Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:32 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
James has been cloned.
As far as he doesn't have a ladybird face that's ok!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
31 Posts
Having killed one of my motors by popping the bottom out and crushing the brushes, I've sucessfully repaired it by removing the bottom of an S107 motor and snipping the casing away from the brushes. Tweezers got rid of the existing crushed brushes and a few minutes with a .6mm drill got rid of the wires. I widened the wire hole in the base of the X4 motor, threaded thro' a new pair of wires, soldered the 107 brushes on and replaced - only downside is that the crimps wouldn't re-crimp. I ended up wacking some PlastiZap onto the base (I'd guess normal CA wouldn't cope?) and hoping the push fit of the motor in the arm would keep the motor intact. Added electrical tape as per other mods.

A word of warning - I used 5-6 S107 motors to get 1 pair of brushes, but then I'm very much a novice at mucking about with motors. Luckily, I picked up a job lot from my local Modelzone after the returns from last Christmas :-D The technique I found best was to use flat-edged snips to get the worst of the plastic off, then scalpel the rest away. Cut the connection to the wire, then tweezer the brush out.

Flies fine, a little bit lacking on the flips, but that might be my flying, or that I damaged one of the brushes slightly(?) Had 4 battery packs out of it today, including some upside-down impacts and so far so good. Has anyone had any thoughts of a wire cage type thing to prevent this?

Turns out an S107 motor base doesn't quite fit all the way into the case - the central 2mm well / bearing / indent is too shallow, around 0.5-1mm or so. I believe it could probably be milled out, but I've yet to need to try. Maybe one could shave the end off the shaft...

If anyone cares enough, I'll rip apart another motor and take some pics. Hopefully this might help!
ShaKaan is offline Find More Posts by ShaKaan
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Feb 2010
419 Posts
Just got my X4 yesterday from SunSky. Two weeks from the day I ordered it. Great little quad! After testing with OEM battery, I changed the lead to MicroDeans. Have about a dozen batts for My Genius CP that will work. Put a small spacer on the motor shaft to prevent prop from pushing the the back of the motor out in an upsidedown crash. Now to have some indoor fun!
HELIRON69 is offline Find More Posts by HELIRON69
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:41 PM
bao
It was on fire when i arrived!
France, RA, La Laupie
Joined Dec 2007
609 Posts
Small vid , only got it today so nothing special lol

hubsan x4 (1 min 31 sec)

And first cam test using a keychain cam without its shell

hubsan x4 premiere cam (1 min 45 sec)

i'll get a better cam vid when theres daylight tomorrow
bao is offline Find More Posts by bao
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,408 Posts
Hi S,
Congrats on your motor micro-surgery.
--If you want tighter flips, push the expert rates all the way to 100 for pitch, roll and yaw. \
--As for more crash protection for practicing flips, I would recommend using double sided tape and using that to attach some squares of light-weight open cel foam stuck to the top and bottom of the X4.

Good on the ET mod too
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKaan View Post
...Added electrical tape as per other mods.
...Flies fine, a little bit lacking on the flips, but that might be my flying, or that I damaged one of the brushes slightly(?) Had 4 battery packs out of it today, including some upside-down impacts and so far so good. Has anyone had any thoughts of a wire cage type thing to prevent this?

If anyone cares enough, I'll rip apart another motor and take some pics. Hopefully this might help!
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,550 Posts
Putting the pieces together

Right after James criticized youxif for posting X4 videos in the Microcopter RTF thread, the clone appeared! How coincidental! And the clone is posting Youtube videos just like youxif. And I remember James had some conflict earlier with Hubsan (youxif works at Hubsan).
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Yeah. I don't understand. Hubsan seems to be selling these things like hotcakes. They get great reviews. Why the extra promotion and commotion?
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:46 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Right after James criticized youxif for posting X4 videos in the Microcopter RTF thread, the clone appeared! How coincidental! And the clone is posting Youtube videos just like youxif. And I remember James had some conflict earlier with Hubsan (youxif works at Hubsan).
Wasn't even criticizing them either, was just suggesting they could be more involved at helping their customers... I think if it isn't youxif, it's someone we all know too well... He misses us a lot I guess!

Oh well, tis life, one second you are minding your own business, next second an evil clone appears. Instead of posting irrelevant stuff on the forum, maybe it can help me with some reviews! I need a cameraman that can be on call 24/7
jameschen072 is online now Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,550 Posts
Yes, I don't mean criticize in that sense. To them, it was, but in reality, it was not.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:14 PM
Hubsan X4 - H36 - V911
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Oct 2012
1,139 Posts
Is youxif really working for hubsan??
bangkomit is offline Find More Posts by bangkomit
Last edited by bangkomit; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Wasn't even criticizing them either, was just suggesting they could be more involved at helping their customers... I think if it isn't youxif, it's someone we all know too well... He misses us a lot I guess!

Oh well, tis life, one second you are minding your own business, next second an evil clone appears. Instead of posting irrelevant stuff on the forum, maybe it can help me with some reviews! I need a cameraman that can be on call 24/7
I think Youxif from DS4U
massimoflying is offline Find More Posts by massimoflying
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimoflying View Post
I think Youxif from DS4U
I don't think Hubsan need any promotion at moment,they might in headache of too many orders.
fpvguy001 is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy001
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
bao
It was on fire when i arrived!
France, RA, La Laupie
Joined Dec 2007
609 Posts
I like my hubsan, could do with some spares available somewhere !!!!!!!!!! dont need them yet but i would like to stock up , ive done a check here in france and the uk all over the www. and nobody has stock !!!!!

Got my daylight shots in

Hubsan x4 onboard cam stable (3 min 44 sec)
bao is offline Find More Posts by bao
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao View Post
I like my hubsan, could do with some spares available somewhere !!!!!!!!!! dont need them yet but i would like to stock up , ive done a check here in france and the uk all over the www. and nobody has stock !!!!!

Got my daylight shots in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEP1XAfHYqA
Parts available at Modelzone.co.uk

Can you let me know more details about your camera spec., pls send me a web link on ebay, thank you

Please....
midlandheli is offline Find More Posts by midlandheli