HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Oct 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchie_laird View Post
Hi Zacker, I am a newbie on quads myself but I do have electronics experience.
I looked at the multiwii and it is a controller with GPS for positioning, this means you should be able to set your position with your transmitter and switch across to hold and its position is then governed by GPS. all the normal features should still be there for controlling your flight.

Ritchie
thanks! I went and ordered the one from LG's Blog... It should be fine for what I need...lol Thanks again for the Info!
zacker is offline Find More Posts by zacker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Oct 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
To Zacker:

You will need one ESC for each motor, so 3 in total for a tricopter. I'm afraid that there's no way out of doing soldering and you will have to do a little bit to put some connectors on the ESCs and motors. Don't worry, it's really big, easy to do soldering.

The flight controller isn't anything to do with FPV, it's just there to provide the correct mixing to the motors/servo to keep the copter level. For FPV you will need a video transmitter and receiver set. For the flight controller I would recommend a basic controller from HobbyKing.

Battery: you can't go wrong with that one.

Power distribution: not necessary, but makes life easier and saves you some soldering.

Charger: That one will do the job

Radio: Best value radio you can get!
Ok i bought this stuff last night. now when I get it, I guess ill have to figure out what wires and stuff ill need. but i still have to build the frame too.....lol cant wait to fly!!
zacker is offline Find More Posts by zacker
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Nov 2011
63 Posts
Subaru 4wd
Thanks so much forthe info on setting the esc's
I tried to reply on your site but it wouldn' let me
Cheers, Paul
paulfromphoenix is offline Find More Posts by paulfromphoenix
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:16 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
can I adjust the pots on my HK Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 while the power is on or do I have to disconnect the power each adjustment?
It's best practice to do any adjustments with power off, just in case something unexpected happens and the copter jumps up and bites you.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:17 AM
Australia, VIC, Craigieburn
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
It's best practice to do any adjustments with power off, just in case something unexpected happens and the copter jumps up and bites you.
I had thought that and have been doing that, it just takes so long unplugging and replugging each time.
ritchie_laird is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_laird
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
I am still having trouble trying to get some stability out of it.
I tried to anchor it using rope today, I had managed to get it to oscillate while suspended from left and right sides but nearly from full on the pots to nearly zero on the pots it does the same. so I think its just fighting the anchor points.
I may have a dud board or I am missing something.

should I get the usb flash interface and put a configuration in other than the standard + that came in it?
Last edited by ritchie_laird; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: information
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Something isn't right if you're getting no stability out of it at all. Can you remind me again what controller you have. If it's a kk board and you have a multimeter you might be able to check that everything is working correctly.

My very first board was a kk board and the one time that it stopped working I traced it down to a broken gyro by using a multimeter.

Have you had a look at the pre-flight check page on kkmulticopter.com?
http://www.kkmulticopter.com/index.p...d=55&Itemid=57
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Something isn't right if you're getting no stability out of it at all. Can you remind me again what controller you have. If it's a kk board and you have a multimeter you might be able to check that everything is working correctly.

My very first board was a kk board and the one time that it stopped working I traced it down to a broken gyro by using a multimeter.

Have you had a look at the pre-flight check page on kkmulticopter.com?
http://www.kkmulticopter.com/index.p...d=55&Itemid=57
I have the HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA)http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27873
I have a multimeter and know my way around it. I don't think I have seen the link but, I have seen so many links in the last week and Video how to's I wouldn't remember it if I had.
Just checked the link and yes I have been there about wednesday.
Last edited by ritchie_laird; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Try plugging some power into the board and just check all the pins for the gyros and see how they compare. I know how frustrating this can be because I've been there many times, but don't give up, you will get there in the end.

A video showing your problems might help.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Try plugging some power into the board and just check all the pins for the gyros and see how they compare. I know how frustrating this can be because I've been there many times, but don't give up, you will get there in the end.

Will do one in the next day or so, I will also mark the pots so you can get an idea of where they are before the attempted take offs.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I just added a mini article about a large scale helicopter meeting that happened this weekend. An amazing flying location and some super models on display this year.

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr/
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:

got up this morning with the intention of doing a video but the way the wind is howling outside, I wont be doing it today.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:13 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Batteries.

Is 10v a good alarm voltage for a 3s lipo pack?
How often can I quick charge without damaging my pack?
How often should I be doing a balancing charge?
If I have 2 4ah 3s batteries and a 6a charger I can charge in parallel and charge 2 in 150% of the time or using a serial rig to charge both packs as a 6s.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Batteries.

Is 10v a good alarm voltage for a 3s lipo pack?
How often can I quick charge without damaging my pack?
How often should I be doing a balancing charge?
If I have 2 4ah 3s batteries and a 6a charger I can charge in parallel and charge 2 in 150% of the time or using a serial rig to charge both packs as a 6s.
not sure what you are using for a quick charge but, I always balance charge through the LIPO charger and it is set to the current of the lipo itself as are the voltage settings. exceeding these ratings is dangerous and should not be done.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
not sure what you are using for a quick charge but, I always balance charge through the LIPO charger and it is set to the current of the lipo itself as are the voltage settings. exceeding these ratings is dangerous and should not be done.
In parallel the batteries become a 8ah 3s battery and in serial they are a 4ah 6s. Normally I have been using the balanced or regular charge at 4ah.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide