HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:12 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
Dan,
Charting several models on one sheet is a great idea! Makes it easier to see where the differences are in the range of all up weights.
With the renewed trend towards lighter all up weight and higher/lower aspect ratio, it may be interesting to add a wing loading line to the sheet.
I can look up the area of the Edge 4P if you need it.

Thanks,
Craig
C Robinson is offline Find More Posts by C Robinson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG Fuselage Mold - Part 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danstrider View Post
Nice spreadsheet Craig. I'll add it to my assimilation of the data from this thread. You seemed to have the most complete list!

Dan
My pegs have all been around 1.5g and my pushrods are about 7g if you want to add those to the list. The pushrods should be lighter on the next one though. They're total overkill on the one I'm flying now.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,462 Posts
Dan,

I added some weights in a post above. Empty wing+wing wrap=127g typically. My Akcentish fuselage is 46g empty. My Gerald fuselage is 43g empty. Here are some wing weights RTF: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=261 The latter is appreciably stiffer everywhere but both planes launch identically. Probably means I need to hit the gym and a personal trainer, or let Reto blow my ships up.

IIRC my carbon wing was 137g after joining. 6g servos for a total of 149g, leaving 4g for the peg, epoxy and linkages (153g RTF). Hyperion DS09SCD's come in closer to 9g each when you add the wire weight (hence Tom's 19g for the pair, but maybe that includes epoxy?).

Typically Brian's verticals come in at 6.0g and his horizontals at 6.2g.

Nice job on the spreadsheet. It'd be interesting to see typical "modern" plane wing loadings vs. float/launch/run performance.
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:45 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2002
1,164 Posts
Updates since I bought a better $12 scale (thanks for the prompting Tom; was good to take a driving break coming up from Wilson).

Also, I measured several other models at ECHLGF and my pod has the same general nose length as all the others at 9.75". However, I don't get my servos as far forward as some of them. From LE to nose (approx): Polaris is 9.25", Fr3ak is 9.75", Stobel is 9.375", and Akcent-2 is 9.75".

Conclusion is that my tails need to be on the order of 13g total or less, servos should be put as far forward as possible (lengthen my hatch perhaps), and my boom layup will be changed to better match what I find others are doing.

Thanks for your help everyone,
Dan
danstrider is offline Find More Posts by danstrider
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Good stuff. I have about four of those scales and they're great.

FWIW, the first generation Fr3aK is 9.75" (actually 24.5cm) and since I've gotten tail weights down to around 13g I've shortened it to 9" recently. Most production kits were the longer fuse though...

Great work paring this stuff down.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,228 Posts
Could you provide a link to those scales?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:02 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Harbor Freight.

They run them on sale for $10 every now and again.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3,228 Posts
Thanks Tom. Been needing to get my own tools so I don't have to build at my work.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:07 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,776 Posts
Just to throw some more numbers out there... My pegs are around 0.9g for conventional pegs (Drela's design, including taper of 0.07" to 0.05" at the tips, made from pultruded unicarbon strip). The Gluing it in has to add a couple tenths of a gram, or likely a touch more for the rohacell skins stiffened with CA as CA is heavy and wicks a long ways. My carbon pushrods + housings are somewhere around 2g total if I recall correctly. If Phil reads this thread he can correct me with a better number; I don't have anything available to weigh at this time and am going by memory though it is posted somewhere in the thousands of posts I've made. You have to start with the next size larger teflon housing and stretch the heck out of it to get a very thin tube to hit this weight range. Just stretch it over a piece of music wire - it necks down nicely. I was amazed it would go down that far when Phil showed me.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T