phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:38 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
I think that is very clever. I do wonder about heating the out side of the motor bell? Does the friction heat the motor noticeably? If the bell gets hot then the magnets will be adversely affected.

- Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,108 Posts
I ran it for about 15 minutes without a prop at full throttle - and it was slightly warm to the touch - as you can see - the front vents are exposed to the incoming air - I think the prop and the forward motion of the plane will work better than a fully enclosed motor - Let's see when I get the prop and cowl on....
Shnokey is online now Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:49 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
286 Posts
Way cool Jon. (Pun intended)

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Apr 2009
18 Posts
That's going to add so much to the finished product Jon. Great idea to try out on the little Camel when I get to it.
Jecull is offline Find More Posts by Jecull
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnokey View Post
OK - Some fun with a scale Clerget motor around the e-motor - I think the design will work - I made a mock-up and tried it - it still needs to be balanced and finished - but the concept works -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjoxGzPLxuo

Let me know what you think!! -
Mighty fine!
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
OK - Some fun with a scale Clerget motor around the e-motor - I think the design will work - I made a mock-up and tried it - it still needs to be balanced and finished - but the concept works -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjoxGzPLxuo

Let me know what you think!! -
I am in the process of building a Camel and I am wondering were you got the scale Clerget motor?
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:00 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,108 Posts
here.... It's 1/8 scale but with a little re-work, I scaled it down to 1/9 - just use exact scale drawings and it will look just fine.... Great little plastic kit - heavy - so thin out the walls of the cylinders but it will look great - !
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:09 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,108 Posts
Assembled and shaped the cowl, applied a coat of CA to harden the balsa, added the Clerget and bearings, 5 rare earth magnets hold the cowl ring on to the firewall - e-motor and electronics tonight!!!! -
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:11 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
here.... It's 1/8 scale but with a little re-work, I scaled it down to 1/9 - just use exact scale drawings and it will look just fine.... Great little plastic kit - heavy - so thin out the walls of the cylinders but it will look great - !
Thanks. I thought these were all discontinued....
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:46 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,038 Posts
Nice build, very nice...
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:42 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,108 Posts
Clerget Beta with Cowl and Prop - More images later today with wiring and electronics - and now it's time to get the build finished - The Clerget will wait until the plane is done before I complete the details - but it works -

Clerget Beta with Prop (1 min 43 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:54 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,108 Posts
Here are some shots of the electronics and radio - one cheek has the elevator servo and BEC, set to 6 volts for the JR receiver - the other cheek has the receiver, the additional satellite receiver is on the aft landing gear mount under the seat, the ESC is on the firewall, and the battery will fit up against the inside of the firewall to keep as much weight forward as possible - I did some reading of others that built this plane, and they had to add approx. 4-6 oz. of weight in the nose - with the battery so far forward, the 1.6 oz. (total weight) Clerget motor, and wood prop - and the thread used in the tail instead of the balsa cross braces, I'm hoping not to have to add anything – Right now, if I pile everything on a scale – including battery, wings, tail feathers, wheels – it sits at 20.7 oz. – no covering or landing gear or struts – I’ll shoot for 30 oz. all up ready to fly – Others have flown heavier so we will see how many coats of paint I need  - Photos should be self-explanatory -
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:31 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,166 Posts
Very clever layout. It's a shame you can't get the BEC on the firewall too... it might get a little warm, especially on 6V. If you paint your firewall black and use a black sharpie on the shrink-wrap then it wouldn't be visible. You must have to use tweezers to get everything plugged into the RX
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:40 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,108 Posts
I was thinking of getting it up there - but it was too thick to have it on the firewall and the exhaust of the Clerget (not attached yet) there as well - I may open up a hole in the firewall to let air pass to the BEC and then pass through the cockpit opening - any airflow is better than none - it's all open behind the cowl anyway - as for the RX - I still need to plug in TWO aileron servos - each on it's own channel for differential. Here comes the microscope
RCG Plus Member