SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Apr 2012
45 Posts
That is most impressive. We've been buried by Nemo as well. I've been building a Revell 1/48 scale F-15. One of these days I'd love to tackle a proper build like your Sopwith Camel. Stay warm!
Fredo0709 is offline Find More Posts by Fredo0709
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Great work and amazing pace, an inspiration to us "duffers" and the few artist/builders on this forum.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnokey View Post
– If you have never made a prop before – it has to be on your bucket list.
Hi all

Yes, REAL prop-making has to be on the list - I used to carve them from solid wood for rubber free-flight planes many years ago and it's very satisfying to see the finished result, all varnished and balanced. Real old-time aeromodelling.

Like riding a bike, there's a definite transition point when you suddenly find you can make them consistently - I think I got the hang of it on my 3rd attempt.

It will improve your concentration on a r/c model...as you're lining up to land keep telling yourself 'it's a WOODEN prop... 'it's a WOODEN prop'

Your prop looks great, well done.

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:31 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Two props finished, two more rough sanded, and ready for final sand and coating - I still have to paint the tips on one, and paint brass metal leading edge on the other - the front prop is finished with two coats of orange shellac. (same color as all the cockpit woodwork). Looks good and old to me.... I alternated the wood type on the prop, I didn't know what would look better - light wood first, or dark - so I made two of each...

Masked the fuselage for painting (white to begin) then red, then blue, but the 35 year old airbrush decided to call it quits - another one on order should be here for a weekend full of masking, painting and masking - did I mention masking?

I am cutting all my masks from Frisket paper with my computer and a Cricut "scrap-booking machine" that my wife bought years ago but never used - let me know if you want pictures...
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
[QUOTE=Shnokey; let me know if you want pictures...[/QUOTE]

Of course we want pictures. Can't ever have too many.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:07 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,463 Posts
Please let us know how you use the Cricut beyond its limited propriatary program cartridge. There is a beautiful and PATIENT wife who shares hobby space with me. Who knows what could happen if I ask nicely?
Best,
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:50 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Yeah, Ma has a Cricut, also! At first I thought Aha! but when she mentioned it mostly did only what the cartridges allowed, my enthusiasm waned. I'd had grand visions of borrowing it and connecting it to my CAD or drawing program...

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:53 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Yeah, Ma has a Cricut, also! At first I thought Aha! but when she mentioned it mostly did only what the cartridges allowed, my enthusiasm waned. I'd had grand visions of borrowing it and connecting it to my CAD or drawing program...

James
I had the same visions when my wife bought a Cricut for scrapbooking. Couldn't figure out how to download anything other than with their cartridges. I bought a Silhouette cutter with which I can cut anything I "dream" up.
I guess that makes us a two cutter household.....

RT
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:08 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
The software is called "Sure Cuts Alot" and it takes ANY vector graphic and allows the Cricut to use it without a cartridge. So you can export from CAD and cut away - Images and such to follow -
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:32 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
The software is called "Sure Cuts Alot" and it takes ANY vector graphic and allows the Cricut to use it without a cartridge.
Appears Cricut sued the software maker (Craft Edge), and thus the latest version (V3) does NOT support Cricut - see the list of supported machines here.

I hope Cricut and it's lawyers appreciate the business they lost by not responding to folks looking for the flexibility that Sure Cuts A Lot offers!

Now ... to look what at Silhouette can do.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:51 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
At least there are options - I have the older version of Craft Edge software (V2) - and it works on the Cricut - Maybe The Silhouette or others are a good "next generation" solution - There are a TON of Sure Cuts alot Version 2 on e-bay for ~ $60 US for all of us who have the "spouse" machine sitting in a corner gathering dust - and for $60 - it's well worth having unlimited vinyl, mask, paper and Tissue cutting resources....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
At least there are options ....
Sorry to go off topic - last chirp on the Cricut from me .. unless you offer more "teasers" and incentives for me to get such a cutter. Along those lines, do you think one of those machines would/could cut Depron, and how thick (I work mostly with 2mm Depron)? If they can cut cardboard, they should be able to do foam (?), excepting the need for having a constant supply of very sharp blades to keep the foam from ripping.

My daughter in law has an old Cricut that I may upgrade for her - if she lets me have the old one!

Gene K
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Sorry to go off topic - last chirp on the Cricut from me .. unless you offer more "teasers" and incentives for me to get such a cutter. Along those lines, do you think one of those machines would/could cut Depron, and how thick (I work mostly with 2mm Depron)? If they can cut cardboard, they should be able to do foam (?), excepting the need for having a constant supply of very sharp blades to keep the foam from ripping.

My daughter in law has an old Cricut that I may upgrade for her - if she lets me have the old one!

Gene K
One option for cutting Depron is, I believe, the Phlatprinter: http://www.phlatboyz.com/ No, I have no experience with it, but I have given it some thought!

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post

Gene K
Where can I get a sheet of 2mm Depron so I can test it? - I have a 24X12 Cutting Mat - I have "heavy Duty blades" designed to cut harder cardboard for scrapbooks and picture mats - so it should pull right through Depron....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Where can I get a sheet of 2mm Depron so I can test it?
I'll send some. Check PM, please.

Gene K