SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
You Enjoy Myself
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Thanks, brontide and lg!

Quote:
The major downside to 5.8GHz video is that you really need to maintain direct line of sight or you start to get video drop-outs, even at quite short distances.
But isn't that one of the points to FPV, that you don't have to maintain line of site?

I glanced at some videos in the link brontide gave, and I thought it mentioned the 5.8 GHz FPV setup had a range of up to about 5 miles. But you're saying one needs to maintain a direct line of site?
cwg25 is offline Find More Posts by cwg25
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Oct 2012
65 Posts
Ok got the tri-copter coming from BlueSky any day now
Got the 808 16 v2 Key Fob camera in Yesterday
Will be wanting to be flying this bird soon, what else do I need to get? if possible I don’t want to have to do any soldering, flashing, or anything technical.
I will also need to know what types of cables / plugs / and wires I’ll need. Sorry for asking so much. Can someone take a look below and tell me if I'm the right track?
Thanks!!

ESC: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...0&productname=
How Many?

Flight Controller: Multiwii? Something else? I want to hook my little key fob, 808 #16v2 camera to this Tri-copter. Does it plug right into the Board?
Also, Someday I may want to be able to control this by watching through the camera.. can this be done on this board or do I need a different one or an add on?

Battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...636&aff=114030

Power Distribution? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...140&aff=114030
Do I need this or is there other options?

Charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Charger.html

Radio w Module and Receiver: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

What about Servos? What should I look for? As there are like a bajillion different ones.
Micro,
sub micro,
mini,
jumbo,
Ultra thin,
Ex. Large
with pepperoni,
with meatball,
Diet,
Home Style,
Cajun...lol

I am open for suggestions of some as I have no clue about these.
zacker is offline Find More Posts by zacker
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
To Zacker:

You will need one ESC for each motor, so 3 in total for a tricopter. I'm afraid that there's no way out of doing soldering and you will have to do a little bit to put some connectors on the ESCs and motors. Don't worry, it's really big, easy to do soldering.

The flight controller isn't anything to do with FPV, it's just there to provide the correct mixing to the motors/servo to keep the copter level. For FPV you will need a video transmitter and receiver set. For the flight controller I would recommend a basic controller from HobbyKing.

Battery: you can't go wrong with that one.

Power distribution: not necessary, but makes life easier and saves you some soldering.

Charger: That one will do the job

Radio: Best value radio you can get!
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg25 View Post
Thanks, brontide and lg!

But isn't that one of the points to FPV, that you don't have to maintain line of site?

I glanced at some videos in the link brontide gave, and I thought it mentioned the 5.8 GHz FPV setup had a range of up to about 5 miles. But you're saying one needs to maintain a direct line of site?
The higher the frequency the less penetration the signals have. So what is between you and the RC matters and that becomes more important as the frequency increases. A powerful 5.8Ghz system that can do 5 miles in high(er) altitude flight may only be able to get several hundred meters into a dense forrest with a nimble quad.

That said starting out you should maintain LOS for a number of flights until you are truly comfortable with the range and signal quality that you are getting.

( note, noob attempting to get into FPV myself, so this is based on reading and my knowledge of radio signal propagation )
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
The higher the frequency the less penetration the signals have. So what is between you and the RC matters and that becomes more important as the frequency increases. A powerful 5.8Ghz system that can do 5 miles in high(er) altitude flight may only be able to get several hundred meters into a dense forrest with a nimble quad.

That said starting out you should maintain LOS for a number of flights until you are truly comfortable with the range and signal quality that you are getting.

( note, noob attempting to get into FPV myself, so this is based on reading and my knowledge of radio signal propagation )
Good luck getting several hundred yards into a dense forest on 5.8GHz! Maybe with a really really high gain helical antenna pointing directly at the copter and a skew planar on the video tx, but even then that would be tricky.

5.8GHz isn't bad, the record is over 20Km using only a 200mW video transmitter. The thing with quads is that they are great for flying in and around objects, and of all the frequencies we use for FPV, 5.8GHz is the worst for this.

I use 5.8GHz (200mW) on one of my copters, with a pair of circularly polarized antennas and it's good for over 500m, but I have video drop-outs as close as 60m if I fly behind something.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I just wrote a new article about the AQ50D flight controller. This is the ultimate noob board, but the price might put people off.

