HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:32 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
391 Posts
Another question; I have the Q450 with 28-30 motors and 10-4/5 props. I have been flying it with a 30c 2200mah battery. I am getting about 7-8minutes of flight time. Most of that has been in hover. It seems a bit short to me. Does that sound normal? Will higher "C" rated batteries give me longer time in the air?
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:38 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
2.2aH * 30C = 66amps ( theoretical ), unless you are pushing the battery getting a higher rated pack will not help.

Increasing battery capacity works, but because that also increases weight it has serious diminishing returns. Have you plugged the numbers into ecalc to see how all the variables will interact?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:41 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
391 Posts
Flight time

I' m green, where do I find ecalc?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:16 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
It's a little daunting at first, but read the help page, plug in your parts, and start swapping.

http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:59 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7AC View Post
Another question; I have the Q450 with 28-30 motors and 10-4/5 props. I have been flying it with a 30c 2200mah battery. I am getting about 7-8minutes of flight time. Most of that has been in hover. It seems a bit short to me. Does that sound normal? Will higher "C" rated batteries give me longer time in the air?
No higher c rating will not give you longer flight times. It will make your quad perform better by allowing you discharge your battery faster. The higher the c rating the higher the discharge. . What you want is more mah. For example. I use a 5000mah 3cell 30c Turnigy fits in the middle of my DJI Flamewheel 450 and I get easily 15-18 minutes. I aslo have 2830's 1000kv on 10x4.5 props. Same exact setup.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:33 AM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
391 Posts
Thank You!

Brontide, Fidy, Thanks. Looks like I'll have to order some bigger lipos. I think I'd have to add landing gear to carry a 5000mah battery on the Q450.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:24 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7AC View Post
Brontide, Fidy, Thanks. Looks like I'll have to order some bigger lipos. I think I'd have to add landing gear to carry a 5000mah battery on the Q450.
I have my 3cell 5000 running right through the middle. Carefull which 3cell you get some are wider than others. Make sure you measure before you buy.

The battery in the pictures is a 5000 35c 2cell battery. If you stick a 3cell 5000 30c it's like a ROCKET SHIP!
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
391 Posts
Budget Copter

I built Lovegroove's "Budget Copter; the Hobby King Q450 with RC Timer 28-30 motors and 30amp esc's. It has the Hobby King KK2 v2 board. I've added a Hobby King 900mhz vtx and an "el cheapo" security camera from Fry's. Here is a quick video both of and from the quad. youtube.com/watch?v=HvwLjLNlH1Q&feature=plcp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
65 Posts
flight controller choices

<--- another noob here.
I've been reading and lurking in the forums for weeks now.
I have very little rc experience besides on a walkera ladybird and a flight simulator.

Almost bought a dji f550 hexa with naza and gps, but havent yet.
Ultimately, I want a stable hobbyist AP rig with gps and ability to program waypoints into.
Recently, I'm reading about multiwii controllers and I'd like to know basic differences (price, stability, control, ease of use, etc) between multiwii and wookong-m or other high-end flight controllers with waypoint navigation.

Thanks for this thread. It's very helpful!
mjf185 is offline Find More Posts by mjf185
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:32 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,382 Posts
Hi, I have two boards, the HK V2.1 and the HK V3.0. I have the V2.1 flashed as a X-config quad. I'm well aware of the muted M4 channel and have flashed and using pug's KK47x1540M168 hex. I know I have to trim it to get it to fly correctly, but am not sure how to do so. I also realize trimming will be different depending on the Tx. I have a Spektrum DX8.

Anyone know of a video or detailed instruction or procedure on how to do this?
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Whoopsy, I think I posted in the wrong place.
I've been looking at buying a Quadcopter for a while and would like the forums views at what I've been looking at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789052
I already have the radio, Spektrum DX6i and the lipo packs 3s 5000mAh.
rokit5 is offline Find More Posts by rokit5
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokit5 View Post
Whoopsy, I think I posted in the wrong place.
I've been looking at buying a Quadcopter for a while and would like the forums views at what I've been looking at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789052
I already have the radio, Spektrum DX6i and the lipo packs 3s 5000mAh.
I am pretty new but... you said in that other post that you ultimately want to lift a Canon G12 and if you plan to use that on some kind of landing gear/camera mount I think you will be too heavy. That camera with a battery is 400 grams.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Hey Alan,
The other option is the Hero3 HD cam and then just split the video into frames.
If you look at the frame on the initial ebay link it has a gimble mounted at the front, yes, designed for a Hero3.
The camera is just an idea as i use a 5d mk2 for photospheric projections but i'm not brand loyal so if there are other brands that make a lighter still camera then please enlighten me, having said that I understand there are wieght limits.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Of course what we all have to do is balance what the machine will carry with our photographic needs and required flight time. This is still an early process of learning for me. I am hoping that a GoPro attached to a TBS DIscovery will be a good start along the process with the idea of adding a larger platform and gimbal later. At most I plan to also shoot still and video with a Nex and 16-50 so there are quite a few possible solutions. I am leaning towards the AG600 gimbal and their "Shrimp" Y6 platform once I am more accomplished. (TPPack.com) It seems from all I can tell that this will work well for me... but I am just a beginner and no expert.

Lots of people seem happy with different solutions. I was simply making the observation that my experience has already qualified me to say... that the G12 was kind of heavy for the platform you were considering. Any more will require research on your part and the opinions of those more qualified than me.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Dec 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Thanks Alan. I was also looking at the HD Hero3 and for stills simply splitting the video into frames. The Flight frame I was initialy looking at is designed with the Hero3 in mind with the option of using the gimble or removing it and adding a simple tilt fixing. my initial idea i to add a payload of the cameras wieght so when the camera is finally added the feel of the machine will be the same. The frame arms and prps are cheap and easy to replace while learning.

Shame I've been looking at the G12 and needed an excuse to buy one, but the Hero3 has wifi, not sure of the range, but I think that will be handy with use with a netbook to record and also it comes with a range of useful accessories.
Adding a camera is a long way off but its interesting to hear of other cameras that people favor and also flight frames to carry the wieght. Did you take a look at the frame I'm considering? What setup do you have?

I just had a look at your site, it was blank in firefox and chrome, didn't try in IE.
Mine is: www.dynamicphotographic.co.uk
Last edited by rokit5; Dec 15, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: update.