HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:06 PM
New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
Rx Battery replacements

My Standard Airtronics 700mAh NiCd RX pack finally died after many years of good service. I have several other packs of the same age that I expect to go the same way in the near future. I am evaluating what I am going to do for RX batteries for my Nitro planes going forward. I use the std wall charger to charge my TX and RX batteries and have never had an issue. I like the idea of keeping things simple and standard as I think less complex a system is the less likely it is to fail.
My options I see are as follows:

1:Replace with the same Sanyo NiCd pack (old tech but works)
2:Replace with a similar capacity MiMh batteries (cheap and lighter)
3:Replace with a similar weight MiMh battery (need new charger or a lot of time to charge with the low capacity NiCd charger)
4: Replace with a 6v (not 4.8v) similar capacity MiMh which will be a similar weight as a std pack with the extra voltage. (need a new charger)
5: Replace with a BEC and use any of a number of LiPo batteries that I have already and charge as I would for either a Heli or an electric plane.

I keep going between option 2 and 5. I have no issues with any of my electric powered planes which all have a BEC as part of the speed controller. A single BEC which can be switched between 5v and 6v are very inexpensive but then I am adding another level of things to go wrong! Option 2 is also inexpensive and less complex but I am now adding MiMh into the mix!
Anyone have some wisdom to add to this that makes the decision easier as there are pro's and cons to all.

Thanks
dzbum is offline Find More Posts by dzbum
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:19 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,104 Posts
The newer Eneloop Nimh cells ought to work well. You can retain the simplicity of Nimh with larger capacity batteries that have very little residual voltage loss.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,368 Posts
If you are getting into 2.4 radio systems , check with your radio supplier and see what they suggest for your uses .
Simply switching brands or voltages does not cover the need to use batteries which can hold voltages needed under load . Voltage depression inactual use is a very real issue

Under very light loads - must stuff works
Unless you actually can measure what the loads are in your model - you can miss the necessary requirements by a mile
The old 72 stuf just slowed down under high loads - the 2.4 can -and will stop.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
This is a 72Mhz radio (all mine are) I have no issues with slowdown with the current std battery. I can measure the static current draw which is as expected pretty low but I have not sent up a peak level meter into the air.

A MiHi cell will delver a higher current then a NiCd of a similar (physical size). A BEC of sufficient capacity with a LiPo pack will deliver a lot more current than an either of the other two. I am considering going to 6v to increase speed and torque of servo's as I am considering changing battery pack type anway.
As I am not having issues with a 700mAh NiCd pack it stands to reason that I would not have issues with a 2000mAh MiHi or a 1000mAh 20C LiPo with a 10A BEC, or am I missing your point?

Thanks for your input.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,368 Posts
The LiPo has potentially the highest C rating ( and this is printed on it)
The other choices - could be just fine --the trick is to choose NIMH which have good C ratings
many of em utilize only 1c or 2 c rated cells.
Beware the bargain packs
But unless you actually measure -using a volt meter and a load say-- at least one amp-- preferrably 2 amps-- you just will not know.
If they drop one volt under the load - forget em
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Richard, I get your point. Yes assume I am going to be using a quality pack with the appropriate rating. I am leaning towards a BEC as I have several LiPo packs that fit the bill. I am hesitant to add in a BEC as its just another item to fail. That said all my electric planes have a BEC and I have never had an issue!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:26 PM
New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
I went with a UBEC 6v 5A (5 standard servo's) I am going to put a deans connector on the battery side and that way and can put in any of my LiPo's. I have some 1000mAh 11.1v and some 2200mAh 7.4v all with way higher current rating that I will need for a TX.