Plus, pulling off scale aerobatics with a glider is much more rewarding than just ramming the sticks into corners.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:19 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
I like glider aerobatics too!
The blaster is great at them!
My ask21 is only any good at aerobatics, it's rubbish thermaling, but gets an outing now and then and I really enjoy the fast aerobatic with no prop.
Been down with blaster again today for 2 hours lol, only managed a 5 min flight as best but quite a few 2 to 3 mins even though it was actually foggy lol, which is probably why I could not follow any thermals even if I could find them, but still not boring cause I mixed it up with lots of aerobatic and of course just throwing and catching is fun in itself and the dog had a great time chasing it round the field!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
Yeah, yeah. A DLG is on my wish list.

I think it's important to stunt every plane in order to find its flight limits. It keeps one from panicking while flying a speck and losing track of orientation or dropping a wing on a landing approach. It's more prevalent among power fliers but many pilots never get near a stall until they chop the throttle and dive for the strip. One of the first things I do after getting trimmed on a maiden flight is stall testing of any plane. I want to know what I can get away with before committing to a landing approach.