HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:46 AM
Ireland, County Meath, Meath
Joined Oct 2008
86 Posts
Cool
Turnigy 1/16 4wd Nitro Racing Buggy My first nitro/glow car

I raced electric cars for a time in the mid eighties, but never had a glow powered car, and am more into planes these days.
I was tempted and clicked one one of these Turnigy 1/16 4wd Nitro Racing Buggy yesterday only $80 and hoping its good fun.
Anyone know if its a copy?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Buggy.html

Seamus O'Leprosy is offline Find More Posts by Seamus O'Leprosy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:04 PM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
707 Posts
turnigy rc's are not bad but thats for the electrics. if the quality that they use in electrics are the same in the nitro you might not be happy. parts are not very strong. if you go with turnigy i would stay with electric. if nitro look at a different kit.
traxxas13 is offline Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2008
86 Posts
No need to worry HobbyKing have just listed all the spare parts needed, and they are great value
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, NC, High Point
Joined Jan 2011
9 Posts
Hi Seamus. I am of the same background as you—some electric RC cars, mostly RC planes, made an impulse buy of this nitro buggy. I've got the engine broken in (about 5 tanks with super-rich needle setting), adjusted it to a leaner setting, and run it with a couple tanks at high speed. I like it a lot (but wish the fuel tank was bigger).
Apparently it is a clone of the IRC Vulcan (made by ACME) which was released 5 or 6 years ago.
Here's the ACME: http://www.acme-rc.com/cp.asp?ArticleId=95&Bid=28
Compare it to the Turnigy.

It looks like it's been about a month since your first post. Have you gotten a chance to run yours yet? How do you like it?

Cheers!
Spencer
Captain Amazing is offline Find More Posts by Captain Amazing
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2008
86 Posts
Believe it or not mine only arrived last week havent had a chance to run it yet HK now have spares and upgrades I ordered a two speed gearbox :-)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8624&aff=36653
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2008
86 Posts
Gave mine its first run today and its fun.
Two small issues, the yellow sponge air filter was a bit crumbley and I changed it with some sink sponge. The switch was soldered up incorrectly and was permanently on, two min's had it sorted but a bit annoying all the same.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:58 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
490 Posts
Let me bump this topic. I'm flying heli's but for windy days I ordered this buggy. I have a question though. What receiver batteries do you use? Will normal rechargeable AAA batteries work although they are 1.2v ?? And any idea how long you can drive before the receiver batteries are drained?
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:53 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Let me bump this topic. I'm flying heli's but for windy days I ordered this buggy. I have a question though. What receiver batteries do you use? Will normal rechargeable AAA batteries work although they are 1.2v ?? And any idea how long you can drive before the receiver batteries are drained?
We ran AA batteries back in the day they work pretty good you will not have as much muscle to move the servos 6 volts vs 4.8 it will make a difference. I haven't seen AAA batteries for an RX pack for a truck/car I would think a 30 to 45 minutes at the most.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:24 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
Keep in mind this is a 1/16th scale car with much smaller servos than a 1/10th scale car.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:11 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Keep in mind this is a 1/16th scale car with much smaller servos than a 1/10th scale car.
Oh ! I didn't see that I would think a smaller battery back would be fine. I would think 20 to 30 minutes on a small battery pack would be pretty good.
I forget people run them little cars to small for my big fingers
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
490 Posts
I wonder what glowplugs are used by default in this Turnigy. Any clue?
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
490 Posts
Well, tried mine today. Been busy for 2 hours with all the troubleshoot guides on Internet but it won't start
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:57 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
Is it getting fuel? Is the glow igniter in good shape? Is the plug glowing?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
490 Posts
Well, 12 days later and still no luck. Basically tried everything which I could find by reading on it or tips I got from more experienced people. What highly annoys me is a lack of a proper manual for default needle settings for this buggy. Getting the idea it came out of the factory with the needles setup wrong and I'm not able to get it right. Engine get's fuel. Tried 3 different glowplugs but it's a no go
Last edited by Chow; Mar 18, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:27 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
Have you tried priming it by plugging the carb and pulling the starter a few times?

As for the lack of proper manual, that's the risk of buying stuff from hobbyking. They have very little support for a lot of what they sell.