SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
we did get a couple of minutes of nice smooth light air DS. Walked up the hill to try another zone and it was patchy. Had to do a couple of Thermallingrescue efforts. Then hit bad air and sank and ended up with the scratcho going out of sight down below and it's landed out of sight. Off to drive down and look for it now
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
I cannot believe it. We found it close to the road way down the hill pretty much on exactly the line we thought it had gone out of sight. It went in like a lawn dart with flaps on and is completely undamaged.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:07 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,293 Posts
Great news! Which Scratcho was it?

Has wind increased where you are? 20oddMPH NW at Mt John
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:33 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,415 Posts
Ha ha king of land outs..well done.
Love to snow pics , post card.

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:10 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
It's definitely more stable and constant and we are DSing quite nicely all the time now with speeds maybe a maximum of 100 to 110. I just held Alex's wind gauge up for a while which seems to have a stuffed bearing and it read between 15 and 25 mph. But it does still feel a bit off angle from the right.

It was my light molded Scratcho that out landed. I've been DSing it since.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:12 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,099 Posts
....that's a trained Scratcho, it land itself,
hope the wind gets better so I can watch another video
decones is online now Find More Posts by decones
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,039 Posts
International

I had heard something of an international NewZealand fly in. Is this whats happening?
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,099 Posts
Nooo.... it's only AvB making some noise....
The Int week will be in December,
Check DS tab on rcgroups
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
The wind got lighter and when the lift dropped, after the Scratcho experience I hurriedly landed and had a fairly sketchy landing with the Willow. Hit a rock with nose and bounced up ... No damage. We've got back to Fairlie now and are heading home.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indubitably View Post
I had heard something of an international NewZealand fly in. Is this whats happening?
Hi John, International DS event is in December. Andrew has come over this month as it suits him with work etc.

Would be great to have some more guys from the US here in December
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
Aaaaaargh just called Alex who said to check the Mt John report ... It shows that the wind came W and picked up to 25 knots for an hour or so!! When we left it looked very lazy and didn't look like improving. Oh well. I wish we'd stayed coz we could have correlated the flying on the hill with Mt John. They don't always agree.

Warning to you guys coming in December ... The prepaid sim thing is not cheap here like it is in the States. I went with 2degrees and can't recommend it. But I'm not sure that the others are better. If you phone home at all it uses up huge amounts of credit. I've spent way too much topping it up twice. Data is ok and texts ok too but the calls are ridiculously expensive. Plan to use Skype as much as possible. I've also heard that there are some other deals that work around the world so it would be worth googling some backpacker sites etc.
Last edited by AvB; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:56 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,045 Posts
Andrew, now would be a good time to download Viber on your I phone and try if it works. I have downloaded it on my phone. Apparently it is free. Give me a call and see how good it works.
AeroNut45 is online now Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroNut45 View Post
Andrew, now would be a good time to download Viber on your I phone and try if it works. I have downloaded it on my phone. Apparently it is free. Give me a call and see how good it works.
That's really good app for Iphone, Androids, etc...
I use Whatsapp as well, feel free to try it, my number +55 41 88937067
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
I don't wanna get too off-topic, but what's the benefit of Viber over Skype? Years ago Skype was only on Wi-fi, but now that it works on the cellular network, I don't understand what Viber offers.

We got back last night and I totally enjoyed the very generous hospitality of Andrew and wife Suetonia - despite the fact that my I was so tired it was a wonderful evening. Andrew has been a super keen aeromodeller all his life, managing to combine lots of flying experience (both RC and some full size) with a very busy professional career, with Suetonia's strong support. F3A was his passion, but he's gone to the dark side and is also now a fearsome RC heli pilot. In recent years he's started working closely with Heli Direct, tech advice and testing etc, and ... without overwhelming you with the details ... he gets to play with some VERY cool toys!! Think of the most amazing man-cave shed setup you can imagine ... OK, now hold that image ... now multiply it by 10 and you're almost there.

Last night in the dark we played spotlight flying ... two of us spotlighting a small electric foamie as he tore around the back paddock. I had a fly too and managed to avoid carnage, which was all I hoped for. Then he set up a heli with LED blades ... only these are Night Magic blades which have 36 LED's on both the top and bottom of the blades ... also LED's on the rotor blades, and others on the frame.

He took off, hovered, and then next thing there were graphic images appearing in the rotor!!! Dead set, flicking between Batman, smiley faces, Donald Duck, etc, ... then he inverted it and pictures in different colours were on the other side. Look seriously I was overcome ... I've never seen anything like that. It was like nighttime Las Vegas in the air. Totally amazing. I took video of it so you'll get the full picture.

I fondled a light indoor 3D plane so Andrew stuck a battery in that and gave a brilliant 3D demo in the still night air ... rudder brushing the fence post, hovering thru gaps between trees and so on.

I really enjoyed the great company, ripping yarns around dinner, the amazing workshop, toys and overwhelming flying demos. My brain was saturated and excited! Is it any wonder that I slept so lightly again!! Or perhaps that was yesterday arvo's coffee. Oh, on the subject of coffee ... Suetonia loves coffee, has a VERY serious coffee machine, and REALLY knows how to use it! This morning I had 2 brilliant macchiatos. Honestly, I have been so spoilt this trip, it's ridiculous.

Oh, and after the coffee we all went out to the airstrip in the paddock with an enormous molded F3A plane (converted to electric) and with Suetonia calling, he did an F3A pattern flying sequence ... part of practicing for the upcoming nationals. First time I've seen it. Compared to slope/ DS, it looks slow and high up, very controlled, accurate precise flying within a "box" that they mark with ribbons on trees in the paddock.

Today we're planning to head to the ridge north of Wainui, the other side of Akaroa, to test it out in today's northerly.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
This short video shows the "small" local slope near Peter F's house, which is about 100x better than my local slopes! And a bit of description of the problems retrieving planes lost in the dreaded Gorse bush.

A "Small" local slope at Christchurch ... and the dreaded Gorse bush. (4 min 31 sec)