HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 9C for DLG's?

Hi,

I am in the process of getting started again with sailplanes and more specifically, DLG's. It has been some time since I have flown due to family obligations and life in general. I own a Futaba 9C that I believe is in good repair. Not sure how old it is, but the manual has a 2002 copyright. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with.

Is this radio acceptable to get started again? My concern is I have seen them for sale at the $175 price point on line, and wonder is the technology that much more advanced today to warrant a more modern unit? I do not mind utilizing an older unit providing there is minimal risk in taking a "hit" and losing a ship. If the unit is truly antiquated to the point of safety, are there any "upgrades" that can be done to bring it more in line with today's units? I live in the Atlanta, GA area, so if a repair or upgrade is in order, who would you recommend I contact?

I don't care about having the latest and greatest of equipment, I just would like to get back into the air again.

Thanks so much for your time, I look forward to hearing from you!!

Regards,

Chris
ChristopherDavis is offline Find More Posts by ChristopherDavis
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:17 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,193 Posts
The 9C is perfectly fine to use for DLG, even more so now that mostly everyone is using 2.4. I used it for a few years 'til it went for a rain shower and I upgraded with the 10C.
I think they have a 2.4 module for the 9C and the early 10Cs.
The only way I know to get it fixed is to send it in to Futaba for service.

Good luck and welcome back.

Soar!
Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Jun,

Thanks a million! Looks like I am one step closer to flying again!

Warm Regards,

Chris
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Mar 2006
55 Posts
Hi Chris, Your Futaba 9C is plenty of radio to get back flying. Plus it's what you already own! My suggestion: Focus on finding a good new or used DLG, join the AMA, join a club, get a micro receiver (72MHz have become very affordable), good servos, jack switch, ballast, good charger, etc. Then go FLY with what you have!

Here's your local glider club
www.atlantasoaring.org

Tim
av8rga is offline Find More Posts by av8rga
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Hi Tim,
I believe we met a few years ago. I was a member for a short time of NASA, and truly enjoyed every minute! In fact, I remember eating Mexican food close to the field with several members. Buddy Roos shot me an invite to the meet in November, so plan on getting out to reconnect. Thanks so much for the reply to my questions on the forum, and the invite.
Regards,
Chris
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
I have been flying DLG with a Futaba 9CHP for almost a year now and have yet to have any problems. It's got all the programming capabilities you need for DLG. Used 72MHz receivers can be had fairly inexpensive nowadays, too. The FrSky 2.4 modules are inexpensive, excellent quality, and compatible with the 9C, so I plan to get one eventually. For now, though, I'm content with 72MHz.

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Thanks Brandon,

Good to know that the 9C is alive and well! Thanks for the advice on receivers as well.

Regards,

Chris
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
578 Posts
I can set you up with a fma receiver if you consider rejoining NASA Let me check what I have in stock tomorrow.
Ken Lilja
President of NASA
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Hi Ken,

I do plan on joining again, sounds great!

Regards,
Chris
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:16 PM
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Another place for service would be Radio South Rc? I think anyway. Also its in GA somewhere.
brs608 is offline Find More Posts by brs608
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
brs608,

I will look into Radio South, it would be nice to have a "local" service option!
Thanks a bunch for the info!

Regards,
Chris
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Looked it up. Radiosouthrc.com. Brunswick GA. Futaba authorized service center according to website. :beer:
brs608 is offline Find More Posts by brs608
Old May 17, 2013, 03:17 AM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Butterfly / Reverse

Hi Guys,

I can't seem to find the answer so i thought i'd ask here, I'm just moving my DLG's over to my old 9c so i can use Frsky. Now i've just spent quite some time going through old posts on how to program for DLG, and i have all that sorted out.

My problem is that i am so used to pushing the throttle stick up to deploy flaps for landing, but i can't seem to do that with the Butterfly mix, it only works when you lower the throttle to deploy flaps, driving me nutts as i hate it that way.

Is there anyway this can be reversed, to how i am used to deploying flaps, i can't seem to find an answer to this.

Danny
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old May 17, 2013, 06:15 AM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,513 Posts
Yes. You can do that.

It's on page 63 of my 9C manual:

"At the throttle stick 'idle' position, butterfly mixing has maximum throws. If you wish to move the ATL to the high throttle end, turn on the transmitter holding the Mode and End buttons down. You'll see a display "TX-SETTING". Press the lower Select key to get to the "THR-REV" display. Now turn the dial to reverse the throttle function. You may need to reverse the signs on some mixers after you perform this operation, which applies to all model memories."

I just tried this out with one of my DLG models and it worked. This was using a 9Csuper transmitter and model type Glider 2flap which is a very similar transmitter program to the 9C regular. After reversing the throttle function, I had to turn the transmitter off and then back on again to make everything work again.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old May 17, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
Phil, do you know if the 9C super can be programmed for using a 4-channel receiver with DLGs?
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6