Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Thanks guys,

Picked-up all the tips browsing the internet; lots of SSE builds over the years.

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
PREP Tail Section

Good evening,

I sanded-down the triangle stock on the rudder and elevator; still had to be careful with that 45 degree angle (see pic). Completed the final sanding of the fin, rudder, stab and elevator and as per the instructions, I sanded the fin & rudder side-by-side on the flat board. Measured-up the hinge-slot locations and did a dry-fit.

Michael
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:54 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Fuse Assembly

Hi,

I started with the servo-tray prep; fit and marked the servo screw-holes, made the treads in the drilled holes and hardened with CA. I used masking tape to hold the firewall in position, adding a second piece on the opposite side at mid-section. This allowed easy line-up for the 90 degree position without having to readjust the tape. A tip I picked-up in an issue of Model Airplane.
Sections F-2 & F-3 were a tight fit and held in place while the epoxy was drying. The servo tray required some weight.

Michael
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Good, you're getting it.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:13 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Fuse Assembly II

Hi loNslo,

With everything set and dry, I epoxied the 2nd fuse side, and weight it down. I did notice a slight gap between the FireWall and F-4 (see pic)?

Michael
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:09 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
FuelProofing

Good evening,

I put the first coat of 50/50-epoxy/99% alcohol; covering the engine, tank and servo compartments.

Michael
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:55 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Fuse Assembly III

Good evening,

Cut and shaped the triangle stock to reinforce the firewall and installed the tank floor. My bad! I started dry fitting the landing gear mount without realizing it was pointing the wrong way !
I even went as far as shaping the btm of F-2 to make room for the blind nut, LOL! Go figure the plans were pinned on the wall in front of me! I got it right (I think) installed the reinforcement and applied the glue.
Almost forgot the doublers for the wing bolts to sit flush against the side walls. I’ll drill-out the holes after the final coat of fuelproofing drys.

Thanks for looking…

Michael
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:56 AM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
1st Wing Fit (Problem?)

Good morning,

I started-out to fit the wings to the fuselage and ran into a few problems. First out, the wing-bolts did not have threads all the way up to the head; so I drilled a couple of spacers, they actually gave me a better grip to screw them in. The second issue was the left wing would not sit flush against the fuse. Seems I cut the inner female tube about 3/16 of an inch shorter with the cap; so the aluminum tube had to be cut the same length.
Now over half of the left wing from the LE is sitting flush, but the trailing edge begins to flare-out half-way to about ¼” (please see pics). I got out the plans and the wing lines-up, along with the aileron. BTW, the right wing sits perfectly against the fuse. Weird, what could be the problem?

Thanks...

Michael
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:13 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
255 Posts
Difficult to tell exactly from the photo however, it appears that there is a slight
bow in the left wing root rib. Pull the wings and lay a straight edge along the fuse and the wing root to see if they are flat. That should give you an idea of where the problem lies.

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:11 AM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
1st Wing Fit (Problem)

Thanks Ron for the quick reply. You're right; I put a straight edge to both sides of the fuse and the wing's W-1 ribs. Seems the left wing's root rib is off and I'm guessing the area around the wing-tube insert and servo lead housing is high. Do you think I should begin sanding down that area and try to achieve a straight edge?

Michael
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:38 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
255 Posts
Michael
From the photos it appears that the bow is greatest at the trailing edge of the wing panel. If it were me I would measure the gap at the trailing edge then laminate a piece of balsa to the wing (the thickness of the gap) from the trailing edge back to where it does fit against the fuselage and use a long sanding bar to sand the balsa piece down so that the root rib is flat and the new piece would be feathered in to the existing rib. If the side of the fuselage is bowed I would be Leary of sanding down the fuse side if it is off by a lot. First you need to get the wing root nice and true to see where you are.

That's probably got you confused

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:13 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
1st Wing Fit (Problem)

Hi Ron,

Frustrated is more the word, LOL! You’re right about laminating the W-1 root rib; just did not want to go there. I’ll give it a shot…

Thanks…

Michael
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:49 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violets View Post
Hi loNslo,

With everything set and dry, I epoxied the 2nd fuse side, and weight it down. I did notice a slight gap between the FireWall and F-4 (see pic)?

Michael
That gap was caused by using cauls that were not flat.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:09 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Looks like the fuse formers were not all the same height.Aslo you need to be on a true(flat surface) when you want the fuse completely flat.Your gonna gain good experiance with this first build.Next plane you'll be better prepared.BUILD ON !!!!
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:50 AM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
Looks like the fuse formers were not all the same height.Aslo you need to be on a true(flat surface) when you want the fuse completely flat.Your gonna gain good experiance with this first build.Next plane you'll be better prepared.BUILD ON !!!!
stefanP
Actually it's likely that the 2X4's, which are straight enough to build the wall of a house, are simply not all that straight to use as cauls in model building. If you check them with a precision straightedge, you'll see that they aren't a good choice.