Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
2 Meter Electric entry:

AMA69405
Glider name:Cox Sportavia
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: Oct 10 , 2012 12:30 pm
Duration of flight: 15:18 (after 30 sec motor run)

After a foam-scorching launch to 200 ft in only 30 seconds , we drift ever downward (it's a 2 ft/sec best glide sorta plane), finding the first real bump at just 60 ft AGL. Off we went, all the way to 1140 ft, lost the lift then re-engaged further downwind. Unfortunately the thermal drifted precisely into the sun, causing us to bail out upwind into obvious (400+ ft/min) sink. Just a minor bump or two the rest of the way down. Wish we could have stayed with the boomer, but oh well. We'll keep trying with our 1970's foamie.
AMA69405 is offline Find More Posts by AMA69405
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,680 Posts
Nice work, Gary. I trained a guy who bought a glow Sportavia and really loved flying it but it was not exactly a floater.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Nice work, Gary. I trained a guy who bought a glow Sportavia and really loved flying it but it was not exactly a floater.
You got that right! I shudder to think what the performance was like with the stock electric version of this plane, which had an 8 cell nicad battery pack and typically weighed in at 34 oz or so with the radio equipment of the day. I'm at a little under 22 oz, running the stock motor but with a 3 cell LiPo. I've also "cheated" and installed a 6.5 x 4 folding prop and micro servos. As mentioned, my best observed sink rate in still air is 2.0 fps. This with a wing loading of only 8 oz/sq ft, so methinks the airfoil is a tad inefficient.

I had the 049 version as my first RC plane in 1979. If I remember correctly, it weighed about the same as my current "modified" electric, give or take an ounce.
AMA69405 is offline Find More Posts by AMA69405
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:25 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
455 Posts
Well, it's been a while since my last post & the demise of my Radian Pro.

Still flying DLG, but I had to shift my focus from my favorite duration tasks to actual F3K. My club holds an annual DLG event - the ECHLGF in Wilson NC. As a club member I got busy helping to put on the contest and of course participated.

So now back to regular soaring - I have a couple ofbuilds planned that will get me back into the ALES game, in the meantime I will try and get some DLG times going again.

As I caught up with this forum, I noticed that my personal best DLG flight did not make it into the 'records' area - please see this post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post21986037

Keep at it guys - hoping to get these planes built so I can post again!

Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,680 Posts
I have put your flight back in the record book, MMR. Welcome back!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
655 Posts
Open class:

Pilot name: Palo (aka Tender)
Glider name: Scorpion-V from Heinrich (wingspann 2320 mm, weight 820 g !)
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: Oct 11 , 2012 15:00
Duration of flight: 33:07 (plus 15 sec motor run)
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
455 Posts
Thanks Peter!

Also, many thanks for taking this contest on!

Ordered the power set-up for my 3M project today - so now the question is build the 2m or the 3m first ...

Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
254 Posts
Vicrider
Wanderer, electric conversion
Thermal
Oct 7, 2012 12:30pm
16min 29sec (after 20sec motor run)
Launch alt 205 feet, max alt 644 feet.

Really didn't intend to enter this fight, being that this was the first flight of this plane and I haven't flown a sailplane in over 15 years. But I was surprised that the first flight went so well. I didn't try to get max altitude during the motor run and stumbled in to a thermal that I just kept flying in and out of. It would have stayed up longer cause I brought it down on purpose. Didn't want to push my luck any further on a first flight.

I bought the the kit from Radman in the classifieds here. Built it in a week. Will hopefully enter a better fight as soon as the weather here clears.
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,680 Posts
I just picked up the hobby after a long break too, Vicrider. Between the modern motors, batteries, and cheap radios I just had to come back.

Hmmm. Maybe we should have a separate contest for maiden flights? I see three categories.

1. First solo.
2. Maiden flight of new aircraft.
3. First flight after a 5 year or longer break.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I just picked up the hobby after a long break too, Vicrider. Between the modern motors, batteries, and cheap radios I just had to come back.

Hmmm. Maybe we should have a separate contest for maiden flights? I see three categories.

1. First solo.
2. Maiden flight of new aircraft.
3. First flight after a 5 year or longer break.
Actually I have been back in the hobby for about a 11/2years now.
I feel the same as you, the motors and batteries have been a surprise and the hobby as a whole is cheaper then it was. Really was surprised to see how arf's have taken over and how cheap they are. The lack of kits have been a downer though.
We used to fly wanderers off a slope or with a power pod with a cox black widow, lots of fun but that black widow just doesn't compare to the 450 brushless motor that I'm using.

