HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:50 AM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
207 Posts
Build Log
Footy Half Pint Too

This is a captioned picture build log for a Half Pint Too Footy designed by Bill Hagerup. The styrene hull is inexpensive and comes from Craig Huzway at Breaking Wind Boats (.com). Details kept to a minimum, because I didn't plan on doing a log, but questions welcomed. Use the design PDF as a starting point and check this log for supplemental details.
Balsa, bass wood, a few ice cream sticks, brass rod and tube, carbon tube, 30 min epoxy and filler were the materials used to complete the hull.
I tend to build heavy to Grandson proof, so lighten anywhere you can. My finished boat, ready to sail with AAA batteries was about 120g over the designers recommended 350g.

Added pictures of radio casette and fitting in measurement box.
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Last edited by jppom; Oct 02, 2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added text and pictures
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:31 AM
Mr Happy
Joined Jul 2011
207 Posts
B Sail Finished

Finally got the CLR and CE problems worked out for the mid-range high aspect sail.
Narrow hull heels quickly; high CE on sail moves aft quickly; gets aft of CLR; boat stalls out and then starts sailing backwards. Adjusted the mast bend from ~90 degrees to two 45s and moved sail forward about one inch, which solved the problem.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:42 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,267 Posts
Thanks for posting the build. Got to love the Footy class sailboats!!!
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
8 Posts
Is there room to keep servos under the deck? I am looking at ordering one of these.. Thanks..
xmod57 is offline Find More Posts by xmod57
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:18 AM
Mr Happy
Joined Jul 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod57 View Post
Is there room to keep servos under the deck? I am looking at ordering one of these.. Thanks..
Yes, but tight fit in the narrow hull for the servo arm sweep. I choose the external electronics to make a cassette interchangeable between all of the footys I have built.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
246 Posts
To be class legal shouldn't the rudder be able "of the full motion used while racing, without being restricted by any part of the measurement box"?
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:31 AM
Mr Happy
Joined Jul 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226 View Post
To be class legal shouldn't the rudder be able "of the full motion used while racing, without being restricted by any part of the measurement box"?
My rudder has about 20 degrees of movement when in the box. If I were to race it, I would have to make an original design rudder to give about 30-35 degrees. I modify most of my building to have interchangeable parts; ie rudders, keels with different ballast weights, sails ABC in sloop and Unirig, and electronics cassettes, but as I said, I don't race anyone but my own boats here in Montgomery.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
618 Posts
Great looking boat1
I need one.

Terry
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229