SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
That RTF frame you linked to seems similar in concept to my TBS Discovery. (I'm awaiting the Hero 3.) Other than that I can't say how well made it is.

I bought Sunnysky V2216 800kv motors for additional power and because some said they were pretty good. They seem quite smooth. I'm awaiting some 9" Graupner E-Flite props and some 8040 GWS triples to use with 4S batteries. The cheap DJI props I have tried are not smooth enough no matter how hard I try to balance them but the 8 inch ones using a 4S are better than the 10 inch ones on 3S. The 10 inch Gemfams I have (also pretty cheap) are stiffer but were no better on my videos. I have a NAZA and GPS on the Discovery. I also have a KK2 board on my "old" F450 but without altitude hold I think it would be hard for me to fly it smoothly enough for video or AP work. But it is fun to fly. I have the Fatshark Predator V2 FPV system and a separate 7 inch video monitor plus the HK OSD for battery monitoring during FPV.

I have tried various dampening materials gels between my small p&s camera and the Discovery but none has eliminated the jello enough so I'm hoping the new props will. I don't know if a GoPro will be more or less prone to jello than the camera I'm using. I will also consider some vibration isolation platforms should I not be able to solve the jello issue any other way. I used a vibration monitoring program on my smart phone to make sure my motors were not the cause. I spent most of the past week in this trial and error phase of eliminating vibration and feel I can't do more without better props.

I ordered my GoPro from B&H (out of stock) rather than getting one from BestBuy because B&H sells a 2 year damage warranty that seemed worthwhile to me. Plus it is only now that I feel ready to start trying to shoot videos. (I had a lot else to learn first.)

Good luck to you but I'm not that far ahead of you although I'm pretty comfortable with LOS and FPV flying now.

Here is a link to some of my work: (None is aerial... yet.)

http://alangoldstein.photoshelter.com/
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:21 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Very nice photos there Alan! I wish I could take images like that. I've just been out shopping for a new camera today, but came away undecided and more confused than before I went. There are so many great camera bargains at the moment and I'm struggling to decide what to get.

I want something small and light that can be lifted easily on my copter, but at the same time I want some more advanced features for normal ground based photography.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
@Lovegroove. There the Nikon Compact range and also the Canon Ixus range that are nice cameras, Alan may be able to help with the wieght issue with his researched advice. Not sure if any in either range offer the recording of the image in RAW, 100% of the image data and Nikon tend to favor TIFF over JPG TIFF being around 60% and JPG being around 40% of the image data. I use a Canon 5D mk2 for ground Photospheres and HDR so full frame and RAW are essential.
@Alan. Great shots and very grand locations. Nikon or Canon user? Odd how theres a devide don't you think? Having said that you may not get that in your country but in the UK its very noticable in the users, but I don't have a problem talking to strangers about photography.

Quite the collection of quads, this would be my first, Do they not do an altimeter addon for the KK2 board? More research for me I think. Theirs a old turbine test site in the UK, that I would love to video with a quad, its called Pyestock, its where the harrier and other turbines were tested to mac2. Abandoned now, theres some stills in the urbex gallery of my website, But a really interesting place to photograph.

I look forward to seeing the result of the Hero3 investment and if you manage to solve the vibration issue. I'm tempted to ask about prop balancing and prop collet balancing but I'm sure thats your first solution.
rokit5 is offline Find More Posts by rokit5
Last edited by rokit5; Dec 15, 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
my name says it all

Ok so I have this quad I built. I have done everything I can to get this thing up in the air. But it seems to want to go where it wants. I set trim and it wants to go all out in that trim direction.. I set it back and its again going the unwanted direction. I set it for forward by one click or two and its off to the races. I set it back to 0 and its running away in reverse. I have all the yaw pitch and everything else blues! I am running a kk2 in it. Everything this site says to do and every where else says to do I have done. I am about this close (holds up fingers) to tossing it into the mail to the first person that wants to buy it... if any one wants to help with advise please feel free. If you need the P and I and YAW numbers ask and I will get them to you when I get home from work.
kk2 (rev 1.2 firmware)
plush 35a ESC (program card used to program)(factory firmware)
turnigy propdrive 28-26 1200kv
futuba t6j tr/rx
talon v2 frame
several 3s batteries at 11v (not used all at once...just hanging around for use)

Oh yeah...it is crazy with or with out stab on.
elj11232 at aol I am sure you know what to do o.0
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
Ok so I have this quad I built. I have done everything I can to get this thing up in the air. But it seems to want to go where it wants. I set trim and it wants to go all out in that trim direction.. I set it back and its again going the unwanted direction. I set it for forward by one click or two and its off to the races. I set it back to 0 and its running away in reverse. I have all the yaw pitch and everything else blues! I am running a kk2 in it. Everything this site says to do and every where else says to do I have done. I am about this close (holds up fingers) to tossing it into the mail to the first person that wants to buy it... if any one wants to help with advise please feel free. If you need the P and I and YAW numbers ask and I will get them to you when I get home from work.
kk2 (rev 1.2 firmware)
plush 35a ESC (program card used to program)(factory firmware)
turnigy propdrive 28-26 1200kv
futuba t6j tr/rx
talon v2 frame
several 3s batteries at 11v (not used all at once...just hanging around for use)

Oh yeah...it is crazy with or with out stab on.
elj11232 at aol I am sure you know what to do o.0

