Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:46 AM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Engine Mounts

Sounds good, seems the designer had the plans well laid-out, thanks for the quick replies, should be able to get some good building time in today.

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Left Wing Assembly II

Good evening,

I just about completed the left wing assembly, getting nice joints, now, with more accurate cuts.

JMHO…

Labeling: Helps to know my left elbow from my right one; i.e. for reasons unknown, I took off the tags while doing the NAV lead extensions (goof); had to reconnect to the controller to find out which one was red .

Aliphatic Resin Glue: I understand why it’s still an all-time-favorite, using it a lot more than I thought I would. I don’t mind the drying time; gives me a chance to ponder my next moves and keep-up with those chores around the house . Wood glue is great as a gap filler for those seams.

CA Glues: Really does have its applications in joint strength and versatility, I’m started to see how it reacts with the wood and that smoke that everyone talks about. I’m easy on the pinning or I’ll have a tough time getting them out; pinning enough to position the piece. No need to over-apply, its powerful stuff and the debonder juice is a must ! I did not know it can be used with the fiberglass tape, a bonus .

Try and have a great week…

Michael
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Wings Assembled!!!

Hi,

Finished the wing assemblies last night, so I just showing off, now !
I did notice one mistake on the first wing that; my servo won’t fit , LOL!
Easy fix, but just goes to show ya…

Thanks for looking.

Michael
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Stab & Elevator

Good evening,

Tonight, I fixed-up the cap-cage for the servo on the right wing. I was going to start the ailerons but the cutting guide, I had ordered for my slot machine was defective. The good folks over at Great Planes have a new one on its way
I jump-started to the stab and elevator and was going to go with CA but opted for the wood glue. I used my tomato juice to weight down the stabilizer, but I may have stabbed the elevator to death

Try and have a great weekend…

Michael
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Wire Elevator Joiner

Good evening,

Well was this easy, not really, LOL. As marked on the plan and as in the instructions; I hand drilled the holes to keep them center. Using a rotary tool and bit I slowly craved out the grove for the wire joiner; I’m guessing the joiner must be flush with the LE on the elevator? Going with the grain (E-2) was not a problem, but you’re against the grain with E4 & E-5, have to be careful harder to crave out and keep a straight line.
Once the dry-fit looked good, I epoxied and pinned against a straight edge to dry.

Michael
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Fin & Rudder

Good evening,

As per the plans, I started out applying the fiberglass tape to the elevator. Glued and pinned the fin and rudder to the plans. I used one of the center drilled wood dowels; cut and glued these hardpoints; two for the stab and one for the fin.

Michael
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Ailerons, Triangle Stock & Slot Machine

Hi,

I opted for the cheat on the LE of the ailerons and glued triangle stock (¼”), which will be sanded flush. I received my replacement cutting guide from Great Planes and practiced doing hinge slots on some scrap.

Michael
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Prep for Wings

SeamusG, that was a “GREAT TIP” on using water droplets for surface prep (see Post 32)! I managed to rid the wings of the majority of dents, dings and pinholes!

I’m getting used to working with this Model-Lite filler; seems like great stuff and adding a little water once and a while, to control the consistency. Still figuring out the best applicator to use, the balsa dries it up pretty fast.

Thanks…

Michael
Last edited by The Violets; Oct 28, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:14 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Blind Nuts for Engine, Landing Gear and the Forward Hatch Mounts.

I measured-up the motor mount arms on the firewall and install the blind nuts using thick CA. I did have a problem with the landing gear mount, had to drill the existing holes larger, to fit the 6-32 blind nuts?

QUESTION:

Can I drill the holes on the motor mount arms later on; I’m not sure of the exact positioning?

Thanks...

Michael
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
looking good so far.I had this plane about 6 or 7 yrs ago.This was one of my frist sucessful electric conversions.I was too close to the ground with aelerions on high rate.BANG!! balsa splinters!!! As for your blind nuts on the landing gear.The outside of the blind nut is bigger and the holes are smaller so the blind nut is pressed into the wood.You should be fine.I use epoxie to hold blind nuts in.Motor mount rails I'd wait on until your coverd and ready to check balance of the plane.That way you can move the motor forward if you need to get the c/g correct.Looking good ,have fun.
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Last edited by KOMET 44; Oct 28, 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: more info.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
#44 Model Airplane Building Clinic >> “SIG Somethin' Extra”

Hi StefanP,

Thanks for the good advice, sorry to hear about that hard landing! I was debating last night, and should have gone with the epoxy, for the blind nuts.

Michael
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Triangle Stock

Good evening,

I took the sanding outside today; still pretty mild temperatures up here. The triangle stock seemed to work-out; capped the rudder and elevator.

Michael
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:13 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Wings & Hinging

Hi,

Wings required a sanding but not much filling needed. I brought out the wing plans; to mark the hinge locations on the wings and ailerons. The hinging tools worked-out perfectly; looks real professional, LOL

Thanks for looking, try and have a good evening...

Michael
Last edited by The Violets; Oct 30, 2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added Pic
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
It really does look professional. Nice job sheeting the wings, too.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
I agree nice job.I never thought about glueing tri stock on the hinging surface.I'll keep this in mind.
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44