HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:11 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,994 Posts
Your perfection in detailing is remarkable! Quite a build and a fun read, as usual.

I just "found" this thread, and it serendipitously provides me excellent detail for my current micro Camel build (14.5" WS, printed tissue/Depron).

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:20 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
Finished the lower wing rib stitching and will cover today also started to shape the new wing struts out of African Rosewood, and I HAVE to start covering the fuselage, because every time I look at it, I add more details like stitching (to be covered by the fuselage covering) and wood nails behind the cockpit. Is it possible to EVER be finished with detailing a plane? -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:13 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnokey View Post
Is it possible to EVER be finished with detailing a plane? -
Fortunately for me, I love the way you think!

Quote:
... started to shape the new wing struts out of African Rosewood.
What are the advantages of that wood, and where do you get yours?

Thanks,

Gene K
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:36 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
I love working with African Rosewood (bubinga) you can learn more about it here: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-...woods/bubinga/

I make dark stained struts and tail skids out of it - it is strong, easy to work with and the grain is INSANE when covered with poly or wet clear finish (I use a product called Wundercote - it's not made anymore). The flame grain pops out and it looks like a fine piece of furniture. People make musical instruments and pens out of it.

I get sheets of it here: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18561
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:11 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
Covered the fuselage sides (so far) but wanted to show how the thread stitching shows through the covering exactly the look I wanted to get. Lower wing covered and rib stitching is subtle yet effective fuselage to finish, top wings, tail feathers and such but going together as expected.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:16 PM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Fortunately for me, I love the way you think!

What are the advantages of that wood, and where do you get yours?

Thanks,

Gene K
Another source which I use is Woodworkers Source. They sell pen blanks which are 3/4x3/4x6" for a buck fifty ea. Or if you need larger pieces they have that also.

RT
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:01 AM
sussex uk
Joined Sep 2010
45 Posts
in the UK there is a product called tuffcote wounder if its the same as your wundercote?
peteisme is offline Find More Posts by peteisme
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:00 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
I'm really not sure - Wundercoat is a water based wipe on polyurethane - so I'm sure there are a bunch of similar products - I'm almost out of it - so I have to look elsewhere for a replacement - What I like about this was there is no yellowing and it makes the wood rock hard -
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:22 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnokey View Post
I get sheets of it [Rosewood] here: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18561
Thanks. I'll have to get some for me/Pete for struts and tail skids, among other things.

Quote:
I have to look elsewhere for a replacement [of Wundercoat]
Have a look at Minwwax. Good stuff all around - I like the Water Based Polycrylic.

RS: Also thanks for your Rosewood link.

Gene K
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:59 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
Finished covering the fuselage last night I left the bottom open to rig the tail That will be the last part to cover. The lower wings now have the HS-55 servos installed, I re-soldered a new wire on the servo to reach the receiver, this eliminates the need for an extension, a plug, and the risk of it coming apart in the wing. Wire is very inexpensive from hobby shops, and anyone with soldering experience can do it. The lower wings also had the rib stitching strips attached to the upper part of the ribs, then covered. I like the way it came out subtle enough but you can see the stitching.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:07 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,143 Posts
Looking great. Just curious. On the fuselage side, is there a reason the grain of the covering runs vertically rather than horizontally? When I use that type of covering I always make sure the grain runs in the direction of the longest dimension.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:12 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
Ahhh - Yes!!!! - - If you take a look at the reference drawing I am using, all the weathering for the plane is vertical - washed downward by rain and weather. Because the covering is connected to each vertical fuselage stringer, I was not worried about "sag" or strength - I wanted the grain to run vertical on the sides to support the "extreme" weathering it will see before I am complete....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:23 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,143 Posts
Extreme weathering. Interesting, I am looking forward to seeing that applied.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:32 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Looking great. Just curious. On the fuselage side, is there a reason the grain of the covering runs vertically rather than horizontally? When I use that type of covering I always make sure the grain runs in the direction of the longest dimension.

Larry
The Coverite I used had a grain also. And I to ran it vertical. It just did not look "right" horizontal.

Looking Great by the way....are you gonna fly it?
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:49 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,104 Posts
WOW - - Stellar job on your Camel - Of course I'm going to fly it!!!! - If it flies -
RCG Plus Member