HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
Build Log
AerodromeRC Sopwith Camel 1/9 Scale

Well I started the Sopwith Camel in the modeling of B6299 Lieutenant Normal Miers MacGregor of 19th squadron RNAS B flight. This is an AerodromeRC kit – but I’m making some changes from the original design. I pulled apart the front fuselage so I could add scale stringers and siding, and a scale cockpit with floor, wicker chair (yes, I will make a wicker chair) and operating controls – the stick will move with the ailerons and the elevator, the rudder bar will be connected to the rudder servo and seeing there is no throttle – it saves me from connecting that.
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:27 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
The tail surfaces are built right on the plan and are straight forward. I built the split elevator because I am going to incorporate duel pull-pull lines to the tail – but I will still connect the two elevator half’s with a small dowel, so in case one side pulls differently I don’t end up with an “aileron effect” on the tail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:28 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
The aft end of the fuselage is square stick, and again, very straight forward. The fuselage is built in two sections, the front as a “box” and the rear stringers. The plans have small 1/16 square balsa supports, but I am not going to use them, and instead rig the entire tail with Kevlar thread – both on the sides and the top – like the real one did with flying wire - little if not measurable weight gain, but will add a significant about if rigidity to the tail section – might even survive one of MY landings.

The cockpit is getting most of my attention lately with brass instruments, a full compass, and a modified instrument panel. – Should look great with the wicker chair – (Just started that)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, CT, Naugatuck
Joined Mar 2011
70 Posts
Its looking awesome so far!
jace314 is offline Find More Posts by jace314
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,984 Posts
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:05 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Woo Hoo, great scheme love Mark Miller's rendition inTHe History of No.10 Squadron RNAS.

I got the book for a Sopwith Triplane I did a while back. In the RNAS book it was a 10 Squadron plane before going to No.9.

I also plan on doing a Micro version of this Camel.

Excellent work.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:10 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
If you want an incredible read (I could not put it down) and you have interest in early Naval air - or just the "other" side of the air war: Read A History of No. 10 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service, in World War I [Hardcover]

http://www.amazon.com/History-Squadr...9115009&sr=1-2

Marks Miller's artwork and great writing -
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:11 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
I want to re-do the panel tonight - the last coat of shellac brought the gloss up too much for my liking -
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:52 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
MUCH better panel - sometimes you have to do things a few times to get it right - in the last photo is the picture of a WW1 aviator's Girl in 1918 with a "colored" process for the print- The rich and famous had the money to "color" their photo's - 4000 dpi scan and printed on a high-res printer @ 4000 dpi - the picture replicates a 5X7" personal photo - The yellow lines on the green mat are 1" apart - I love technology...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:14 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,307 Posts
The detailing on various models on this site is something else, we're now going in to pilots personal effects!

Nicely done.
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:33 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
903 Posts
Her clothes are ten years out of fashion for 1918.....or did the pilot prefer older women?
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:52 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
hahaaa - Maybe it was his mom? - from: http://e-vint.com/early.html

I liked the "colored picture" and the style -
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
I'm going in.... If I'm not back in three days - send Beer and more Thatch - Tell my wife I'm working on fixing the furniture - Smaller picture is the goal -
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,617 Posts
Nice!
phillip57 is online now Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:11 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
999 Posts
Head up - take breath - sip of favorite beverage - Back for round 2 - Going together as planned - still have to tighten up everything and align the wicker - so you may see some straggler threads that need trimming.... - should be ready for a thinned coat of Shellac by day's end - Then it's seat belt and leather trim time...
RCG Plus Member