HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:51 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Foam does protect it I guess but I know that if you mount the Naza on top of foam it will never fly right. The FC needs to "feel" what the multi is doing and if the foam gives/compresses as you fly it can't feel it. Vibrations are an issue for some FCs but you need to balance the spinning parts, not just hide the FC in foam. The Parma servo tape I referred to is almost gel like so it will take care of some vibes but it will also hold the FC to the frame. I'm not as familiar with your FC but I would be willing to bet you will get better results if it were more rigidly mounted. Honestly though, I'd bet a shiny nickel that while the FC may look level on the foam, it's not perfect and it needs to be.

Leave the surrounding foam on there if it doesn't touch if you are worried about crashes but in my experience anything shorter than the end of the motor shaft is safe. Flip your quad over and it should rest on the motors. There are spectacular crashes and branches etc but if you're worried about that you should mount the FC on the bottom plate like most 450 owners do. Then it's protected between the two plates with the extra weight.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:08 PM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
setting the Horizontal can be tricky, I first made this stand up to fit on the FC, used a piece out of a spirit level and checked on a known horizontal surface. check the level of the blades first, then mount the FC using this stand and level. this ensures that we have the FC lined up with the motors.
then use the level so the bubble is centre and calibrate the horizontal sensors.

Attachment 5300456
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Last edited by ritchie_laird; Feb 26, 2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:51 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Well nothing else has worked so I might as well try removing the foam container. I'll mount the FC on two sided servo tape. I dont think it's parma but it's servo tape and very sticky will be a night mare if I have to pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Foam does protect it I guess but I know that if you mount the Naza on top of foam it will never fly right. The FC needs to "feel" what the multi is doing and if the foam gives/compresses as you fly it can't feel it. Vibrations are an issue for some FCs but you need to balance the spinning parts, not just hide the FC in foam. The Parma servo tape I referred to is almost gel like so it will take care of some vibes but it will also hold the FC to the frame. I'm not as familiar with your FC but I would be willing to bet you will get better results if it were more rigidly mounted. Honestly though, I'd bet a shiny nickel that while the FC may look level on the foam, it's not perfect and it needs to be.

Leave the surrounding foam on there if it doesn't touch if you are worried about crashes but in my experience anything shorter than the end of the motor shaft is safe. Flip your quad over and it should rest on the motors. There are spectacular crashes and branches etc but if you're worried about that you should mount the FC on the bottom plate like most 450 owners do. Then it's protected between the two plates with the extra weight.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:25 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
Well nothing else has worked so I might as well try removing the foam container. I'll mount the FC on two sided servo tape. I dont think it's parma but it's servo tape and very sticky will be a night mare if I have to pull it off.
The Naza comes with a hard plastic case so it's no worry, your FC might be different so I would take some caution. You don't want to pull off a sensor when you remove the tape. I don't know what is on the underside of your FC.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:35 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
1.2 self level was very "sloppy" at times, but 1.4 and higher should be snappy. What you are describing sounds more like manual/rate mode.

Make sure you have self-level enabled via aux or are enabling it via sticks.
Reflash, some have noted similar issues and were resolved with a reflash. Note you will lose your settings if you flash to 1.5.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
1.2 self level was very "sloppy" at times, but 1.4 and higher should be snappy. What you are describing sounds more like manual/rate mode.

Make sure you have self-level enabled via aux or are enabling it via sticks.
Reflash, some have noted similar issues and were resolved with a reflash. Note you will lose your settings if you flash to 1.5.
Positive I have self-level enabled i set it up via AUX (gear) switch and make sure it's on before I fly. There is a diffrence I hit the gear switch as opposed to AL switch. Where can I get 1.5 at the begging of the thread I only saw 1.4?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Ok I posted a video on youtube
KK2 QUAD Test Flight (1 min 44 sec)
so you can see what I'm talking about. Let me know what you guys think. This is my first quad so not sure what to expect. As you can see for the first few seconds the qud is very stable (factory settings) no tuning on this yet hovers pretty well with out having to touch anything then about 10 seconds into the flight it wants to drift forward and to the left. I bring it back to the middle of the room and then sticks off and forward to the left. Now I bring it back down, disarm auto level off, then back on again and I can get it fly stable for another 5 seconds or so and then back to hard drifting. Any and all help is GREATLY Appreciated. Not sure whats going on or if this is working as designed just dont know.

Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I'm not saying this is the cause because it drifts the exact same direction every time but testing inside is a big mistake. Prop wash plays hell on flight controllers and little things like air conditioners (5+mph winds near the vents) can push them around.

Did you calibrate all of the ESCs (end points) the exact same? Honestly I think your FC is leaning some and would probably focus on that. Just use some velcro or something less sticky/permanent to test. I used just some weak double sided tape for a gentle hover test and it worked fine.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
I'm not saying this is the cause because it drifts the exact same direction every time but testing inside is a big mistake. Prop wash plays hell on flight controllers and little things like air conditioners (5+mph winds near the vents) can push them around.

Did you calibrate all of the ESCs (end points) the exact same? Honestly I think your FC is leaning some and would probably focus on that. Just use some velcro or something less sticky/permanent to test. I used just some weak double sided tape for a gentle hover test and it worked fine.
It's 6 feet off the ground I really dont think it's prop wash. AC and HEAT are off. It's not that either. Did you notice the first 10 secs or so there is no effect then it gradually gets worse and worse. And it's not the same every time it differs. Some times it drifts forward to the left other times it drifts back. I did notice that If I set it back down disarm and hit the AL switch and then turn it back on it seems to fly better for about 10 seconds again and it starts to drift.

I took a level to the FC inside of the foam packaging and it's 99% level it's not 100% but the bubble is just about all inside the margin. I know my floor's arent completley level so everytime I sit the quad on the ground you can see pitch and roll angles are off a bit. But I did calibrate it with either 0 0 or 0 -1 which I should be able to correct with the Auto Level settings. I would not think that such a small margin would make for such a large drift.

Next step is to take the foam off and put some servo tape on the corners of the FC and see if that helps.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Auto level need to be calibrated to know where down is. If it is off it will happily try to keep the unit at that orientation at stick center and go in whatever direction that is. The fact that it is not the same each time tells me its an external force or the board shifting.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I'd still fly outdoors... less interference and removes any doubt.

If that doesn't fix it I would buy a new FC and see if yours is just faulty. Honestly what's your time worth at this point. If it isn't the FC you can just use the first FC to build a second quad
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Auto level need to be calibrated to know where down is. If it is off it will happily try to keep the unit at that orientation at stick center and go in whatever direction that is. The fact that it is not the same each time tells me its an external force or the board shifting.
The board was hot glued into position inside the foam container which was hotglued to the chasis. It didnt move it took me 5 minutes to pry everything out. The board was fixed. NOW what I did notice when I would go to calibrate the board the numbers always fluctuated a number or two it was never a fixed number. I saw that happen a couple of times. Even when I did a master reset and you see all the numbers for the gyros. With the board on the table not being touched or anything the numbers would flucuate back and fourth a number. Not sure if that makes sense.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
I'd still fly outdoors... less interference and removes any doubt.

If that doesn't fix it I would buy a new FC and see if yours is just faulty. Honestly what's your time worth at this point. If it isn't the FC you can just use the first FC to build a second quad
Once I put it back together I'll try and fly it out side and see what happens. There a few other people that appear to have the same problem. I might have gotten a faulty board. It wouldnt be the first time I got something bad from HK. My problem is I dont know for sure if it's the motor's, ESC's or FC does this sound like an FC issue?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
If you calibrated all ESCs exactly the same, and it is level to the frame, and all of your motors feel good (free), and your COG is nearest to center as possible, and you have no trims on your radio and your FC centered in the software, and it still drifts I would have to give it a 90% chance of a bad board.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
The board was hot glued into position inside the foam container which was hotglued to the chasis. It didnt move it took me 5 minutes to pry everything out. The board was fixed. NOW what I did notice when I would go to calibrate the board the numbers always fluctuated a number or two it was never a fixed number. I saw that happen a couple of times. Even when I did a master reset and you see all the numbers for the gyros. With the board on the table not being touched or anything the numbers would flucuate back and fourth a number. Not sure if that makes sense.
Which is why flight calibration averages 16 of them. But gyros are not your issue, acc calibration is.