HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
A portable field windsock...

Well, I decided it might be a good idea, so I made one with a HobbyKing windsock ($3/ea) and had a spare. This way, if we fly at a field without one, I can take it along. The unit stands just around 2.5m/8' fully extended.

I made this with some golf poles (for practice chipping) that I had laying around. 3 sections around 2.5 feet long. They assemble like tent poles. On the top pole, I slid off the flag and end cap and put in a 3/8" SS rod 12" long into the 1/2" pole. I used graphite epoxy to secure it, and Cut a 7/16" aluminum Heli tail boom I had laying around that was damaged but I had enough to cut to cover the 3/8" SS rod. I glued this over the hollow rod by using GE as well, and 3/8" heat shrink to center the two. The sock base has 8" of nylon rod from a plastic coat hangar, and this was glued into the hollow sock shaft. I used a small steel washer with a 3/8" hole to act as a stop, and this was also glued onto the sock base. It provides a pivot point when inserted into the top of the modified pole.

Pictures below. Works great, is in four pieces (sock plus 30" poles) when disassembled, and will work in grass, snow, etc.

SkyCadet.
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Oct 01, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:52 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,046 Posts
Kewl idea.

I have a colapisable pole, used by duck hunters to string kite decoys up with and a windsock.

I like your idea. You got a great KISS formula system. Even painted it super cool.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:01 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Thanks Orrin!

The paint scheme was stock for the golf practice poles! All I did was to take the golf flags off (they slid off easily) and then mod one pole as shown. It works really well! I'm trying to remember where I got these golf poles, I think it was at a golf outlet for around $20 for the set of two, if I remember. Most general sporting goods stores usually have something like this too.

Have a great fall season flying!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!