HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:37 PM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
567 Posts
+1

Less boobs than SBS, but better content

That Shockwave makes the most insane shredding noise ever! Love it.

Thanks for the report & vid Andrew. Good luck for Sat.
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:40 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
Haha! Not many boobs on the hills worst luck!

Here's the video of sugarloaf yesterday. We are back uhttp://vimeo.com/50794921p there at the moment and I'm posting this with my iPhone. It's an north-westerly so we are DSing it in the opposite direction and it's freaking awesome. TopSpeed only around 160 but fantastic fun. Me Alex and Andrew P.

Sugarloaf visit - AvB and Alex H - 4th Oct 2012 (3 min 48 sec)
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:48 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
Far out Alex has the ampreg scratcho up and got 192 with it
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:21 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
AvB Compact DSX 231mph scary stuff landed OK. Site record.

Edit: 10 mins later ...Alex just got 218 with the ampreg scratcho with half ballast
Last edited by AvB; Oct 04, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:29 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Fwiw you can get pure lanolin from chemists or supermarkets in small tubes. Its called lansinoh I think. Breast feeding mums use it for cracked nips.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:44 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,232 Posts
Sweet vids guys..
Looks like your having a great day today... Very cool
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
We have moved to Cass ridge. Wind is insane. Just read 72mph on the wind meter. Alex flew the ampreg scratcho - ridiculously wild. You had to see it to believe it. Main problem is getting blown about making it hard to stand up while flying. Cliff edge so no backside to stand in. Stupid crazy wild. Got 234 but can't hOld 2 consecutive laps together. Total contrast to sugarloaf. Gnarly. Not sure I should fly DSX.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:49 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Yes, excellent from start to finish.

You guys will be happy to know you made the right call on not coming down today. The wind went from nothing to gale force over the space of maybe an hour but really only peaked for 15 minutes or so. Then exactly to schedule came the rain and no wind.

Dropping wind and sleet predicted for tomorrow .

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:53 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
I did fly the DSX and survived the DS flight, being gunned at 265mph. I am unashamedly confident it was well over 300. I know what that looks like! The speed for the first 5 minutes was just awesome. It was ripping harder, much harder than my 306 flight at Weldon, once I worked out a line that didn’t make the plane just about fall out of the sky over the back. Very scary to stand next to the edge of the cliff - if you go a bit wide and shoot out close to you, you’re too scared to look up for fear of falling over. Anyway rather than hand it over to the experts for landing (Alex and Andrew P have got some magic skill at landings; you have to see it and you’d say the same) I insisted on doing it myself. The result … I’d say at my skill level, I got an A for Effort and for Improvement, but I did come too close and got in the lee of the big tree and it fell in hard onto some big rocks. It grazed under the wing (not bad), tore off the servo cover (not found … you have to see this NZ thick bush to believe how dense it is!), busted a ball link connector (Peter has another!) and has kinked the nose cone slightly. But it should be easily fixed which is important as we want it back in the air tomorrow.

Wow what an unexpectedly crazy day!!! To fly in 72mph winds is a major life event in any DSers' book. I can't quite believe it.

Basically it was great flying at Sugarloaf and we were there for ages. It was some of the best light Scratcho flying I’ve ever done, and the DSX was impressive, but scary holding the line. As the speed built you couldn’t help feeling the presence of the rocky outcrop if you took a low exit, and the big towers on the next hill if you opened up the top turn. Alex was going so hard with the Ampreg Scratcho it was making some very serious noise! Andrew P also did very excellent laps with the vac bagged Scratcho.

The wind built and built and the power was great, but it gradually got harder and harder to hold the line against the whitewash in the backside. We all started to battle with it. The wind got crazy! On the flatlands to the NW you could see smoke and dust, indicating the wind, and when we were sure it had gone quite west, we decided to pack up and head for Cass Ridge. It’s only 5 minutes away and a craggy spot, not steep on the front but vertical on the back. We had recorded 71 mph on the meter at Sugarloaf, and got 72mph on the top of Cass. And solid.

Alex was quick to fly the Ampreg Scratcho and it was a crazy flight. Enough said. I couldn’t have done it. He was quite tetchy with the stress of it … crazy wind, mega lift, mixed air on the back, and getting literally blown off balance by the wind standing next to the cliff, on rough ground. Finally he quit, but not before getting 234mph. And the landing was impressive.