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr/
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:06 PM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
OK i think I am on the final phase of getting my quad in the air (above 2 feet).
have done all the pre setup and double checked and prop orientation was wrong.
I have now corrected this and the motor directions.
I now have the ability to get a little further of the ground BUT
when I leave the ground the quad starts to spin to the right.
I am using the Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1.
and I have tried to adjust the trim to counteract the spin but its all the way across.

I am now thinking that the motors need to be slightly tilted to counter the spin.

can you advise me if this is the correct procedure or is there something else I should try?

Ritchie
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Oct 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
To Zacker:

You will need one ESC for each motor, so 3 in total for a tricopter. I'm afraid that there's no way out of doing soldering and you will have to do a little bit to put some connectors on the ESCs and motors. Don't worry, it's really big, easy to do soldering.

The flight controller isn't anything to do with FPV, it's just there to provide the correct mixing to the motors/servo to keep the copter level. For FPV you will need a video transmitter and receiver set. For the flight controller I would recommend a basic controller from HobbyKing.
cool... i dont mind soldering big stuff, its soldering stuff onto boards and little stuff that kills me every time. lol

So, what is a multiwii board for? i thought it was a flight controller / vid transmitter / rec. all in one. but I dont need FPV yet, thats gonna be later on. so the controller on your blog should do for me?
zacker is offline Find More Posts by zacker
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacker View Post
cool... i dont mind soldering big stuff, its soldering stuff onto boards and little stuff that kills me every time. lol

So, what is a multiwii board for? i thought it was a flight controller / vid transmitter / rec. all in one. but I dont need FPV yet, thats gonna be later on. so the controller on your blog should do for me?
Hi Zacker, I am a newbie on quads myself but I do have electronics experience.
I looked at the multiwii and it is a controller with GPS for positioning, this means you should be able to set your position with your transmitter and switch across to hold and its position is then governed by GPS. all the normal features should still be there for controlling your flight.

Ritchie
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:20 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchie_laird View Post
OK i think I am on the final phase of getting my quad in the air (above 2 feet).
have done all the pre setup and double checked and prop orientation was wrong.
I have now corrected this and the motor directions.
I now have the ability to get a little further of the ground BUT
when I leave the ground the quad starts to spin to the right.
I am using the Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1.
and I have tried to adjust the trim to counteract the spin but its all the way across.

I am now thinking that the motors need to be slightly tilted to counter the spin.

can you advise me if this is the correct procedure or is there something else I should try?

Ritchie
If you have yaw problems that you can't fix with trim then you will need to tilt the motors to correct it. With the props spinning it's usually easy to see which motor isn't spinning in the same plane as the others. If they're just slightly out it can cause quite big yaw control problems.

I haven't yet found a good way to make sure all the motors are lined up correctly before flying. There was a thread about it a couple of weeks ago, but I can't find it now. I turn my copter upside down on a flat table, which makes it easier to see if they're lined up, but I'm sure that there must be a better way.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
If you have yaw problems that you can't fix with trim then you will need to tilt the motors to correct it. With the props spinning it's usually easy to see which motor isn't spinning in the same plane as the others. If they're just slightly out it can cause quite big yaw control problems.

I haven't yet found a good way to make sure all the motors are lined up correctly before flying. There was a thread about it a couple of weeks ago, but I can't find it now. I turn my copter upside down on a flat table, which makes it easier to see if they're lined up, but I'm sure that there must be a better way.
I actually first thought that I had lined them up well using a spirit level. so used the locking screws to hold them in place. but thats not fool proof either.
should I give the Yaw trim an adjustment to see if that lessens the problem first. at the moment its on 50% as per the manual suggestion?
Last edited by ritchie_laird; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Very noob question... but here we go...what's the name of the cable (or connector) that goes from every channel of my 2.4 GHz rx (I've got a Hobbyking 6ch rx) to the servos or my quad control board HK V3.0?
rubenskubc is offline Find More Posts by rubenskubc
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
what you need is something like this.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

I just had to get some myself so it was fresh in the brain.
hope it helps.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Nailed it!!! Thanks!
rubenskubc is offline Find More Posts by rubenskubc
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts