SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:24 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Electric spoilers from Hobby King-- mounting to BOT wing

I just got my new pair of 250mm electric spoilers from Hobby King today, and I decided to mount them to my e-BOT this evening. No sweat! They dropped in faster than a pair of servos! And at only $24.99 for the pair, it was a real bargain that couldn't be passed up.

An easy evening's worth of work was all that was required to do the job, and now I have a way of coming down safely in big air, and I can drop the Bird of Time down onto a small patch at the schoolyard without risk of overshooting into the fence. I like it!

I've had my BOT ARF for going on nine years now, and it has been a fabulous thermal ship. About five years ago I converted it to electric power (AXI 2820/10 on 3s lipos), and just recently it went through a new facelift with an all-new covering job and new paint on the fuselage. It has been an excellent ship for parks and open fields, but with no spoilers or flaps, it required something the size of a large baseball diamond to get it down without risk of hitting anything. That problem has been solved now. I will be trying it out tomorrow at the flying field, and will report back here on how well the new spoilers performed.

Anybody else tried these yet?
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts
Nice clean installation! Looking forward to the flight/landing report.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
650 Posts
Same here Thanks for posting!
R2R is offline Find More Posts by R2R
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
Sticker Field Flyer
Now in Orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2007
62 Posts
Never used them but they look cool.
Plantation Bruce is offline Find More Posts by Plantation Bruce
Last edited by Plantation Bruce; Oct 01, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:24 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
HK spoilers get a thumbs up from this thermal junkie

Well, I tried out my new spoilers today, and they work great!

I had to mix some up elevator (around 20%), as the spoilers do cause a pronounced pitch down (negative pitch moment) when deployed, but with the elevator mix set to the correct value, deploying the spoilers leads to a pleasant and completely controllable nose-level descent all the way down to the spot.

No complaints from this consumer-- highly recommended!
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Hi,
I would like to get a set of electric spoilers for my glider, but the Hobby King does not seem to be working. Is there another place to order them?
SarahW is offline Find More Posts by SarahW
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:40 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Maxx Products also sells self-contained spoilers but they cost more than Hobby King ... but the quality is probably better than HK as well.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-15.html

tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev