HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:41 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
Build Log
Aeronaut Rafale 120mm EDF

I got it back in March but due to other projects on the go I couldn't build it.

This is my second time building this bird as I had one long time ago back when they first came out, my original one was powered by the TF4000 unit with a Kontronik motor using I think it was an 8cell setup but may have been a 10cell I can't remember.

Anyways, for this one I intend to use the eflite 15-25 electric retracts (on the original I had spring air), for fan I have not made my mind yet but open for ideas, I'm thinking of going with a 12cell setup
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:05 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
I got it back in March but due to other projects on the go I couldn't build it.

This is my second time building this bird as I had one long time ago back when they first came out, my original one was powered by the TF4000 unit with a Kontronik motor using I think it was an 8cell setup but may have been a 10cell I can't remember.

Anyways, for this one I intend to use the eflite 15-25 electric retracts (on the original I had spring air), for fan I have not made my mind yet but open for ideas, I'm thinking of going with a 12cell setup
Here is my advise,

I have the same plane, i first started with Kontronic motor on 10s with the TF 4000 a few yrs back. the motor blew after 3 flights and i changed it to a scorpion motor on 10s in the same fan. The whole time i felt the plane was heavy at roughly 9lb, it was a rocket tho, could take off and go vertical till it was a small dot with over 300watt/lb. Recently i changed the motor to a 1200kv Nue motor in the TF 4000, on about 1700 watts on 6s 5000's.
It now weights 1lb LESS then my habu32 and has way more power then my habu, not only because it has a bit more watts in a plane that weighs less, but also because its 1700watts in a much larger fan. it still has unlimited vertical, its much nicer to fly now that it weighs less.

I used spring airs before, i have now purchased eflight 25 size electric retracts and im sure the weight will drop a little more when i put them in. Next step, i might get a 14 blade vasa rotor to make the sound nicer too and ill be keeping it on 6s.

For a plane that can weigh less then the habu, there is no reason so put crazy power through it, its now alot more enjoyable to fly.
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:00 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
Where did you buy your aeronaut from?
Double E is online now Find More Posts by Double E
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:37 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
I would also like to know. I've never heard of this big 120 edf and want to know more. Is it a difficult build?
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
I purchased it from wemotec.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
I would also like to know. I've never heard of this big 120 edf and want to know more. Is it a difficult build?
Its made in europe, the composite is really thin (glass reinforced with kevlar).
It only has 3 bulkheads (very easy build), the parts fit is the best I have seen (I would say as good as BVM), there is a reason I'm building a second one (its that good)

Here is a link:

http://www.aero-naut.de/en/products/...le-aramid.html
Last edited by super kupfer; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:57 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
If anybody is curious and want to know more about, here are other builds:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510916

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...t-1x-120mm-Fan

http://www.modelisme.com/forum/aero-...-aeronaut.html

There is actually two versions of this bird, there's a single 120mm or a twin I think a 70mm.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
Yesterday I got a set of eflite 15-25 electric retracts so today I started test fitting them.

The good news is that the mains fit excellent, I just have to recut the mounts due to different mounting hole pattern.

The bad news is the nose gear, due to it being a lot deeper Im going to have to redesign the entire nose mount (will show an end picture later).
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:38 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,591 Posts
http://icare-rc.com/rafale_c01.htm

excellent to deal with.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:34 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF Crazy View Post
Here is my advise,

I have the same plane, i first started with Kontronic motor on 10s with the TF 4000 a few yrs back. the motor blew after 3 flights and i changed it to a scorpion motor on 10s in the same fan. The whole time i felt the plane was heavy at roughly 9lb, it was a rocket tho, could take off and go vertical till it was a small dot with over 300watt/lb. Recently i changed the motor to a 1200kv Nue motor in the TF 4000, on about 1700 watts on 6s 5000's.
It now weights 1lb LESS then my habu32 and has way more power then my habu, not only because it has a bit more watts in a plane that weighs less, but also because its 1700watts in a much larger fan. it still has unlimited vertical, its much nicer to fly now that it weighs less.

I used spring airs before, i have now purchased eflight 25 size electric retracts and im sure the weight will drop a little more when i put them in. Next step, i might get a 14 blade vasa rotor to make the sound nicer too and ill be keeping it on 6s.

For a plane that can weigh less then the habu, there is no reason so put crazy power through it, its now alot more enjoyable to fly.
How fast is it on 6cell (1700watts)???
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:53 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
How fast is it on 6cell (1700watts)???
Its hard to say really, i can say its quite a bit faster then my stock std habu setup. ill take some pics for you some time. Is yours the Kevlar version also?
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:43 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF Crazy View Post
Its hard to say really, i can say its quite a bit faster then my stock std habu setup. ill take some pics for you some time. Is yours the Kevlar version also?
Yes, it is the Kevlar one.

My original I built stock but have noticed that some people have moded to have plugin wings, rudder, even functional canards.

I'm defiantly adding rudder, not sure about the plugin wings and maybe functional canards just for kicks.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:55 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,304 Posts
being this is powered by a 120, im rather surprised by the smaller fuse size. i almost ordered this until I saw the dimensions. maybe its just me, but seems a bit small for a 120 size craft.? this 120 is about the size of this 90 powered..

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/eurofight...34375_prd1.htm

the overall FRAME weight is about the same or heavier for the foam verison as it has way more servos, lights ect..... minus the batts.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
912 Posts
[QUOTE=stoneenforcer;22881998]being this is powered by a 120, im rather surprised by the smaller fuse size. i almost ordered this until I saw the dimensions. maybe its just me, but seems a bit small for a 120 size craft.? this 120 is about the size of this 90 powered..
[QUOTE]

It's a 120mm because back when it was initially designed/produced a typical 90mm only was 1200-1500watts. The usual 120mm was around 2500-2900watts.
Had to go 120mm just to get the power........a TF4000 combined with a Neu1912 is a very good light weight power combo. Hard to think of it in those terms when 5000watt 120's are the expected now.
-Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:22 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,304 Posts
10-4
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer