HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
310 Posts
Fantastic work as usual!,
Now if you remember the "good ol days" when we clothespinned playing cards to the frame of our bicycles to get that "motor" sound. I'm sure your drag system could duplicate the engine sound of a rotary......just thunkin' out loud.

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
What fun!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Hey - I like it!!!! - If I had the $$$ for all the baseball cards I beat up with my bicycle spokes, I could buy more planes!!! - Maybe I could add some sort of "click clack" sound creator - See, now you have done it -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,975 Posts
Nice work mate! I've built several models with free-wheeling rotary dummies and never had a problem. Your idea of a bit of friction could work well - and might help the worst aspect of the dummy motor - that it continues rotating long after the electric motor (and prop) have stopped. That spoils the illusion a little.
Great work on the cockpit area - looking forward to the rest of the build.

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
beautiful work mate, i am guessing that you will be scratch building the motor to meet the same level of detail as the rest of this beautiful build? the rotary on my pup is just one of Sparkies vac formed jobbies, but it i have it press fitted to the bell of the outrunner so that it spins 1:1 with the prop, it has proven totally reliable over the years, and due to its minimal weight causes no issues, not as detailed as you would want but the mounting method may be of interest.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1109885&page=8

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
621 Posts
Beautiful build, look forward to seeing the completed model.
Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:12 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
I hope everyone forgives me - I am adopting and re-scaling a Hasegawa 1/8 Clerget Model 9B Engine for this build - I was going to make my own - but found this at a little shop in the UK - and thought I could re-scale it to 1/9th - it's going well (pictures to follow) but I could not resist the extreme scale look of the motor - Oh scratch building gods - please look the other way (or take in credit that I'm completely re-scaling it to 1/9) I may have to sacrifice a foamy to them....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
I think that's a great idea. Never thought to look to the plastic models side of stuff. Didn't think there were any big enough. Should look great and no one will know the difference.

Are you going to risk making it spin on the prop shaft?

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
No - the front will be open to let in cooling air to the motor - and the back of the case will spin on the firewall - so the motor will be aligned to the firewall, and the e-motor will have the right and down thrust. The connection between the dummy motor and the e-motor will be small leather flaps to provide drag - I'll see if I can make a mockup over the weekend to show what I'm trying to do -
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,464 Posts
An airplane this beautiful cries out for a pilot of the same quality.

I don't know that I have ever seen a commercial one good enough to sit in that cockpit.

Here is a remarkable pilot building thread. I especially love Warhead_71's German pilot figure. You need something really remarkable like that.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...133467&page=22

Given the rest of the build I have no doubt that you will find a spectacular solution to the pilot problem.

Best,
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Thanks Robert!! - I never tried a "pilot" figure - I will reach out to Warhead_71 and see if he want's to make a head and hands for me - With the fully moving controls, I'm thinking I can sew up a jacket and pants filled with cotton and attach them to the controls, so when the stick/rudder bar moves, the arms/Legs will as well - the servo's are powerful enough to bend cotton arms and legs - Let's see - - I'll have to make a working seat-belt!!!! -
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnokey View Post
Thanks Robert!! - I never tried a "pilot" figure - I will reach out to Warhead_71 and see if he want's to make a head and hands for me - With the fully moving controls, I'm thinking I can sew up a jacket and pants filled with cotton and attach them to the controls, so when the stick/rudder bar moves, the arms/Legs will as well - the servo's are powerful enough to bend cotton arms and legs - Let's see - - I'll have to make a working seat-belt!!!! -
You could not do better than having Warhead_71 do a figure for you, but as good as your craftmanship is, I wouldn't be surprised if you turned out an excellent pilot figure by your own effort. Even though my own efforts are a bit commical compared to Warhead_71, I found carving a one off blue foam pilot,"Nigel," for my Dragon Rapide to be a very enjoyable part of the build.

I have also attached a really excellent article on figure painting. The part on painting eyes is a must read. The whole thing is really worth looking at.

Best,
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:27 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Nigel looks great - and right at home!!! - as luck would have it - Warhead_71 has a great 1/9 scale figure that I will use in the camel (Thanks Warren) - and I will make a full length coat and pants - and see how I can put a full figure in the cockpit - This will be Lieutenant Norman Miers MacGregor, flight leader of 10 Squadron RNAS, B Flight - I'll have to have him clean shaved, but it should be FUN -

THANK YOU for the PDF file on painting - it brings back very fond memories of figure design and painting from my plastic build days -
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
OK - Some fun with a scale Clerget motor around the e-motor - I think the design will work - I made a mock-up and tried it - it still needs to be balanced and finished - but the concept works -

Clerget Trial (1 min 44 sec)

Let me know what you think!! -
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:42 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
That's awesome!
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman