HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
Build Log
Bird of Time scratch build from plans

This is my Bird of Time build from the original plans. I decided to go for a 3 piece wing with spoilers and of course horror of horrors stuck a big prop on the front.
This is by no means my first build but it has been my slowest! For the first time I had the ribs cut by cnc in the States. Thanks to George Voss for this.
Getting the correct dihedral angle using my home made wing joiners was not easy. 1mm difference added one inch to the hihedral angle so ended up filing down the joiners to get the right angle.
The bell crank for the tailplane was made was an old piece of pcb board.
As you can see I was generous in the use of carbon tow. Tailplane, spars,dihedral brace,aluminum wing joiners,fuselage were all strengthened. As an added strength I built in a carbon tube where the centre panels joined with 1/16th ply. Planned to use sullivan snakes but opted for 2mm carbon rod.
AUW 61ozs includes a 2300 nanotech battery at 7.1ozs
stabilator covered is 2.1ozs
wing tips covered 5.4 ozs each
centre section covered 28ozs
ourbluehorizon is offline Find More Posts by ourbluehorizon
Last edited by ourbluehorizon; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: adding text
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:23 PM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
Maiden Flight of Electric Bird of Time

Bird of time maiden flight. (6 min 53 sec)

Stabilator seemed a bit wobbly but plane flew with little or no probs. Strong wind made landing easier. AUW is 61ozs
With the 3548 790 kv and 13x6 prop getting 270 watts at full throttle and only 25amps so i could use a smaller esc! Add to that that i rarely use full throttle but could be useful returning upwind!
Last edited by ourbluehorizon; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: more text
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:41 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,401 Posts
Didn't see your build log on this one but it looks like it flys just like mine. Mine is AUW 47 ounces and has an Eflite .10 motor (abut 375 watts) and balances perfect with that motor and a 2200 3s pushed all the way forward.

Looks nice!

Here is mine:

I have been using it for on board video and I am about to mount an HD camera on it.

I like your taste in colors!
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:39 AM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
Build Log

Hi,
Build log is just pictures, post above video. Does your stabilator wobble?
regards
Bob
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon View Post
Hi,
Build log is just pictures, post above video. Does your stabilator wobble?
regards
Bob
No my stabilator is very rigid because I built one of these back in the 80's and remembered that issue. I used some carbon fiber rods and extended the brass tubes into the stabilator to give the brass tube some length.

I don't know that the wobble is an issue but it bugged me so I made the changes anyway.

Dave
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
I am building one and would like to see pictures of your finished wing joiner system for the outer panels if possible.

Thanks, Lou
Lou_p is offline Find More Posts by Lou_p
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:10 AM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
outer wing joiners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_p View Post
I am building one and would like to see pictures of your finished wing joiner system for the outer panels if possible.

Thanks, Lou
I t was really difficult getting the aluminum stips to epoxy together. They need a really hard sanding.I also ended trimming bits off them to get the dihedral correct. 0.5 error at the joiner made 1 inch at the tip. I've built quite a few planes and chose this as the new method. If i was rebuilding i would go for brass tubes with piano wire. I had a tiny amount of lateral movement in the box and resulted in a wing tip departing in mid air. I had them taped on. The plane landed flat and the joiner boxes were repaired and strengthened with thin fiberglass and epoxy. I'll follow with more pictures of my own.
The other mistake i made was building the outer panels separately. I should have built them on to the center panel then cut them free but i didnt have the space. Happy to answer more questions.
regards
Bob
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Jan 2008
942 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_Kit_.html

LOOKS FAMILIAR
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:18 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
Yup, but the BoT probably predates the Sunbird by a few decades, not to mention that it's just about twice the span. Looks good though!

Anyway, as an aside, I've been re-furbing my partners, kit-built, BoT over the Xmas break, and it's been re-maidedned successfully last weekend.

Bob, your BoT looks great, although I'd question your use of a micro-servo for the all-flying tail. I used a couple of Savox metal-geared digitals for both elevator and rudder.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:46 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim hooper View Post
Yup, but the BoT probably predates the Sunbird by a few decades, not to mention that it's just about twice the span. Looks good though!

Anyway, as an aside, I've been re-furbing my partners, kit-built, BoT over the Xmas break, and it's been re-maidedned successfully last weekend.

Bob, your BoT looks great, although I'd question your use of a micro-servo for the all-flying tail. I used a couple of Savox metal-geared digitals for both elevator and rudder.

tim
Tim,

I usd a 9 gram HXT 900 servo and no troubles at all.

Dave
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:47 AM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
Wing cam video from Bird of Time

Finally sorted out the editing of the 808 #16 wide angle HD cam. Cant understand why the plane did some stunts. Changed back from 40amp plush to 60amp esc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5xZM...f6HXSw&index=2
Last edited by ourbluehorizon; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: reinsert link
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
No my stabilator is very rigid because I built one of these back in the 80's and remembered that issue. I used some carbon fiber rods and extended the brass tubes into the stabilator to give the brass tube some length.

I don't know that the wobble is an issue but it bugged me so I made the changes anyway.

Dave
Just framed the stabilators and was wondering how far you extended the brass. I was thinking the 3rd rib for the pivot.

Lou
Lou_p is offline Find More Posts by Lou_p
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:17 AM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim hooper View Post

tim
Hi Tim, Right about that micro servo. It was parkzone digital but it gave up the ghost. Fortunately it gave up during a pre flight check and not a peep from it with the servo tester. I had been wondering on strange behaviour in flight. I replaced
both of them with corona mini digital metal gear. Both, because there is not much room in the fus. I'm now working on a 3 meter Guppy.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:25 AM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_p View Post
Just framed the stabilators and was wondering how far you extended the brass. I was thinking the 3rd rib for the pivot.

Lou
I stiffened up the rib with carbon fiber tow. The tube for the stabilator in mine only goes to the first rib. I think i bound the brass tube to the spar with dental floss then epoxy.
The wobble in the stabilator comes about because the square tube coming up from the bell crank does not fit neatly enough within the fin. It seems ok in flight. To fix it i wold need to cut open the fin and thicken up the sheeting inside.
Good luck with the build Lou.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:42 PM
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
236 Posts
The whole tail feather assembly is rockin' and rollin' in that video. Unbelievable. Is this a common occurrence? Definitely needs some firming up back there.
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy