HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
Discussion
Read 1st POST! 2013 PSS Fest Zero Build is coming!

************* OK IT'S HERE... read this entire post and then check the links as well as this one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=961 if you're a participant.********************************

Well, it's that time again so I hope all you Power Scale Sloper's out there that intend on attending the biennial Inland Slope Rebels PSS Fest in May '13 will join Howsthewind and me for the next PSS build. Howsthewind and I wanted to try a Zero this time and when we asked TFLG and Carlski about the mold, they mentioned it was time for an upgrade & new mold and generously offered the use of the mold for this next build. As usual I'm sure we'll be getting much more (as documented in the pix) than just a mold for the fuses and this should be a great opportunity for anyone wanting to build their own PSS plane from a kit.

Anyway, here's how this build will work. Howsthewind (Greg) or I (Jim) will start a signup post here in the slope forum on October 20th 2012 (time to be determined and posted here). Once the signup post shows up then you'll need to follow the directions carefully. We're only doing 30-40 kits this time so it'll be first come first served and when we're full we're full. If you start saying you want in here in this thread it's nice to know but remember, the signup post will be the only place to officially signup.

Now for the fun stuff. TFLG invited Greg and I (or maybe we invited ourselves ) up to his shop to document and possibly help with (sanding grunts ) the plug modifications. As usual, we got a lot of great information and witnessed the ease at which the "pro's" do it. Greg and I will try to document as much as we can so many others can start to scratch the surface on what all goes into these planes...not just the kits but the preparation. Appreciation for the effort and skills envolved seems inadequate but see if you don't get a better understanding and appreciation for these builds as I have.

Jim
P.S. See Post #80 for some great history on this updated Zero.

29 January 2013 UPDATE: See post HERE for Build Party/Kit distribution -

25 October UPDATE: See post 448 for kit and payment info

Here are the builders:

Pismo, Howsthewind, TFLG, Carl Maas, Matin, DC812, Joemach1, Bip, Wind Junkie, jcarstan, Hamburglar, Bazr, SrWade, 67econoline, TopazPilot, Nauga, IAMRickJames, Slopeboulder, kenracer759, Kpeevyhouse, Trisme, Schwemmer, Steeg, Tick Point, Slopiron, Heforgot, Haoyang Wang, BXSki, Twinboom, Dick J, Old Fart, codezilla, oletimer, NAVINOD, IDOF3K, Bluffinator, Sandd, Rockbus, Sumthinsfishy, Eddieblodge, ch701 , Chris S, Robh, droydx, Slope P, Scamair, orni-freak, motorhead, FitzBL

P.S. Sorry for all the updates but we're trying to save you guys having to search for stuff in an otherwise chatty thread
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Last edited by Pismo; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Latest Info
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
6,085 Posts
Great! ....this is my kinda build...a Zero Build...where there is no building involved.....
Why not call it an RTF FEST?!
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:49 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Sweet!!!

I can't wait to get mine!
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,641 Posts
I may just join in on this build !!!!!!!
Dick J is online now Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:46 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,517 Posts
The pictures don't really show it, but Brian and Carl had isrdan lay up an old zero and then filed it with pu glue the did some nice work on the wing saddle adding fillets.

Fyi- for you slow builders (we know who we are) the complete kits probably won't be ready until sometime in February. Since most of you slackers don't even start till then we should be fine.

Greg
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Last edited by howsthewind; Sep 30, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:56 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsthewind View Post
Fyi- for you slow builders (we know who we are) the complete kits probably won't be ready until sometime in February. Since most of you slackers don't even start till then we should be fine.
Good. That gives us a few months to fill up this thread with gobbly-gook before the actual build thread opens up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsthewind View Post
The pictures don't really show it, but Brian and call had isrdan lay up an old zero and then filed it with pu glue the did some nice work on the wing saddle adding fillets.

Greg
That doesn't leave me much time for slacking.
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo View Post

Anyway, here's how this build will work. Howsthewind (Greg) or I (Jim) will start a signup post here in the slope forum on September 20th (time to be determined and posted here).

Jim
I know coming back from Manilla and crossing the date line messes with your internal clock, but would you like to clarify that date for me???

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
Done. Thanks Mike.
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:30 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,501 Posts
Whew, I was afraid I had missed it!

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:42 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,725 Posts
WooHoo a Zero!

Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:21 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
That doesn't leave me much time for slacking.
Pretend you have a kit now and that way you can get a head start on slacking! If it helps I will send you a box label and you can slap it on an empty box. A placebo of sorts!
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:35 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG View Post
Pretend you have a kit now and that way you can get a head start on slacking!
I prefer to procrastinate on my slacking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:59 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,228 Posts
OLD skool!

Bluff Cove and my Zero 1987 (3 min 38 sec)
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:13 AM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,325 Posts
I did not get involved with the last build till febuary. That will be plenty of time!!
I just hope I can get on the list!!! The 20.??
The zero is a great idea. Personally I'm STOKED!!!
I can't WAIT!!!
My Cobra is amazing. It's going to be great to have another!!

Thanks Jim and Greg for all of the work you put into this.

Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline