SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:41 PM
shredding the skies
Wet Coast Canada
Joined May 2005
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7118 View Post
I'm new and going to start to build my 450 size quad and the frame isn't one of those DJI Power Distribution Frames.

I'm also going to install a WK-M Autopilot system.

Anyone have pics of their build! ( 450 )

Thanks
Here is a great idea called the Power Spider
power spider (13 min 59 sec)
boardman is offline Find More Posts by boardman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:13 PM
United Kingdom, Belper
Joined Jan 2011
565 Posts
What happens if I mount my kk2 not quite center on my quad? Say 1cm towards the rear but center on the horizonal? I need to fit my camera under the dome so may have to move the fc back a tiny bit. Will this cock anything up ?
edk83 is offline Find More Posts by edk83
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:18 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
No, not at all. The FC need not be centered at all. Pointing straight and mostly level are far more important.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:26 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Set-up Problem: KK2/V8FR-II, FrSKY Rx

S.O.S.

My Quad is ready for me to take it out and do a 10g landing, but I am stuck and would very much appreciate some help.

1. KK2 to Rx, can't figure out how to connect servo connectors and I have searched high and low.When I connect the KK2 to Rx with the first servo conn., I get a red flashing light in the LED on the Rx. When I connect the next servo conn. to the Rx, my KK2 shuts down and goes blank. That can't be good so I unplugged the battery....luckily no smoke.

Can anyone recommend any ideas on the set?

-KK2 1.5 firmware loaded
-ESC preflashed

2. Have a Turnigy 9XR and need a good resource on all the controllers functions.

Thanks in advance for any help and to the gentleman that shows the patience of Job and dedication to a great sport.

Thanks,
Fastmetal
Fastmetal is offline Find More Posts by Fastmetal
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:22 AM
United States, CA, San Carlos
Joined Oct 2009
5 Posts
Starting upper left on your KK-2 Board
1 Aileron
2 Elevator
3 Throttle
4 Rudder
5 Aux.
Match this to your Rx and your good to go.......
The black or negative wire goes to the outside of the board.
russers is offline Find More Posts by russers
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:20 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmetal View Post
S.O.S.

1. KK2 to Rx, can't figure out how to connect servo connectors and I have searched high and low.When I connect the KK2 to Rx with the first servo conn., I get a red flashing light in the LED on the Rx. When I connect the next servo conn. to the Rx, my KK2 shuts down and goes blank. That can't be good so I unplugged the battery....luckily no smoke.
Whoa!!! Look at the side of the Rx unit. You should see -, +, and ^ meaning negative, positive, and signal respectively. On the kk2 each row is negative, positive, and signal respectively from the outside and top down should attach to your Rx in sequence with top being channel 1, ....

If you are doing this correctly the Rx should stay on. If you are doing all this correctly and the light still goes out then you may have a short somewhere.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:45 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
Prop Spacing

What effect does prop spacing have?

Building my own frame, what distance between props should I maintain?

Is 1/4" enough spacing from tip to tip?
EZGoin is offline Find More Posts by EZGoin
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:02 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
There is no standard for tip to tip distance. I have built quads with 1/2 blade width all the way down to 1" overlap ( motors in different height positions ). All depends on the needs of the quad. Going too small might be a stability problem in two cases, if your ESCs are not fast enough to respond or if you end up creating more wake than needed.

For simplicity reasons a small distance of separation is probably a best idea.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
Wire Ties

I have built a quad with 1/2" poplar and drilled two holes for mounting the motor with screws. I am guessing that it wouldn't take much of an impact to torque the motor and split the wood. I would think wire ties would be better because they would just break, but I am afraid that they might break mid-air under stress.

I'd like to get some experienced input on this before I go and destroy my quad!
EZGoin is offline Find More Posts by EZGoin
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGoin View Post
I have built a quad with 1/2" poplar and drilled two holes for mounting the motor with screws. I am guessing that it wouldn't take much of an impact to torque the motor and split the wood. I would think wire ties would be better because they would just break, but I am afraid that they might break mid-air under stress.

I'd like to get some experienced input on this before I go and destroy my quad!
If you just drilled 3mm holes then no worries. The motor can't stress the arm enough to damage it at the mount during flight. Damage will come from crash impact and it usually damages the arm where it mounts to the frame. You would much rather it split the wood during a crash then mess up your motor. That is the good thing about a wood arm that small.
livinlife is offline Find More Posts by livinlife
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,508 Posts
My contention is to not violate a wood boom if possible. Wood is an awesome material for a first time scratch build. It's dirt cheap, so a beginner will/should have less concern when he crashes. And you WILL crash.

Below is my first quad and it flies well. As a matter of fact, I just shot some video this morning since the weather was close to perfect.

And I agree with nylon ties, They are forgiving in a crash, they will stretch or break before the motor mount, and possibly before bending a shaft. I also designed my main frame to pinch the the boom instead of drilling through. I also kept as much mass as possible close to the center to allow for quicker axial movement.

Cyberdactyl is online now Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I like the two-tone wood effect. I haven't built a wooden frame/arm quad yet, but I might head down to my local DIY shop and see what they have and maybe experiment with a few ideas.

I'm stuck in the doldrums at the moment with working away from home and I only have my little Hubsan X4 to play with. I can't wait to get home and start building again. I've got a mountain of stuff waiting for me that I've purchased over the last couple of months and loads of building and testing to do.

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.co.uk/
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:20 AM
United Kingdom, Belper
Joined Jan 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
No, not at all. The FC need not be centered at all. Pointing straight and mostly level are far more important.
Thats lucky, it fits with about 2mm clearence!

Next thing I need to do is remove the two pins for the voltage buzzer on my kk2. Can I just desolder and pull these out? I will then solder the wires of the buzzer to the bottom of the board. The issue is that my camera hits these pins when I unscrew it from the mount.

Also does it matter which way the buzzer is connected to the pins?
edk83 is offline Find More Posts by edk83
Last edited by edk83; Feb 13, 2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:54 AM
If it flies then it will crash
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Hi,
this is my first build.
will this motor work for a quad with AUW of 1kg ?? i can see it provides required amount of thrust. is it a good option to take ??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354
Shehwar is offline Find More Posts by Shehwar
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:11 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,508 Posts
I would say this is a tad under powered for a quad passing two pounds.
Cyberdactyl is online now Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl