HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:13 AM
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Thuwal
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Discussion
Which will fall out first?! My video link, or my control link?

Hi all,

For the control link I have a Spektrum DX6i paired up with a Spektrum a7010.
For the video link I have an Immersion 600mw 5.8GHz transmitter and the Fatshark Dominator 5.8GHz Receiver Module.

I live in a very humid place (which I assume cuts down the range of 5.8GHz) and so far the furthest I have flown is 350m, on the beach.

Most of the threads I found say to "fly it until it drops", or do a ground test, but here where I live is difficult to do a "reliable ground test" since where I normally fly is FULL of WiFi signals, and the only place I could do the test is quite far from there.

Last question... does the 1/10 rule apply to 5.8GHz too?? As in, for every 10m away I need to be 1m up?

Thanks!
P.S. Here is my quad at the beach
Pass1 is offline Find More Posts by Pass1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:59 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
Hard to tell. What video antennas do you plan to use? If using stock, the video will go first. If using circular omnis, it's a toss-up. If using a directional antenna on the VRX, your control link will drop first.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Hey Alex!

Thanks for your response! I am using circular polarized antennas, I wanted to get bluebeams (which I think are your design) but couldn't get them as part of the bundle I ordered (where I live is a PITA to get anything shipped, so I had to make the most while I was away at a conference), so I ended up with SpiroNETs.

So far the biggest scares have been some brown out of my motors... I have had 2 flips, I thought I had fixed the problem, but now it seems to be on the opposite side. Before I go any further, I will puff out the remaining bullet connectors and try again. I already broke the GPS mast once, don't want to repeat my previous mistakes (although it could have been much worse)!

What is your take on the 1:10 rule?!

Thanks again!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:06 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,191 Posts
get rid of the spektrum, get UHF LRS , it will work with DX6i
http://www.rangepiloting.com/index.p...c697c5ab057d11

or get old 72mhz radio
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Hey Ror1,
Thanks for your suggestion. I looked at your link, the antenna is bigger than my (old) tv arial! I like the portability of my current set up because I would like to take it on holiday. I live in the Middle East, with family spread over uk, Italy, Mexico,Canada and US. I know the equipment you suggested could take me way beyond where I can reach now... But where can I actually reach?

I would be satisfied to get to 1km, and very happy to get to 1 mile! Beyond that... There isn't much to see where I live: desert three sides and sea on the other!

Thanks!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:28 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,191 Posts
ha,ha yes antenna is big but works...
Ok then get old 72mhz radio like Futaba with PCM Rx so you will have failsafe.
That should be good for 3 miles out of the box.

The problem is 2.4g is only good for line of sight so if you fly down behind an object you will lose RC contact.
The UHF will work even when LOS is blocked by object.

All I can say is get "something" other than spektrum or you will lose it !!
I lost mine at 1200ft but regained control..
good luck..
If you get over here in Canada around Ottawa you are invited to fly at our field..
no sand though, just trees...
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Hey ror1!

You make a very good point about not losing it. I have set up the Naza and the a7010 to failsafe and RTH. I haven't had a chance to test it yet as the GPS antenna is off because I am having some brownouts in the motors which have already caused a flip crash (yesterday I proceeded with fixing the connectors on the side it was dropping).

You argument for the upgrade is compelling, and eventually I could follow your suggestion. I think for now (given that I just came into the hobby recently) I think I will keep the money for food (still a student)!

On the other hand, you just gave me one more reason to go visit my family in Canada! I see your location is Toronto, my family lives in Cobourg. Do you do a 5 hour commute to go flying?!

Ciao!