HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:17 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
The forecast has changed and it looks like the wind is going to flick around with a southerly front, then go SW, and build to very strong ... but with some rain, and also the peak is late at night. Anyway we're going to head out anyway and see how it goes.

The weather here changes so fast, and is more unpredictable than back home (never thought that's possible!) This morning the day was really bright sunny blue skies, but looking west you wouldn't know there were any alps, as they were all covered with a thick cloud blanket. Apparently raining over a lot of the Alps and west side. Now you can see some of the peaks.

Yesterday Alex and wife Talitha came round here for dinner, and Peter was working the BBQ but worried about imminent rain about 7pm ... then it did rain ... but he persisted. I said it looks pretty well set in, and he said yeah but often they get a front pass over and it clears. I was dubious but 20 mins later we were in sunshine watching a big long cloud bank steaming off to the north!

Woke to plenty of wind this morning. (slept much better too). I went for an almost hour long walk with Peter and Rose and had a great chat and saw good views etc. Then Peter and I leapt into his car and raced to a field close by, to see a mate of his (John) maiden a new Hobby King Phoenix 2000. It wasn't ideal with about 20kts wind blowing but it was a good maiden. I can't believe the value with those planes. It cost about $70 but the freight is about $45. For some reason HK won't send from the Aust warehouse to NZ - it all comes from Hong Kong.

Alex just texted that it might be best to go to Sugarloaf again with this forecast. The wind is cold! I'm taking all my warm stuff!

The DSX linkage is fixed so it's ready to fly again.

I have some great video of yesterday but I haven't finished doing it yet.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:34 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,224 Posts
Superb video Andrew, thanks for posting. Bummer we only got a few minutes at Parker when you were here before the lift dropped out.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,046 Posts
Did you get some goggles?
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:24 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
Back at Sugarloaf now. Front came thru on the short drive up and it hailed! Now at least 30 Kts and extremely cold! I am sitting in car watching the others using the the lame excuse of charging my Tx! But it looks like the zone is bad .., yup they are coming back ... Oh and big rain band almost here.

Yes Peter has loaned me some ski goggles. Hailing again now!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:47 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
HEading for Wainui now.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:14 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
We've been at Wainui for about an hour now. This is the most fabulous place. Seriously. Absolutely unbelievable here in both directions. The DS is just so clean and crisp and smooth. We've had four guys all DSing along the ridge at the same time. The wind is a moderate at the moment maybe 15 knots. If there was a lonely planet guide to DS spots this would be number one in the world.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Sounds like you found Nirvana. ENJOY!
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Thanks guys. Steve, I'm in the kitchen with Peter F and he says unfortunately the restaurant is either knocked down or not open. But they may have shifted. Did you know the name??
Unfortunately I can't remember the name, but I believe it was in Gloucester St, next to Chancery Ln opposite the library.
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:21 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
We've been at Wainui for about an hour now. This is the most fabulous place. Seriously. Absolutely unbelievable here in both directions. The DS is just so clean and crisp and smooth. We've had four guys all DSing along the ridge at the same time. The wind is a moderate at the moment maybe 15 knots. If there was a lonely planet guide to DS spots this would be number one in the world.
Right on! Always loved the looks of that hill in all the videos.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:58 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Well i have to give a big thanks to Andrew as i was handed the reigns and can now say im one of the privleged ones to throw the Scratcho into the dark side.
Fantastic day fantastic site fantastic company!!
radacl69 is offline Find More Posts by radacl69
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:24 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
I think I've said it above in the short posts from the phone, but Wainui is an exceptional site. It works in both wind directions and the each side is huge and steep. There are no saddles or gaps or shapes that you'd expect to cause leakage into the backside. The view is just stunning.We had me and Peter F, Alex and Rob and Richard. We flew JW's, Windburner, Scratchos, Tracer, Willow and others I've forgotten. It was only mild/ light air, but I am so priveleged to have been there. It was really excellent.

I don't want to go into a huge report about it - I have plenty of video which will give you a really good appreciation of the site. But I'd like to mention some highlights.

Again, on the hour long drive it was overwhelming, the number of "perfect looking" hills around. Peter pointed out quite a few that are known flying sites. Of course many don't have a road to the top, but I don't think it would be exaggerating to say that there would be a hundred potential sloping spots within an hour or so of Christchurch which would be at least as good as some of our local sites.

The drive up the ridge is spectacular. It just goes up and up, and many great views.

The cold!!! You guys coming in December won't have that problem but the SW wind today brought a bit of snow and hail and although the sky was blue and clear when we got there, it was damn cold! I was suffering. I had to strip down and get my thermals on and I had 4 or 5 layers of clothing on my top half, full windproof stuff outside, an evil criminal style balaclava and gloves. The gloves allow a fingertip and thumb tip to poke out, and they were in pain. The thermometer said 7 deg C. After flying for a while on the backside I felt warmer ... it was 10 deg C!

The DS shear was perfect. Pretty sure I have never felt better. I was doing light tight circles thru the shear really close and I've never been able to hold them together so well before. It started to feel easy. You could stall just above the lip, fall over the back, turn and hug the slope and come back out easily.

The DSable ridge is so long. Truly, we had 4 guys all DSing at the same time with no threat to each other. And there was more room at the far end if you wanted to walk down there. Now granted, it was light air so the circles were smaller. But it gives you an idea.

Not sure if I'll be so lucky, but I really hope I get to fly there in some big air.

P.S. I have finished yesterday's video and will upload it overnight. Now I have to start on today's!!
Last edited by AvB; Oct 06, 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:30 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
559 Posts
Quote:
=AvB;22926852
The cold!!! You guys coming in December won't have that problem .
don't be so sure of that. Christchurch can be just as hot or cold as it pleases regardless of the season
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:02 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
Right on! Always loved the looks of that hill in all the videos.
Thank you for watching the videos
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Just looked at the video on Vimeo, that is some crazy wind
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:43 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
Here's the video of the crazy wind flying at Sugarloaf and Cass, the day before yesterday.

When the wind's that strong and you have to stand on top of the ridge, in the full blast of the wind like the first Cass flight, one problem is not being able to hear the sound of the plane over the noise of the wind.

If I'd landed the DSX OK, I could have arranged to give Alex a go on Mode 2, and I am totally sure he would have done 330+. Compared to my flying, it's like he's got an inbuilt missile guidance system. I'm more annoyed at myself now because I looked at my Tx the next day and I'm sure I forgot to switch back to high rates for landing ... accounting for the wider than expected turn putting me outside the limited soft flat LZ.

Hey Dominic, thanks for joining the thread. Embarrassed to say it took me a day or 2 to remember your name again ... I have so many guys I only remember by their RCG names! And even then I forget who's who before long. I blame dementia now that I'm over 51. Anyway mate, you need to get over here when you can.

The flying site at Wainui ridge is at 675 m altitude, and from both sides it rises from sea level.

Wow, 4 days in a row DSing.Today will be a quiet day I think - not sure if there will be any flying. Hope I'll get onto the Wainui video today or tonight.

5Oct2012 Sugarloaf and Cass (21 min 43 sec)
Last edited by AvB; Oct 06, 2012 at 03:20 PM.