HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:56 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
Anybody wants to come use my bin, you're more than welcome It seems like it would work, but there are a few problems that I see. First, if the plane doesn't release, or something else goes wrong, the plane is pointing at a very large steel object(and it's surrounded by smaller bins and the grain dryer). Second, and more importantly, it's not close enough to my "thermal" field. On a good thermal day, I might be able to fly my way there, but for an average day, I'm not good enough with thermals to make it. Might be worth exparamenting with though.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,766 Posts
Your plane may be pulled toward the steel bin, but it will go slack by the time you get within 100 or 200 feet, or however much extra line length you have. You need at least 100 feet if you don't want to climb the stairs to retreive the chute. If the area below is obstructed, you may have a point, since when you're stuck on a high start the usual tactic is to circle the stake until you land.

In my experience, thermals aren't attached to stuff on the ground, and they move around, though they often break free when they hit an obstruction. Such as a 100 foot grain bin. So if you have a place to land..

I don't know what shape your bin is, but if it's got a wide enough face it might be great slope soaring when the wind is right.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:22 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
Good point about the distance, crashing into anything wouldn't really be an issue. The bin is big and round, but stands at the end of a row of smaller ones. A more experienced flyer could probably slope with the right wind, but not me. I've tried a few times with no success and I can tell the cables and scafolding around the grain dryer are just itching to grab a plane...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,766 Posts
Probably depends on how far apart the bins are, how high they are, and if there are obstructions upwind of comparable height. An obstruction can be pretty far upwind and still create a problem.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
Holy Cow, my home made high start actually works I've got about 40' of 1/4" silicone tubing, and about 100' of 30# fishing line. Not ideal, but I've got less than $20 in it. I don't have any spare BECs, so I just plugged an ESC in to power the servos. I'm currently flying from a harvested soybean field, and my first "landing" caught some mowed over soy stalks and ripped a 6"x8" hole in the bottom of one of the wings. Every flight after that went pretty well. It was getting dark so no thermals to be caught, but even with my short high start(maybe it's just a medium start?) on a good day I can get high enough for some soaring
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:34 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,485 Posts
Congratulations on your home made hi-start. My first hi-start was home made too. Worked grerat!

You may find some useful tips here:

> Learning to use a hi-start
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2008-03.pdf Page 25
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155353
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
leadville colorado
Joined Oct 2002
60 Posts
Hey Jeff, Did you score that at the Jefferson car swap meet? If so, ya beat me to it ya dog! Good job!
2milehighguy is online now Find More Posts by 2milehighguy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
Why yes, yes I did I also scored a vintage Tamiya Grasshopper buggy for $20. The glider wasn't even really out on display, I just happen to see a stack of wings on the corner of a booth and investigated.