I wasn’t nervous about flying the DSX but realistically knew it was pushing beyond the margins of my skill level. Andrew P is to blame … he urged me to do it! But seriously, how often do you get those sort of conditions?? I had to try. Flew it with both steel joiners and wing ballast … about 6.8kg. First entry was scary – nearly lost it flopping about like a sick ostrich trying to fly. But then I got a line worked out and it was so damn powerful, but a dangerous roll in if I tried to come to the gun. Once the speed built, high laps were fast. Huge laps were smooth and fast. There was a lot of interference with the gun reading weird speeds and I was flying too far away to get good reads. Anyway I gave it everything I had and eventually quit, and walking to the landing view spot, lost sight of it. Pulled full elevator and it took a good few seconds till we saw it way high, well downwind. I did one landing approach –should have practiced, but it came down well, so I pressed on, came a bit close and it flopped and fell in the last bit. Alex hung his head … I felt bad. But overall I think the DSX got out of it lightly.

For some time Alex has been slightly annoying on the forum saying that their conditions here are very very good, and that others should come to visit and fly. Well, he is right. I’m here to tell you that the amount of wind they get here (regularly) and the number of exciting sites around is totally awesome.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:56 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post

I didn't have much luck till I went to the "Warehouse" discount shop. It's huge and has pretty much everything, at good prices.
Oh no! I thought I'd escaped it forever

If you've got time and the inclination, there is a little japanese restaurant in Chch city just around the corner from the cathedral that is well worth a visit. Super cheap and great food and service as good as any michelin starred place. Might not have survived the quake though

Keep up the good report, I miss NZ quite a lot and will return to visit the old haunts one day.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
Hey Andrew, great reports and video of the trip so far. Hope you go back in December when me and some of the Vic crew head over as the way you document a trip is priceless.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:37 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,427 Posts
Thanks guys. Steve, I'm in the kitchen with Peter F and he says unfortunately the restaurant is either knocked down or not open. But they may have shifted. Did you know the name??

The flying over the last few days has got me thinking back to the day I got 272 with the DSX at Larrikin. In my mind the Larrikin experience was fast but very much under control, and about as "relaxing" as fast DS can be. Whereas the 2 sites we've been to with 200+ power have been rough and gnarly. That's just due to the wind angle at those 2 sites but it did get me thinking and appreciating just how good that air was at Larrikin.

Tomorrow is Wainui after lunch ... looking forward to that.

Date: 5th Oct 2012
Pilot: Andrew Von Berky
Plane: Wizard Compact DSX
Speed: 265mph
Witness: Alex Hewson
Gun: Falcon
Gyro: No

Pilot: Alex Hewson
Plane: Scratcho (Ampreg)
Speed: 234mph
Witness: Andrew Von Berky

Plane: Wizard Compact DSX
Speed: 231mph

Plane: Scratcho (Ampreg)
Speed: 218mph
Witness: Andrew Von Berky

Plane: JW60
Speed: 176 mph
Witness: Andrew Palmer

Pilot: Andrew Palmer
Plane: Scratcho (orig vac bagged)
Speed: 155mph

Pilot: Andrew Palmer
Plane: JW60
Speed: 149mph

Plane: Scratcho (light)
Speed: 147mph

Plane: RT42
Speed: 139mph
Witness: Andrew von Berky
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:42 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,232 Posts
Crazy report Andrew.. 72mph.. Sound like you need less wind. Must have been a$$ puckering wild flying.
I guess 50mph might have been faster , well at least smoother. Cactus and larrican are very smooth but not as much wind , we all would love to see how there would be in storm force wind.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:01 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,071 Posts
Have to say that having a spot like Sugarloaf 15min from your home is totally unfair!!!
Seeing all this wind conditions and sites I feel I'm always in the wrong place
raise your hand to sky and thank god!!!
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:06 PM
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Oct 2009
28 Posts
Reading all this, some of you might think that AvB has come here to fly. Nah, he spends nearly every waking moment slaving over a hot keyboard. Occasionally, while waiting for a big video upload, he tears himself away to grab a few hours sleep. And every now and then he is persuaded to go fly. And he wonders why he has worn out fingers and sore eyes!

I keep telling him that we get 72mph pretty much every day. But I think he's worked out that it isn't actually true, because he hears us talking about doing DLG and giving the big thermal planes some exercise.

Peter
pierrefrancais is offline Find More Posts by pierrefrancais