Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:47 AM
Maine
Joined Jul 2009
309 Posts
Question
GP Revolver 70

I plane on building a GP Revolver 70. I plan on putting a DLE 20 on it.

I plan on using the motor mounts that come with the plane to mount my DLE 20. Do I have to do anything special when mounting this engine for thrust angle or anthing like that? I would assuem ti would mount just like a glow engine just upside down. correct?

Thanks!

George
gagallagher044 is offline Find More Posts by gagallagher044
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Not really, thrust is often built into ARFs and kits. When I build a plane, that's build, not assemble an ARF, I set it up with zero thrust then during the trim flights I can see if the plane requires any thrust angle or not. At the field if it requires it I will add washers behind the mount until I get the angle the plane requires. Once I have it set I come home and make up a wood shim with the required angle that fits completely behind the mount.
I haven't assembled the revolver for anyone yet and don't know if it has the thrust angle built in or not. If you can get behind the fire wall it would be a good idea to add some angle stock to reinforce the fire wall. The DLE is a bit of over kill and may break it loose. It's not a must do thing, just a good idea. Excellent flying plane too. Good choice!
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
Maine
Joined Jul 2009
309 Posts
Thanks grey beard!

What do you think of the way they do the elevator control, the elevator is a two piece design, two rods go back and couple together with the longer one going to the servo.

I have also heard the ca hinges are not sufficient, and heard to use robart type hinges.

All the wisdome I can get would be VERY MUCH APPRICIATED!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:28 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,916 Posts
One of the guys in our club had a gas motor on his Revolver. It was a pig in the air as he had to add so much tail weight to make it balance. I don't remember which motor it was though. I guess check the balance as close as possible before mounting the motor.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:32 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
505 Posts
I am on my second Revolver 70 and they are great planes. And yes, the proper right and down thrust is built into the firewall. Here is a large thread on the Revolver 70 with a lot of good information including installing a DLE20. Good luck.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9143970/tm.htm

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
Maine
Joined Jul 2009
309 Posts
Thanks guys

Alot of guys seem to like the DLE 20 on it, and i like gas, I have a GP giant big stik with a 40cc on it and love it.
Last edited by gagallagher044; Oct 01, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:37 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagallagher044 View Post
Thanks grey beard!

What do you think of the way they do the elevator control, the elevator is a two piece design, two rods go back and couple together with the longer one going to the servo.

I have also heard the ca hinges are not sufficient, and heard to use robart type hinges.

All the wisdome I can get would be VERY MUCH APPRICIATED!
The elevator connection works fine. I have used that connection on a number of planes and have never had it fail. For extra safty, cover the connection with JB Weld.

With respect to hinges I have used the CA hinges without problem. But then I am using an OS 95V for power which is smooth running. With a DLE20 the Robart hinges might be a good ides becasue of vibration.

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:42 PM
Maine
Joined Jul 2009
309 Posts
Thanks landeck!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't fly ARFs except my little electric Aeroworks Extra electric. I do assemble them for others but I haven't ever put the revolver together yet so I really know nothing about the plane except how it flys. I have flown it in glow and electric and was very impressed with the plane.
Your describing a Y control. One elevator servo but split elevators and I have been making up my own for years using carbon fiber arrow shafts and 2-56 and 4-40 wire. The system is proven and works well. Most the planes I build I use two elevator servos though. I have broken the control horns and even the clevises off of one elevator half and other then acting sluggish in flight you wouldn't know it. To date I have never had a servo go out so the Y works great. I just haven't seen what type of rod is used in your plane so I really don't know if I like it or not. If the rod is well made then it will never be a problem.
There is nothing at all wrong with CA hinges if installed correctly. Again, I don't use them on my own planes but it isn't because they have any problems. I would feel safe with them on planes up to 60 size. Because I build my planes I just do things differently then you will find in most ARFs. Not necessarily better, just different. ARFs have come a long way in the last 10 years or so, they used to all be junk. Today I am impressed with a lot of them and they are built a bunch better then they used to be. From what I have seen the Revolver is one of the good ones.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:18 PM
Maine
Joined Jul 2009
309 Posts
Thanks again Gray Beard. I love all the insight and experience. I believe the revolver comes with 2-56 rods. I have bought 4-40 to stiffen everything up. I plane on doing the elevator according to the manual. I may mount the rudder servo in the side rear of the plane. Have not decided yet, I hear alot of talk about flutter, and flex.
I plane on using robart hinges on everything, but what size? 3/32, 1/8, or 3/16"
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:31 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,916 Posts
Quote:
I plane on using robart hinges on everything, but what size? 3/32, 1/8, or 3/16"
I would use the 1/8 hinges. Four in the ailerons and three for the elevators and rudder. If you are worried maybe 5 & 4 would ease your mind. You might consider a pull pull for the rudder???
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:50 AM
Maine
Joined Jul 2009
309 Posts
Not sure how to go about a pull pull for the rudder. is there a kit for that type of setup?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:09 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,916 Posts
Quote:
Not sure how to go about a pull pull for the rudder. is there a kit for that type of setup?

DuBro makes something http://shop.dubro.com/products/categ...161.5186.0.0.0

It's not hard to do. The hardest part is getting the lines to come out where you want them to. Many people will cross the lines. My first and only to date ran the lines strait back. Crossing the lines gives a slight advantage if the fuse is long and skinny. It places the line openings closer to the rudder.

Ken
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:21 AM
Maine
Joined Jul 2009
309 Posts
I will look into it. Anyone else do this to their Revolver?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Your asking about hinge pins and not all ARFs can use them. Pins require wood to glue to and most ARFs LE and TE don't have enough wood, some are too narrow too. When I build a plane I look at it and decide ahead of time what type of hinge I will use. I usually mark out the spot where I plan on installing the hinges and add in a block of wood about 1/4 inch in those areas so I have something for the hinges to glue to. I have found most ARFs it is best to just use CA hinges. If installed correctly they are outstanding and do not fail. I wouldn't bother with anything else in the Revolver. Over on RCU there is a thread/sticky on how to install CA hinges correctly, it's easy and foll proof.
I have never heard about flutter in the Revolver controls, the plane was designed to fly fast. The hinges won't have anything to do with it.
I do use clear Ultra covering on the bottom of ARFs controls to fill the hinge gap though. You can do both the top and bottom to help with clean up but all you really need to do is cover the bottom.
All my own planes have the pull/pull rudder but I don't do it to ARFs, they are too hard to get into in most cases. I make up my own using very thin braided stainless steel fishing leader with the plastic coating over the wire. I just use the wire and what is called a rigging coupler. Just a threaded steel rod with a hole drilled in one end. They come in both 2-56 and 4-40. During the build I also use the yellow nyrod, I install it from the aft part of the fuse to a few inches from the rudder servo. The rod isn't really needed but it makes fishing the wire in and out easier.
Sometimes I make up my own rudder tiller, the control horn, using all thread but I also buy them from my LHS. They look better but also add weight to the tail.
If I were you I would just use the CA inges and the rudder control as designed. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
If you must change things just ask me and I will try to take some photos to help walk you through the changes. If you must use a better hinge I would use the DuBro flat hinge instead of the pins.
When you build a kit or from plans it is easier to make changes and do things your way as your building. Some ARFs are easier to mod then others. How much room you have is a key factor and how the plane was designed. The Revolver looks pretty tight to me to be doing a lot of changes to. I would check out a couple of them at the field but we are grounded for a few days, the president is in town and no one can fly private planes, choppers or even RC. For someone that told America not to come to Vegas and spend there money he sure comes her a lot!!! Perhaps he has someone special here that is sent to his room discretely?
Gene