HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,283 Posts
SK, that laminate on the under wing joint is pointless and provides very little to no added strength as a thin laminate when used in that fashion, especially after sanding. Wrong geometry of application.

shes looking really nice and I love the carbon you added to the intake. nice touch. I just did carbon intakes and ducting on my mirage 2000 last night. still have hours of building...

cheers,
stoneenforcer is online now Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
SK, that laminate on the under wing joint is pointless and provides very little to no added strength as a thin laminate when used in that fashion, especially after sanding. Wrong geometry of application.

shes looking really nice and I love the carbon you added to the intake. nice touch. I just did carbon intakes and ducting on my mirage 2000 last night. still have hours of building...

cheers,
You are right, After sanding this morning I lost about 30% of it.
Looks like I'm going to add another two layers of 1K (it's the first time I use 1K for this type of application as I normally use a 3K cloth).

Live & Learn
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
Joined Feb 2007
2,283 Posts
i wouldnt bother adding another lam. it still wont serve a purpose and will only cause cosmetic flaws. That is a flex point and will continue to do so with or without your lamination(s).

now, laying that lam along the spar would make a difference!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,460 Posts
To tell you the truth, I don't even know if I should have put any cloth on as last night I supported both sides of the wing and put 25lbs weight on the fuse and the wing was solid with only some flex.

I guess I'm just trying to somewhat follow the instruction manual.

BTW, I got carbon cloth inside the wing panel right at the root of each spar (I will try to take a pic once I open the servo bays in the wing).
Last edited by super kupfer; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:51 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,460 Posts
Added another 2 layers of 1K cloth and it's waaaay better (will take a picture tomorrow after some sanding).
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
Joined Feb 2007
2,283 Posts
im using 8gram carbon mat tissue, multi layered on my mirage intake splitters, internal lams ect....

1/2oz glass on fuse and wings.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
im using 8gram carbon mat tissue, multi layered on my mirage intake splitters, internal lams ect....

1/2oz glass on fuse and wings.
What do you think about carbon tissue? never used it before.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:28 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
Joined Feb 2007
2,283 Posts
8gram is very thin tissue. its a matt format which is tougher to soak with resin. the fibers are held together with some sort of binder, but break loose after a few brush strokes. its tougher to use this material on tight contours and curves. best for flat surfaces. I'm using it to lam battery tray, all wood parts, ect...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,460 Posts
As far as I see it, it looks good to me, Im going to put one more coat of resin followed by some sanding and we are ready for filler primer.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:05 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,496 Posts
Looks good to me - can't hurt right
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
hello sir, awesome job building your rafale!! i love the looks of that jet. been eyeballing the 70mm foamie that HK sells. im currently building the ys-11 HK sells. its my first fiberglass airframe. im also having some difficulty figuring out how to mount the nose wheel. im planning to fallow your design, and im wondering how you were able to cut the wood form, that matches the inside of the fueselage? the complex curves, how did you get the wood mount to match so nicely? you're doing an excellent job too, thanks
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
heres what im working on. as you can see, im dealing with a nose gear problem, trying to figure out how to mount it. i plan to do something like you've done. thanks
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
hello sir, awesome job building your rafale!! i love the looks of that jet. been eyeballing the 70mm foamie that HK sells. im currently building the ys-11 HK sells. its my first fiberglass airframe. im also having some difficulty figuring out how to mount the nose wheel. im planning to fallow your design, and im wondering how you were able to cut the wood form, that matches the inside of the fueselage? the complex curves, how did you get the wood mount to match so nicely? you're doing an excellent job too, thanks
Originally there was a bulkhead there which I just extended, so it was easy for me to do this mod, what I would suggest for you to do is to cut it out of cardboard as it's a lot easier to trim and find the correct fit, once you got that figured out then just use it as a pattern to cut one out of ply or whatever you choose to use for material.

That's what I have done in the past and it works great and saves time (you can also use the wire technic where you bend it to the contour and use it to trace a line on your building material).
Last edited by super kupfer; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,642 Posts
thanks sir, thats some great advice. im sure ill be using it soon. you're doing a great job on your build, & ill be keeping an eye on it. looking forward to seeing the first flight.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:55 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,460 Posts
Last night did 3 layers of 1K carbon cloth on the top side Fuse/Wing seem and today did some sanding followed by a final coat of zpoxy resin mixed with some carbon powder (helps fill all the small little pin holes).

Tomorrow, we start sanding the entire front fuse (Getting ahead start on the finishing), once finished we will add the canard wings and canopy attachment (Then we will be ready for some primer and paint).