Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:32 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
I can get mine to hover but it wants to really drift. I have to keep both hands on the sticks at all times. Any ideas on what I should attempt to correct this? I tried messing with the trim tabs but they dont seem to do much.
Tell us more about what you are flying. what flight controller mostly.

EDIT** I see now... brontide below is right on the money
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
The kk2 board is not meant to be piloted "hands off" ( I would also argue that none of them should be piloted hands off ). That said you need a few dozen hours of practice and the hovering will seem like nothing. Using self level will help a lot at this stage in the game so that you are not fighting rate mode as well as orientation.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
And another note... Always trim to 0 on the receiver screen and NO MORE. You should not be using trim to hover level since it will mess up big time when/if you switch to manual mode.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:05 AM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
very easy to fall in the trap of thinking that it is easy to fly these things with some of the videos the experienced put up.
and that is why it looks easy because they are experienced.

but don't be discouraged with that because every hour you are in the air is another hour experience you get. some flights are a little scary and some you feel like you have gone in leaps and bounds since your last flight.

and also don't stop cause someone has more experience, I have no air time with a quad as yet. except if you call an inch off the ground in the lounge room a flight (don't think so).

things I have already found out with being an inch off the ground.
1. controllers horizontal calibration done incorrectly.
this will cause the quad to drift as the controller thinks that flat is actually an
angle.
2. the left right and forward back sticks are deadly.
be very gentle with them as your TV keeps you entertain'd and the wife throws a mean plate.
3. very slowly bring the motors up to speed.
you don't want to launch your quad into outer space.
4. double check the orientation or direction of the quad.
else you may find forward is straight at your head.
5. slowly learn your switch setup.
this could have a different response that you expected.

nuff said.
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I've got a month of training now and I can take my thumb off the sticks for short periods of time. You could spend a few hundred dollars and have a quad that hovers great, but it won't matter since as soon as you try to move around you will crash it into a tree. Put in the time and rebuild it a few times and I'm sure you will make some great progress. Try not to kill anyone while you are at it.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I've got a month of training now and I can take my thumb off the sticks for short periods of time. You could spend a few hundred dollars and have a quad that hovers great, but it won't matter since as soon as you try to move around you will crash it into a tree. Put in the time and rebuild it a few times and I'm sure you will make some great progress. Try not to kill anyone while you are at it.
LOL does that exclude the wife?
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
Fly Seaplanes
Sandy Hook, CT.
Joined Jun 2009
105 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
It actually says "Error No Thro input" and Voltage 0.0v.
Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it is the first thing I thought of. then I replaced the jumper from receiver to KK2.0, Then I replaced the Receiver, and the Error stayed the same.
The Receiver is not lighting up either. Spectrum 2.4 6200 , DX6i.
Fviking is offline Find More Posts by Fviking
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
If the receiver is not lighting up then I would start there, make sure everything is wired right and replace the servo cables since its probable that one might be bad. Voltage will always read 0 until you wire up the battery monitor ( check out the kk2 thread at the beginning for a video on how to do it )
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Quote:
The kk2 board is not meant to be piloted "hands off" ( I would also argue that none of them should be piloted hands off ). That said you need a few dozen hours of practice and the hovering will seem like nothing. Using self level will help a lot at this stage in the game so that you are not fighting rate mode as well as orientation.
I dissagree here. If everything is setup properly it should stay in a steady hover with minimal drifting. That's like flying an airplane that's always banking left or dipping. The whole point is to try and make the plane fly as straight as possible with few minor adjustments. That's why they have trim tabs. If not the plane is extreemly hard to fly same as a quad. I've seen several quads in no wind just sit there do a minor drift. That's all I'm asking is how do I adjust and tune this so it's flyable. Hovering is not an issue as long as I have both hands on the sticks constantly but this makes it very hard to fly.

My quad is set to 0 on the trims and on the reciver test. It's drifting way to much backwards and to the right. It needs to be corrected. I dont mind a little drift but this is constanta hands on or it's in the dirt.

I'm using KK2.0 with 1.4FW with RCTImer 30A ESC that say thier SimonK flashed.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fviking View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
It actually says "Error No Thro input" and Voltage 0.0v.
Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it is the first thing I thought of. then I replaced the jumper from receiver to KK2.0, Then I replaced the Receiver, and the Error stayed the same.
The Receiver is not lighting up either. Spectrum 2.4 6200 , DX6i.
You need to wire your Piezo buzzer. Plug into board it's the two prongs close to the orange thingie upper right corner. +(red) side closest to hole. Then you need to wire up + - wires from underside of controller to your power distribution board.

Your other problem. Make sure you plug in your ESC to M1 it's the TOP 3 pins next to orange thingie next to LCD with the white bar accross. Make sure ground lead or (black wire) is faccing outer edge of the controller board. That should address those two issues.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
My quad is set to 0 on the trims and on the reciver test. It's drifting way to much backwards and to the right. It needs to be corrected. I dont mind a little drift but this is constanta hands on or it's in the dirt.
Is your FC 100% level with the airframe? If it is slightly uneven with the airframe then it is tilting the quad to make itself level causing the drift. Have any closeup pictures showing the frame and the FC? My apologies if you already posted.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Is your FC 100% level with the airframe? If it is slightly uneven with the airframe then it is tilting the quad to make itself level causing the drift. Have any closeup pictures showing the frame and the FC? My apologies if you already posted.
Here are some pics. The table is level the FC is level on the quad. However when i turn it on arm and disarm on the SAFE LCD Screen it says:
Roll's Angle -1
Pitch Angles -8
I'm running Firm Ware 1.4

When I set the level ontop of the board it looks perfeclty level.

I've even tried raising the front end until they both say 0 then calibrate ACC Calibration but that didnt help.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
I've even tried raising the front end until they both say 0 then calibrate ACC Calibration but that didnt help.

Thanks for the help in advance.
If you make them both read 0 then it will calibrate back to that same setting.

Do you still have a consistent drift in a particular direction you need to tip the unit in the opposite direction while calibrating and/or use the acc trim when you get close.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Is you FC supposed to be mounted on foam? It might do better more securely mounted to the frame. I have my Naza stuck on with Parma pro servo tape, can be found at most local hobby shops.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Inorder to get them both back to zero I need to tilt the back end up and to the right.
Quote:
If you make them both read 0 then it will calibrate back to that same setting.

Do you still have a consistent drift in a particular direction you need to tip the unit in the opposite direction while calibrating and/or use the acc trim when you get close.
Yes the drift is still there it's back and to the right. I'll blay with the ACC trim and see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Is you FC supposed to be mounted on foam? It might do better more securely mounted to the frame. I have my Naza stuck on with Parma pro servo tape, can be found at most local hobby shops.
I dont see why foam would hurt it softens the vibration and protects the FC.

I tried installing FW 1.2 and boy I could barely keep it in a hover. It was swaying back and fourth up and down. I reloaded FW 1.4 again and it seems better but same problem.

One thing I really like about 1.4 FW that 1.2 doesnt have is on the main screen it indicates how level your copter is with roll and pitch angles. Right now they read 0 and 0 perfect. Time for another test flite.

So I take it up and it seems to hover about as good as it's going to hover then when I pitch it back it never really recovers. From that point forward I have to put a lot of pitch(elevator) to get it going forward if not it really wants to go backwards fast. Not sure if any of this makes sense. But I really do appreciate the help.