HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,528 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Naza setup using Turnigy 9X w/ER9x firmware via PPM witha a DragonLink system

I wanted to use a DragonLink UHF Receiver with a Naza setup via PPM. Since Naza supports the PPM channel ordering of Futaba and not DragonLink, neither my trusty old JR XP7202 or XP8103 could remap/reconfig the PPM channels. Which stinks because I love that XP7202. So, I had to go with a Turnigy TGY9x transmitter reflashed with the ER9x firmware. Which by the way ended up being incredibly versatile and robust. And, since the setup proved to be somewhat tricky I decided to post it up here...

a) In case someone else was trying to do the same thing.
b) For the selfish reason that I can find it if my black hole of a brain loses it.

1. Setup a new model and call it whatever you want. For this example we'll call it "Penguin". Why, because penguins kick a**.
2. Go into the model setup for the model you just created.
3. Right Scroll to "Templates" page (10/10).
4. Scroll down to "Channel Order" and change it to "AETR".
5. Scroll up to "01 Simple 4-CH" and press the menu button to accept it.
6. Left scroll to "Setup 01" page (2/10).
7. Change Proto PPM to "12CH 300uSec".
8. Change PPM FrLen to 22.5mSec (If it is not already set).
9. Go to the "Mixer" Page (5/10).
10. Channel 1-4 Should be 100% and respectively AIL,ELE,THR,RUD.
11. Scroll down to CH6 and create a new mix. Modify as follows.
- Source = FULL
- Weight = -100 (That is negative one hundred).
- Switch = ELE
12. Exit the mix for CH6 (Exit Button).
13. Scroll down to CH7 and create a new mix. Modify as follows.
- Source = FULL
- Weight = 0
- Switch = ID0
14. Exit the mix for CH7 (Exit Button).
15. Highlight CH7 and press "MENU" once, then the "DN" button to create a new sub-mix. Modify as follows.
- Source = FULL
- Weight = 50
- Switch = ID1
16. Exit the mix for CH7 submix 1 (Exit Button).
17. Highlight CH7 submix 1 and press "MENU" once, then the "DN" button to create a new sub-mix. Modify as follows.
- Source = FULL
- Weight = 100
- Offset = 55
- Switch = ID2
18. Right Scroll to "Safety Switches" page (9/10).
19. Scroll down to CH7 and press the "Menu" button to highlight the selection.
20. Change the values in columns 1 and 2 to the following.
- Column 1 = AIL
- Column 2 = 35
21. Press the "Exit" button twice.
22. Connect your Naza FC to your PC.
23. Connect your flight pack/battery.
24. Open the Naza Assistant to the "Calibration" tab.
25. In the Naza Assistant, press the "Calibrate" button and move the sticks to all of their extents, then press "Done".
26. Change all of the buttons on the right from "REV" to "Norm". Move the control sticks on the transmitter and make certain that all of the control directions move in the correct way. Consult the right pane for a description of which direction they should be moving.
27. On your radio, Right Scroll to "Limits" page (6/10).
28. In the steps 12 - 19 above you set up the "AUX. 3/F.Mode" as your M/A/GPS mode switch and your "AIL. D/R" as your failsafe. You will now have to modify the end points in this page for CH7 to activate your "GPS" and "M" modes when the "AUX. 3/F.Mode" is in its full off and full on positions. Middle position should already be "A" mode.
29. Scroll down to CH7 and press the minus "-" button to highlight the SECOND column.
30. With the "AUX. 3/F.Mode" switch in it's full OFF position, move this value up or down until the "M" mode highlights blue in the NAZA Assistant. Once that mode is set, press the "Exit" button on the transmitter.
31. With the CH7 still highlighted, press the minus "-" button to highlight the THIRD column.
32. Move the "AUX. 3/F.Mode" switch to it's full ON position, move this value up or down until the "GPS" mode highlights blue in the NAZA Assistant. Once that mode is set, press the "Exit" button on the transmitter.
33. Press "Exit" button one more time. You should now be at the main ER9x screen.
34. Disconnect the flight battery from the multirotor/Naza, disconnect the USB cable from the controller as well.

