HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:13 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Looks super but you're going to have to get some weathering on it, some oil, dirt and mud stains etc. when she's done

Pete
Oh Yes - It will look as if it flew a few missions in the mud! - This paint went on in the winter of 1917 and it was muddy, messy, dirty and just plain old wet - I'm going to have some fun with this....
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:15 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey N View Post
Shnokey....are you in the art/design business as well?
Great trick - I will use it in the future - I own a website design/programming company - so my "Art" is behind a keyboard - This balsa wood thing is just a hobby
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:00 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
As a distraction from the painting, I started the guns I found a 3 view drawing online and scaled it to exactly 1/9 scale, so I had a 1:1 size plan to build to - I took some plastic sheet and scored it to replicate the cooling grooves on the machine gun jacket, and wrapped the plastic around brass tubes to get the right diameter (the brass will be removed later) and used aluminum tape for each end. I still have to add the cooling slots (you can see a few made with aluminum tape). But they are on the way -
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:30 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
That's got to be the best home made modeling of the Vickers cooling jacket I've seen to date. Can't wait to see how you model the gun's breech. What thickness plastic did you use and how did you score the plastic?

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:55 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
I'l put something together over the weekend - Curse you VonJaerschky!!! - sending me a data file for the Vickers - Now I will HAVE to make it to exact model specs...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:09 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
With a "micro chisel" you can punch perfect little vents in your cooling jacket. Use a wood cutting board underneath the part so you don't damage the chisel. Or you can probably just use a flat-bladed micro screwdriver -- it might not punch all the way through but it will emboss it nicely.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Joined Aug 2007
349 Posts
Enjoying your build !!!!!

Paul.
Paul Bonati is offline Find More Posts by Paul Bonati
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
With a "micro chisel" you can punch perfect little vents in your cooling jacket. Use a wood cutting board underneath the part so you don't damage the chisel. Or you can probably just use a flat-bladed micro screwdriver -- it might not punch all the way through but it will emboss it nicely.
NICE - I'm going to try that - Now that I have the pictures and files - I want to change the style anyway - perfect timing!!!!! - -
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:43 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Took warhead_71's advice - pulled the guns apart - and used a small screwdriver to make the louvers - MUCH better - The plastic is thin (paper thin) that I scribed with a watch band removal tool!!! - now back together and back to stencils and painting -
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:49 AM
Joined Nov 2011
25 Posts
clerget dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnokey View Post
OK - Some fun with a scale Clerget motor around the e-motor - I think the design will work - I made a mock-up and tried it - it still needs to be balanced and finished - but the concept works -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjoxGzPLxuo

Let me know what you think!! -
Hello,
I am new to this forum, but am in the process of building a Sopwith Snipe.
I am also fascinated by this design for a moving rotary engine.

Could you be kind enough to explain in greater detail the inner workings, maybe even some plans?

Kind Regards
Peter
abadon is offline Find More Posts by abadon
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:27 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Take a look here - Should give you enough info - let me know if you need any more..... http://www.aerodromerc.com/cgi-bin/y...=1347136643/90
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:37 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Mask and paint for the week - I think I went through 20 sheets of mask - a roll of tape and about 20 airbrush cleanings - I do better printing tissue than painting - Still learning - - all of it is basically done - now for the guns, cockpit trim and details, and final assembly -
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:40 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
294 Posts
Outstanding job on the masking Jon. May I ask what you used for paint?

Ron

Sorry, the painting ain't too shabby either
rtibbetts@hotm is online now Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:45 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
Fantastic job on painting the markings. Masking and airbursh cleaning are a real pain, but the results are so much worth it. One note for future reference, British roundels normally do not have the white surround on the clear doped fabric. The white surround is used to improve contrast on the PC 10/12 colored fabric.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:06 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbetts@hotm View Post
Outstanding job on the masking Jon. May I ask what you used for paint?

Ron

Sorry, the painting ain't too shabby either
Hi Ron - I used acrylic Plastic model paints (I used to use Poly's) but now they are model master paints. I get them at the local plastic model store - a ton of colors and not that expensive - easy to thin down a little and easy to clean up with water - once dry, they are pretty durable -
RCG Plus Member