Update to version 1.5 firmware on the KK2. It made a huge difference in making mine flyable. If that does not improve it enough try setting your stick scaling to much lower numbers like around 30 or 40. That should tame its reactions down.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:30 PM
i do all my own crashes
United States, FL, Apopka
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
you can ry this too..Set the gains and limits to the following values:
Roll/Pitch P-gain: 30 (For a small 25cm size set to 20)
Roll/Pitch P-limit: 100
Roll/Pitch I-gain: 0
Roll/Pitch I-limit: 20
Yaw P-gain: 50
Yaw P-limit: 20
Yaw I-gain: 0
Yaw I-limit: 10
Now, Increase Roll/Pitch P-gain by 10 (5 or less for a small aircraft) at a time, and test your aircraft
response by hovering and move the left stick in short and fast movements. as this helped me..
skeetter is offline Find More Posts by skeetter
Last edited by skeetter; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:39 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
I planning on building a h copter, using a naza as an fc and on 4s! I wanna lift a gopro and some fpv setup, suggestions on props and motors? The Framesize I'm aming for is about the same as dji f450!
Hajen is offline Find More Posts by Hajen
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:41 AM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Mar 2012
207 Posts
I just built an H-quad about the same size. I used DT-700s, 30 amp Plush ESCs, 11x4.7 Gemfan props, and NAZA with GPS. I'm running it on 3s and it has no trouble with a Gopro and basic FPV gear. I've read that many people run these motors on 4s very successfully. I'd like to give it a shot for comparison. I replaced the shafts on the motors with non-threaded shafts and collet-type prop adapters. It was surprisingly easy to do and well worth it. After pressing the shafts out of the bell using my drill press, I put the bells on my prop balancer and balanced the bells. My prop balancer happens to have a 4mm shaft so the bells fit right on.
Calla969 is offline Find More Posts by Calla969
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:03 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
These new motors from RCTimer look very promising. I would try them with 10" props which should give amazing amounts of power. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...9&productname=

A cheaper option that I have no hesitation in recommending are these: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...3&productname=

They should be good running 9" props on 4s. I have loads of them and have used them on many different builds. The only slight issue with them is quite a weak shaft that can sometimes break in a crash. Luckily they sell spare shafts and they're easy to change. Make sure to get some prop adapters to go with them: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...5&productname=
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:21 AM
milwaukee wi usa
Joined Nov 2000
202 Posts
hello gang......i need your input please.
im about to pop for a quad. ive been into rc since the 90's and now wish to tinker with a nice multirotor. eventually, (when i am comfortable configuring/ flying it), i would like to set it up for fpv. after a week of lurking it seems like the dji f450 is a common, well known quad...not to mention parts are readily available. specifically:
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...idcategory=872
what do you think??? is this the way to go??? ive never dealt with atlanta hobby, this seems like a decent price.
thanks much
rbt in milwaukee
current fleet:
2 fpv skywalkers (w/dragon link)
fpv penguin (w/dragon link)
blade heli
a vintage kalt electric heli
and....
about a dozen park flyers and jets
rbtgold is offline Find More Posts by rbtgold
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:33 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtgold View Post
hello gang......i need your input please.
im about to pop for a quad. ive been into rc since the 90's and now wish to tinker with a nice multirotor. eventually, (when i am comfortable configuring/ flying it), i would like to set it up for fpv. after a week of lurking it seems like the dji f450 is a common, well known quad...not to mention parts are readily available. specifically:
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...idcategory=872
what do you think??? is this the way to go??? ive never dealt with atlanta hobby, this seems like a decent price.
thanks much
rbt in milwaukee
current fleet:
2 fpv skywalkers (w/dragon link)
fpv penguin (w/dragon link)
blade heli
a vintage kalt electric heli
and....
about a dozen park flyers and jets
It seems a little bit expensive to me, but it's a nice kit and it's always good to support a more local hobby store, especially if you end up needing any after sales support.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:52 AM
milwaukee wi usa
Joined Nov 2000
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
It seems a little bit expensive to me, but it's a nice kit and it's always good to support a more local hobby store, especially if you end up needing any after sales support.
hi LG, thanks for responding.
one quick question. i plan on installing my dragon link....does the naza play nicely with a DL???
thank you!
rbt
rbtgold is offline Find More Posts by rbtgold
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
As far as I am aware, you shouldn't have any problems using the DL with the Naza. I think that the Naza will now support PPM sum input, so you should be able to do a nice clean install with not too many cables.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:46 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I have seen reported issues with UHF and Naza... do your research. I think the problem was Naza producing UHF noise but I am not sure at all since I don't have any plans to use the system.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
How to connect 4 ESC'S to one battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
To Zacker:

You will need one ESC for each motor, so 3 in total for a tricopter. I'm afraid that there's no way out of doing soldering and you will have to do a little bit to put some connectors on the ESCs and motors. Don't worry, it's really big, easy to do soldering.

The flight controller isn't anything to do with FPV, it's just there to provide the correct mixing to the motors/servo to keep the copter level. For FPV you will need a video transmitter and receiver set. For the flight controller I would recommend a basic controller from HobbyKing.

Battery: you can't go wrong with that one.

Power distribution: not necessary, but makes life easier and saves you some soldering.

Charger: That one will do the job

Radio: Best value radio you can get!
I'm new and going to start to build my 450 size quad and the frame isn't one of those DJI Power Distribution Frames.

I'm also going to install a WK-M Autopilot system.

Anyone have pics of their build! ( 450 )

Thanks
Lenny7118 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny7118