I will add a 50+ class to your categories.
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,680 Posts
Pffft! 50+ is hardly worth mentioning!

One of the reasons I moved away from the hobby is my acquired allergy to CA; even the "odorless". Yes, I can build with wood glue and epoxy but that gets tedious in a hurry. So? The ARFs are a Godsend.

My Specter, a $100.00 ARF, weighs exactly the same with a motor as my old Sagitta 600 does without. And it climbs like it's on a very good Hi-Start. It gets as high as I want it in 5-10 seconds! The wing loading is a bit higher but the modern airfoil results in just about the same sink rate between the two and the Specter can fly much faster when I want it. I also really prefer a glider with ailerons. Now I'm really torn on where to go next. I would, eventually, like to get a real floater in the 2.5-3 meter class and a scale ship in the same size range but I can't decide which to go for first. I suspect that my new flying site, which is surrounded by asphalt, will provide good lift throughout the Minnesota winter. If that plays out I will probably go for the floater first. If I can't find good lift for my existing planes? Then I'll go for the scale bird and optimize it for aerobatics. So many planes; so few thumbs!

Speaking of aerobatics: I maidened my new 3D foam electric today. Wow! I haven't really flown a good 3D ship since we called them "fun flys" and needed very light and powerful glow engines to enable "hanging on the prop". By the end of the first flight I was able to hold a hover, at around half throttle, long enough for it to almost blow out of sight. By the end of the second flight I was doing high alpha knife edge. Then I put the bigger prop on it and it got better! Modern motors are real marvels of performance. I also like the fact that, in the 2-4 cell range, the batteries cost about half as much as a gallon of glow fuel and are good for hundreds of flights. I don't even think the old Cox engines would get 100 flights to the gallon even if they lasted that long.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,280 Posts
Agreed, I came back to the hobby about 5 years ago due to the brushless motors and lipo batteries being so much easier and quieter and cheaper then nitro, I have seen them get better and better and cheaper and cheaper to the point where they outperform a nitro plane in performance and cost of running.
I discovered the lifepo4 a123 packs a couple of years ago after having to throw away lots of lipo packs which lasted between 6 months and 2 years tops which in itself is not bad and although lipos are better and cheaper now I still love the a123 packs for their robustness and fit them in any plane that will take the weight, I have only had one cell drop from 850mah to 500mah which I REPLACED THAT cell now the pack has 800mah, all the rest are still at full capacity apart from one pack which has 700mah but has seen over 1000 cycles of total discharge in 8 mins and fast charged in 10 mins in a rc truck. That makes them even cheaper to run then lipos!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,680 Posts
The new technology really is outstanding. My first radio was a Rand Galloping Ghost. The flight battery weighed 16 ounces. My ASW 28 foamy only weighed 17 ounces out of the box! My second radio was a Kraft 3 channel and it came with a 500-600 mah battery that was still the single heaviest component of my Windward. I decided to get a small, 250mah(?) battery and it cost about $40.00. The radio itself was around $150.00 and those were 1971 dollars.

Now? One can get batteries that will power the motor and radio that don't weigh a whole lot more than an old ni-cad flight pack at a fraction of the cost. And I could not be more pleased with my $60.00 9 channel, fully programmable, radio. My original intention was to just use the Turnigy 9x to get familiar with the new radios before I decided on an upgrade but I can't think of a single reason to replace it as long as it doesn't break.

I have seen some of us old-timers lament the influx of new fliers who didn't make the sacrifices that we did but that's not how I see it. The more the merrier I say. The influx of Chinese products will force the old companies to lower prices and the swelling numbers of fliers, most of them with electric motors, will give us more political clout to find and keep flying sites. Being able to fly smaller planes at the local park without anyone even noticing we are there is just a bonus.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:07 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,280 Posts
I was gonna get the turnigy 9x and put the frsky and erf9x with telemetry, I was all set up with hobby king to place an order but was waiting for it all to be in stock at once, then I discovered that frsky are gonna bring out 3 transmitters of their own very soon and they will have telemetry and open source software out of the box for around $100 for the 9ch one! They will have speaker and headphone socket and a decent processor so pretty much anything will be possible as far as alarms varios hight limiters flights modes and SPEACH goes!
A 14 ch and 16 ch with even more features will be next at higher cost!
Cant wait!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:03 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
I am also waiting for it to come...! Its been a long time now, as they said it would launch this autumn, but still...! On the other hand a buy from the first batch, it will surelly make us beta users, since open software can be corrected at the go

Lets see
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008