HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:11 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
QR-1 and Hubsan X4

Yes, I realize that they are virtually identical...

With that in mind, if the Hubsan can be had for ~$52 (shipped from china - including a spare battery, plus spare blades)...and the QR-1 can be had for $70 (USA - includes xtra battery, extra blades)...is the QR-1 worth $18 for the differences (US warranty support, dual charger, availability of parts)?

Thanks,
Bombay
Night Flying Accessories for Sale (LEDs, controllers)
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:15 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Thats a question only you can answer. To some people $18 is a lot of money, to others it isn't. They are the same mechanically so just weigh out the other slight differences.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:16 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Ayo,
Those are through hole vias for the crystal so although only the bottom has solder, it is OK. Use hot melt glue or some silicone glue(my preference) to adhere the body of the crystal to the top of the IC that they have it over.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayodhya View Post
Hi Jim,
I check the crystal, it's soldered to the pcb at the bottom of the board, it's not soldered on the top though, solder seems to hold fine at the bottom of the board, should I solder the top of the board as well? Or just leave it like that ?.. I think it's the vibration which is causing my problem.

When you say hot glue the crystal to the fc, do you mean I should put glue on the points where it's soldered to, or glue it to the black square sensor it's on top of?

Sorry Im clueless when it comes to this stuff...hence the question !

Ayo
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:56 AM
WRX STI V - EJ22 - 35.3 PSI
Malaysia, Selangor, Puchong
Joined Nov 2012
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Ayo,
Those are through hole vias for the crystal so although only the bottom has solder, it is OK. Use hot melt glue or some silicone glue(my preference) to adhere the body of the crystal to the top of the IC that they have it over.
Cheers,
Jim
Got it Jim!
More one last question about the x4 and I'll let you gents have a peaceful weekend without bugging y'all with questions...well least till Monday
I noticed the motor wires are wrapped around each other (braided like) in some of the x4s people have, mine how ever are not in such a manner... Is this normal?

And Jim, thank you again, as always you are the knight in shining armor rescuing the day... And yes so Is mcrites n mike from Germany lol...
Regards
Ayo..
Oh you guys did I tell you, I couldn't stock up on the spares for the x4 , so I stocked the x4 itself, yea 3 new untouched units hehe... And then of course theres the 929 n Chris's armattan I'm its way to me, I'm trying to make a collection... Next buy the rc logger eye one... Just saying I'm gonna have a Lotta quads to bug yall with questions in the near future!
Ayodhya is offline Find More Posts by Ayodhya
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:08 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
My motor wires are not twisted. I think it might help if your motor wires are too long but otherwise I don't see an advantage in having them this way.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:36 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Hi guys I just received my x4 being my first quadcopter purchase and I am very impressed.
I have little to no prior experience with flying gadgets and only ever played with nitro cars. I was flying within 30 seconds of taking it out of the box, as you can imagine from a newbie like myself who didn't read any of the manual I crashed it within 15 seconds lol.
It's surprisingly tough for its size and I haven't done any major damage yet, apart from bending/curling the ends of the props ever so slightly in. Hopefully I can smooth them back out while I wait for 20 spare props to arrive

All in I'm very pleased and can't wait to get home to fly it some more!
UAV.APM is offline Find More Posts by UAV.APM
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Hi U,
Welcome Here are some TIPs that will help you along theway: Improving Hubsan X4 flight performance 101
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.APM View Post
Hi guys I just received my x4 being my first quadcopter purchase and I am very impressed.
I have little to no prior experience with flying gadgets and only ever played with nitro cars. I was flying within 30 seconds of taking it out of the box, as you can imagine from a newbie like myself who didn't read any of the manual I crashed it within 15 seconds lol.
It's surprisingly tough for its size and I haven't done any major damage yet, apart from bending/curling the ends of the props ever so slightly in. Hopefully I can smooth them back out while I wait for 20 spare props to arrive

All in I'm very pleased and can't wait to get home to fly it some more!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined Apr 2007
474 Posts
Hi,
I have an X4 which is great..but i had a crash and two of the motors are now stiff to turn...any ideas?

thanks simon
symon is online now Find More Posts by symon
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:01 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Hi,
I have an X4 which is great..but i had a crash and two of the motors are now stiff to turn...any ideas?

thanks simon
Try pushing hard on top of the motor shaft? In the help index there's more detailed info, basically just put your index finger on the bottom of the motor and thumb on top then push hard!
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:04 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

thanks simon
Traxxas QR-1 Motor Armature Adjustment (1 min 45 sec)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Hi S,
You likely used the motors as landing gear and pushed the bottom of the motor out a bit, so you wan to pull, not push on the motor shaft. See the video M linked above http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1677 Then if you do get them working or replace be sure to also do the straw motor protection mod that MassiveOverkill suggests: Micro motor saver guards
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Hi,

thanks simon
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Apr 2007
474 Posts
Hi,

All done!!..brilliant thank you!!...one more question..i lost a rotor..is it just x4 ones that fit or are there other makes??

Thanks again,simon
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:17 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
You can replace them with Ladybird props (I would change them all at once) and those can be found at most local hobby stores.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2010
100 Posts
I don't like Quad, I will never Like Quadcopter...They Don't realistic scale like heli or airplane...the shape of quads really untidy, wire got in the way, Not Beauty at all. That was what I think about Quad, until Hubsan X4 Bite me when I bought it from my LHS for less than US$ 39. ....WOW!! This thing is awesome man Sleek smooth body shape, Simple, Tiny yet fly like on its rail, Very Durable (Crash it and drown in sewer, drying it with hair dryer and fly again ). I just never get bored to get it fly.

My MOD :

My Lunch Box :

polycapman is offline Find More Posts by polycapman
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:26 AM
Joined Apr 2007
474 Posts
Just bought a crash pack from here!!http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150974421996

Do the zip ties affect the handling?