SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:09 AM
Joined Feb 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Cool, how did you attach them?

Your X4 has gone from looking like a little Frog to a water boatman...
Attachment 5530482
Yes, it looks like that.

I just used some hooks-and-loops cable ties that I had at hand. I wrapped those tightly around the legs first and then pushed the plastic ties underneath.
mirkot is offline Find More Posts by mirkot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,618 Posts
I replaced x-4 props with Ladybird props. Slight imporovement but nothing of a big deal. Bottom line this is a must have Quad if you like mico quads. This Quad was refreshing after unstable V939. WL toys blew it with this mess.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:34 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,311 Posts
Should have bought the WLToys V949. It's not as small but easily as stable as the X4. Gave mine to a few X4 pilots at our Sunday evening indoor session and very impressed with its performance and rapid flips. Even gave John Stennard (club member & columnist for Quiet & Electric Flight Int mag) a go and he flies mode 1. Amazed at it's out of the box hands off stability
Still love my X4 but still learning and find the V949. That is until I forget I'm on 100% rates and it autoflips on take off
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:24 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkot View Post
Yes, it looks like that.

I just used some hooks-and-loops cable ties that I had at hand. I wrapped those tightly around the legs first and then pushed the plastic ties underneath.
Ah I've got you, thanks for that.

So ok everyone, my BG 7mm "hollowcup" motors arrived, I fitted all 4 of them into a new X4 shell with udi blades then placed my board in there, thinkin it would like a new X4.....

had some really strange wobblyness (oscillations) swapped back to my slightly battered X4 blades and I'm back in the air.

The 7mm "hollow cup" motors read 1.8Ohms while the stock motor read 2.3Ohms, let's see what my flight times come out at, I also have the cheaper 7mm motors sold in pairs on the way, I'll call in with their stats once I have them.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:39 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
I suspect "hollow cup" means "coreless".
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Yeah that was my theory too, I just put hollowcup to identify these motors (the item description for this exact one, they have a few, some cheaper some more expensive) with what call this item.

The ohms law calculator on my phone says each one of these motor wants to pull 2.3A
V=4.2V
I=Amps
R=1.8Ohms

I = V*R
4.2*1.8=2.333Amp

That can't be rite surely?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:14 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Lost one rear prop other day. My wife found it and installed but knicks prop off. Used some model cement easy and it held fine. Then wacked llamp and broke both rear blades. Bang good has them but its new years over there. I used U816 on lost prop but quad motor got warmer than others and stoped using it. I fly quads alot and never broke a blade. Bent a few but still useable. I wonder if Ladybird props will work till I get replacement Husban props. I like the shape of Husban. Are props sold here in USA with reasonable postage ??

Just installed Ladybird props all the way around and flys very well. I think even better than stock blades.
Price is $4 a set, but you only get charged real postage and can probably add some other stuff.
http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/...rop-set-4.html

Also, Romeo may be able to sell you other brand props which fit and cost less...
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:06 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Prop

Tried the hubsan prop set, and also the ladybird set, both fly ok but the ladybird set seems to be running at a somewhat lower rpm and makes the X4 a little bit less nervous Maybe the flight time will also increase but i have to try that first..
eddiecornelli is offline Find More Posts by eddiecornelli
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:01 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,618 Posts
$4.00 set of X-4 blades is not bad if they were duralable. Fact is my rears broke pretty easy compared to any of the rest.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,691 Posts
I've found resistance reading of motor changes as you spin the shaft. Anybody else noticed this?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
I bought a spare set of motors with mine and had to replace one, the new one didn't spin as freely, it was always the first one to stop spinning, so I swapped it out for another and that was just as bad..must be a bad set of motors. Is there a motor upgrade for the x4..?
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:13 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,719 Posts
Hi D,
Yep. The correct way of measuring a brushed motor's Ohm resistance value is to slowly turn the shaft while measuring. The 2 or more separate windings that are attached to the armature, depending on the motor build, will vary slightly in resistance. You take the average of that. Any reading that is a zero is bad
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I've found resistance reading of motor changes as you spin the shaft. Anybody else noticed this?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:46 PM
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Got some parts in from MassiveRC today! I'll be in the air tonight! And the next 2 days look pretty good outside; sunny and 60F!

jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
I have a feeling that only the almighty "J" can help me on this one, I got no lift...

I did stick calibrations from the Hubsan username on YouTube but I think that's the problem.

I get a max of about 6" then less, I went to my LHS and a guy who works there has a X4, here are the results...

No change.
His cell in mine.
His Tx my X4.

Flew fine.
My cell in his
My Tx his X4.

Other than a new X4 main board I don't know what to do.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 PM
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
I have a feeling that only the almighty "J" can help me on this one, I got no lift...

I did stick calibrations from the Hubsan username on YouTube but I think that's the problem.

I get a max of about 6" then less, I went to my LHS and a guy who works there has a X4, here are the results...

No change.
His cell in mine.
His Tx my X4.

Flew fine.
My cell in his
My Tx his X4.

Other than a new X4 main board I don't know what to do.
1 or more motors are bad or it's the board. Have you checked all the motors? Sometimes you can get the motors working good again if you fiddle with them. Put some dry lube spray on the bushing, wiggle the armature up and down and spin it by hand. Flick it with the prop and make sure it's spinning freely.

If 1 or more motors is not working good all the others will compensate to keep the craft level.
jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207