HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:28 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,743 Posts
Dude. A 1/9th scale, you are a glutton for punishment! My hat is off to ya for such fine small detail work. I don't think I could ever have the patience for it.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
18 Posts
Take a look at his 1/16th scale Fok D VIII on aerodromerc.com.
Jecull is offline Find More Posts by Jecull
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:19 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Thanks Jecull -

I guess it's cheaper - and more fun than a full therapy session - -

Here is the DIII

http://www.aerodromerc.com/cgi-bin/y...1312589815/105

The Sopwith Pup

http://www.aerodromerc.com/cgi-bin/y...1279136448/180

The DVIII

http://www.aerodromerc.com/cgi-bin/y...1284501297/299
Shnokey is online now Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:30 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Just great looking builds. A ton of work but it sure shows and looks great!

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
The ESC and batteries showed up the other day – so I normally put together a test rig for the setup I’m going to use in the plane – This way I can test propellers, test the Motor, ESC, battery, Attach and center all the servos, set up the transmitter and dial in the settings BEFORE I install anything into the plane – In the past – I have found myself fiddling around in real tight spaces adjusting the centers, and messing with ESC settings. This way I can test everything, check the thrust, the watts, amps and I can even run it on half throttle until cutoff to see the approximate flight time I can expect!!! – All this without having to risk the airplane from damage, or in the worst case (Admit it, we have all done it) Taking apart something you built to replace servos or electronic equipment.

The Setup:

Turnigy D2836/9 950KV Brushless Outrunner
HobbyKing Red Brick 30A ESC
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
10X6 Propeller (electric)

Results: Full Throttle: 18A, 196W and 9 minutes of run time at half throttle. – More than enough for the Camel. Some engineers will say that my watts/pounds is high (approx. ~95) – it is – but I had the motor, and it fits into the cowl, so I will adjust the throttle and use a scale sized wooden propeller so I don’t have a 3D machine.

5 Servos – Elevator, Rudder, two Aileron, and one ultra-micro for the control stick (Aileron movement) because the aileron servos will be in the wings, and I do not want to cable back to the cockpit to move the controls, I am using a sub micro servo on the aux2 channel with a 60% mix to the ailerons to move the stick. The elevator and rudder servos will move the stick and rudder bar.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:13 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Added the Elevator, Rudder and supporting Aileron servo - the controls, seat, panel and such - all the rigging as well - The elevators are set up to use a 4 way pull/pull system just aft of the cockpit - but the weight is way up front - ample room for the battery - Now it's time to get moving on the rest of the fuselage and the motor/cowl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:08 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
I want to avoid ANY extra balance weight if I can avoid it - so the Motor, ESC and BEC will be in front of the firewall, the receiver in the "right" cheek and elevator servo in the Left - The battery against the firewall inside - (Ample space) The satellite receiver will be under the seat....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:26 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,320 Posts
amazing work mateyou must have the hands of a surgeon!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is online now Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:33 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
A little video fun - here are the "fully" operating controls of the Camel - seat removed for clarity - all feedback most welcome -

Camel Controls (1 min 52 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
923 Posts
OK, this has got to be the sickest, most cool, working cockpit I've ever seen. Just incredible! Bravo!
Fast Freddy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:52 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
Wow! Very cool!!! Wish I had the patience and, more importantly, skill to pull off a build like yours. Amazing. :-)
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Tail now on - with carpet thread for the working rigging - makes it very strong and light - Gas tank behind the seat and the top stringers on - All the front area next - it will start moving at a better pace.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:35 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Cockpit finished - cleaned up the panel, added the fuel pressure pump. throttle, seat belts and such - now moving on the the operating Clerget - I will have it rotate at a speed much slower than the electric motor - using bearings for the Clerget and a "drag" system of two leather flaps against the electric motor - that way the Clerget will spin, but only be a drag against the electric motor - let's see how it works -
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
I believe that every 1/8 inch dowel on the east coast of the US was used up or abducted by aliens - Had to order from the other side of the country - so the wings are on hold until I re-stock - Building out the motor design and engineering to have the Clerget spin at a slower rate than the e-motor - setting up the files to cut out the frame and cylinders. More to follow
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Making the Clerget a rotatable motor around the e-motor - in the picture, the e-motor is the red circle, dark black the bearing race for three ball bearings (from an RC car) and the Clerget - the outline is a scan of the plans firewall - all to 1/9 scale. a drag mechanism with leather flaps inside the radius of the dummy motor will allow it to spin slower than the electric motor, but not add too much drag at all. I'll set up some video when I get it working -
RCG Plus Member