Mode switch for MAN/ATT/GPS is "AUX. 3/F.Mode"
Failsafe switch for is "AIL. D/R"
IOC (only 1 mode, sorry) is "ELE D/R"

That's it. You should be ready to rock. Coincidentally, you have only one, three-position switch on this radio. So taking that into effect, I had you setup the "ELE D/R" switch as the IOC control. If you wish to use IOC, you will have to adjust the end-points of CH6 to either "Home Lock" or "Course Lock". So it's one or the other.

Note: This HowTo was done in ER9x firmware version er9x-r753/V1.5627-erez.

Hope this helps,
HansAuf
HansAuf is online now Find More Posts by HansAuf
Last edited by HansAuf; Oct 02, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Nice, Very helpful and appreciated!!
naturecannon is offline Find More Posts by naturecannon
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,528 Posts
YW. Like I said, hope it helps. Had to edit a step#18, I labeled the page wrong.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Excellent!!

All works for me but aileron. I see aileron moving on the TX screen but in naza assist aileron will not calibration. Tried reverse and normal and no movement via stick.

..4. Scroll down to "Channel Order" and change it to "AETR".

Checked above several times. Will investigate more tomorrow but find this very odd, as I said I see aileron moving as it should on the main modelTX screen. Just not on assist.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:07 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,528 Posts
I had a funky issue with AIL as well. What I did to correct it was to repeat the binding process for the DragonLink RX. Maybe give that a shot?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
255 Posts
U can use two switch to mix into IOC CH 6. So if both switch off = IOC OFF. if one switch on = course lock. If both switch is on = home lock.
emadine is offline Find More Posts by emadine
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:45 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,528 Posts
True, that's an option also. I think I will replace two of the pots with 3 position switches (w/Resistors of course).
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
I had a funky issue with AIL as well. What I did to correct it was to repeat the binding process for the DragonLink RX. Maybe give that a shot?
Several tries rebinding and AIL now works
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:12 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,528 Posts
Sweet. So working 100%?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
An additional adjustment I had to do was.....
Quote:
20. Press the minus "-" button until the selection shows "AIL".
After Selecting "AIL"............ in the next column I had to change from 0 to 37 so when Fail safe switch is activated, fail safe is highlighted blue in all three AUX 3 positions. GPS/A/M
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:10 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,528 Posts
Ah cripes. Good catch. I missed a step. Had it in my notes and totally skipped it here. I'll update it now.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Help, I have the latest release Turnigy 9x from Hobbyking, it is as it comes out of the factory. I have built a multirotor X shape and have the Naza MC. I am using Turnigy 25A ESC's (TY-P1). All the motors arm and calibrate when connected direct to the Rx but fail to arm through Naza. I have copied various configurations posted on the Internet to no avail but I think that as I can select "A" and "M" modes it should arm the motors. Apart from possibly having a faulty Naza which I very much doubt is it possible that my ESC's are incompatable with Naza. Neither Dji nor Hobbyking can tell me. So here I am. If anybody has this 9x/Naza setup I would appreciate a copy of your complete TX configuration.
brinnus is offline Find More Posts by brinnus
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,528 Posts
brinnus, I'd probably suggest creating a new thread for this. This thread is mainly dedicated to using that transmitter modified with a completely different firmware. If you create a new thread, PM me the link, and I'll try to help you out all I can.

Thanks, HansAuf.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emadine View Post
U can use two switch to mix into IOC CH 6. So if both switch off = IOC OFF. if one switch on = course lock. If both switch is on = home lock.
What would the receiver settings be for that?

@ HansAuf: How would I go about settings to use a dial for adjusting gains?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:25 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,528 Posts
Look at the Naza assistant and go to each unused channel in the mixer one at a time. Setting "source" to FULL and the weight to 100. You'll have to experiment with setting the "switch" to SW1, SW2, etc. Then look in the assistant and see if you can get X1/X2 to move with your chosen pot. I'd look for you but after all this, my darn DragonLink RX I used in this is having range/signal issues and I think I'll have to send it to Mike to look at. So, it's not in the quad anymore.