Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:08 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Pilot & Canopy

Hi,

So I found a beautiful pilot but had to cut-her-down-to-size with the rotary tool. I filled the hollow base with some scrap balsa and glued it in place. I set her in place with a wood screw thru the base of the hatch.
Cut-out the canopy and taped to the hatch for a trial-fit.

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:23 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
A busty pilot--I love it!
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:54 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
A busty pilot--I love it!
I did not notice was looking at her straight in the eye

Michael
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:05 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Covering V (Left-Wing)

Good evening,

Tried another fit with that problematic gap on the left-wing against the fuse.
A little more filler, final sanding and I got to use the “WoodPecker” on it; did notice an easier iron job. First applying the white btm cover, and matched-up the checker-boarding pattern from the right-wing. Besides the different shade of color I think it looks okay. Covered the BTM L/E with the strip of purple and began the top wing covering with the white and over-lapped the purple. Added the 1/8th pin-striping and continued the covering pattern on to the aileron.

Thanks for looking...

Michael
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Pilot & Canopy I (My Bad!)

Good afternoon,

I really wanted to use R/C-56 or the “Pacer” R/C-560, but with US shipping restrictions and no availability at LHS; I spent the extra cash to ship-it in from another Province and what does the shop do, ships me a substitute product “Testors” 3515 C.
I was warned (thanks “TomCrump”) but hoped they (Testors) changed their formula, but that was not the case. Tried it out on a couple of trial pieces and it seemed to start-out fine, but it did not hold well with the first application on the canopy , nor with the second, third and so on. I ended-up having to glue a side at a time which left the canopy not sitting properly on the hatch. I resorted to having to rubber clamp the final side to allow the glue to dry, and it left a mark on the canopy.
Disappointed, after all its one of the main show pieces on a plane, could cover-it-up with trim tape. I would like to get a new canopy (hard to get up here) and take another shot at it; after all practice makes perfect, LOL!

Live and learn, yes…

Michael
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:35 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
576 Posts
Looking good sorry about the issue with the glue. I was at the field today was a bit cool out but had a blast and we had a fellow there absolutely ripping the sky's up with his green something extra. He didn't say what size motor he had on it be he said it was bigger than what the plans called for because he wanted lots of speed and boy did it have it.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:13 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Thanks cbarnes0061,

I'm still green, so it's my first build and it'll be the first time I’ll see a SSE in the air. Of course, I'll have an instruction from the club doing that part, the excitement is building momentum but we still got lots of snow up here.

Michael
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:36 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Hinging & Landing Gear Questions?

Hi,

I’m hoping to do the hinging and landing gear this weekend, and in need of some help

1) When I cut the covering for the hinge slots should I be exposing a little balsa and drill a small weep-hole at dead center, I remembering doing the same when I assembled my first ARF a Hobbico Super Star 40, last summer?

2) Is there a need to apply any epoxy when attaching the landing gear, should the three metal screws be enough to secure it and allowing me to change it for maybe a higher one if need be?

Thanks, your advice would be most appreciated...

Michael
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:10 AM
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
i built 2 of these kits they went very will . i loved the arf some much that i had to have one so went to hobby shop founf out they dont make arf's no more so i got 2 kits they both fly better then the arf's this is very good firt kit
raziel1 is offline Find More Posts by raziel1
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:50 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
The three screws will be enough. Do not bond the gear on.

No need to expose the balsa for the CA hinges. The weep hole in the center is good enough. I use a slot machine for making the hinge cuts, but a blade is good enough if you are careful.

She is looking good!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:03 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Thank-you Frank!

You're a good man, much appreciated, I'm good to go this weekend!

Michael
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Tail Supports

Good evening,

I started with cutting the control rods to size and cut-off the pinned arm of the solder links and clevises, with the rotary tool. The builders mat comes in handy for quick and easy measurements. After soldering the four links on the rods, I used some polishing compound and buffed them for a good shine.
The links and clevises proved difficult to drill-out the larger holes needed, went from 5/64th to 3/32nd; had to get-out my HD drill and almost burnt my bit.
LOL, what do they make these things out of
I did the necessary bends on the links and clevises for a good trial fit.

Try and have a good weekend...

Michael
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:39 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
#44 Model Airplane Building Clinic >> “SIG Somethin' Extra” (Hinging)

Good afternoon,

I started-out with installing the nylon horns on the control surfaces.
I marked the locations of the hinge-slots from the plans, cut the covering and drilled the weeps holes (5/64th) on the elevator; using the back of the blade I cleaned-out the slots and test fit the hinges.
I noticed that I had a problem; the end of the right tail fin was affecting full elevator movement, so I removed the covering and file away a little more balsa. I did not measure how much throw up-elevator requires; but I figured better safe than sorry.
Wiped everything clean with isopropyl alcohol and started gluing at each end of the control surfaces, working my way thru to the inner hinges; I was using HK’s Insta-Flex Flexible Thin CA. I moved-on to the rudder and trial-fitted the wings before hinging the ailerons, I won’t be getting anything done today; I’m sick

Thanks for looking…

Michael
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:50 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Did the bracing wire hardware come in the kit? It looks so heavy! I want to add them to my Cub but concerned about so much weight in the tail.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:17 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
That’s right loNslo, it was part of the kit, and the rods (2-56) are a little heavy but SIG urges you to use them. I won’t know what effect they’ll have until I get everything assembled and on the C.G. machine.
I’m guessing carbon-fibre rods would be an option…

Michael