HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
Sorry for not getting back to you before, but yes you would probably be much better off starting with a basic system to hone your flying skills before stepping up to a more complex system. There's no short-cut to becoming a competent pilot and you have to put the hours of practice in and you'll learn so much on the way as to what works and what doesn't.

LG
Oh no worries man...

I was just reading his questions and your responses and they seemed like solid advice.

Thanks bro,

PAinguIN
PAinguIN is offline Find More Posts by PAinguIN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:45 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Ok, I think I have balanced the props, but it looks like some of them are just plain warped?! They don't seem to spin in the same plane. Looking to get the wiggles out of this bird.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:02 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
I'd like to buy the DJI 450 kit and install the new KK2.0 Hobby King controller. Do you see any issues like having the holes line up properly ect....
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:00 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,295 Posts
I'm an experienced FPV pilot, but a total noob to MC.
Where do I start? I need a recommendation for a solid platform. I like the thought of a tricopter because it flies a bit more like a fixed wing plane and that's what I'm accustomed to. I'm not married to that though.
I really want long flight times for fpv with a GoPro. I want stability more than manuverability. Any recommendations? Anyone have a proven parts list?
If someone asked me about fixed wing FPV, I'd say bixler, Skywalker, or Zypher. For helicopters it's the TREX.
Is there an equivalent proven easy choice for multicopters?
What about flight controllers? How tough is it to configure Multiwii? No coding I hope. What is the KK board?
Where should I go to learn all these basics and get recommendations? Is there a good noob website that lays it all out? I'd like to see a pro/con list of different multicopter configurations.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:26 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Just to maker sure you understand. To the best of my knowledge "long flight time" with FPV on MR we might be talking 20 minutes here and that it using very large batteries. Realistically you should be striving for 7-15 minutes is the times I see kicked around especially since we are talking gopro as well.

For fpv with gopro there is no "standard" but I would look at the rcexplorer tricopter, the tbs discovery ( and knockoffs ), as well as the hexacopter "spider" designs.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:42 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Sorry I haven't been around for a bit, my new contract means that I've been working 15 hour days and haven't had much time for anything else. I am still working on my blog and am busy writing the next FPV article which I hope to finish today or tomorrow.

Don't forget that it's nearly halloween, so get your entries in soon if you want a chance to win!

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.co.uk/20...mpetition.html
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
Servo Question

In the next few weeks I'll be installing a servo to control tilt on a gopro. I noticed the servo wire on my gimbal doesn't reach all the way to my reciever (Optima 9)...are there servo wire extentions you can buy? Is it as simple as that?
tedpretty is offline Find More Posts by tedpretty
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:39 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpretty View Post
In the next few weeks I'll be installing a servo to control tilt on a gopro. I noticed the servo wire on my gimbal doesn't reach all the way to my reciever (Optima 9)...are there servo wire extentions you can buy? Is it as simple as that?
Yes. Every LHS I have been to has them.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
Thanks man...I'd still be staring at an unassembled f550 & Aurora 9 without this board.
tedpretty is offline Find More Posts by tedpretty
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:44 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Take your rx and servo to the LHS... make sure you get the right thing. It helps when you don't know what to ask for.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
i'm wondering , what is the max wind speed that is acceptable when a multicopter is flying ?
WonderKing is offline Find More Posts by WonderKing
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderKing View Post
i'm wondering , what is the max wind speed that is acceptable when a multicopter is flying ?
Depends on weight, configuration, and props. A Y6 is really stable in the wind while a flat hex can't take as much wind.

I have a 6+lb F550 on 4S with 10in Graups and after 20mph I get pretty uncomfortable. 25-30 gusts are just damn scary but I have done it.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Sep 2012
463 Posts
Wow, 25 mph of wind, that's hard!

and one more question, how do i set the right gain for my gimbal, i know if i set the gain on the multi it will wobble if the gain is too big, but how do you know if your gimbal gain is too big or too small
WonderKing is offline Find More Posts by WonderKing
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:51 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,295 Posts
What's the difference between multiwii and KK? Any recommendation on which to go with?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:43 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderKing View Post
Wow, 25 mph of wind, that's hard!

and one more question, how do i set the right gain for my gimbal, i know if i set the gain on the multi it will wobble if the gain is too big, but how do you know if your gimbal gain is too big or too small
Plug in a number record. Add more and record, better=add more and worse=go lower than the first number. Record... better? worse?

You'll eventually find it.